Latest HotRod issue get's FIRST DRIVE of new GT500 Coupe!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
chuckstang said:
the SS may get the LS7 with 505 hp but at 4000 plus pounds it will have no advantage over the gt500 especially once the modding begins :pepper:

+1 :thumbsup:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
R1Lello said:
:poke:

LR01 Cobra, are you tied to their payroll?? if so, is your paystub at least 3 years too late like most of GM's products????

HHR vs. PT Cruiser (too late, market grabbed by Chrysler and now weak)

Camaro vs. Mustang(too late, 05 + Mustang has the market and aftermarket)

Lightning vs. SS Silverado (yeah right, not even close)

etc.......

If you are right, and I doubt it, the blower motor will respond and deliver much more for less $$ than the n/a motor and the aftermarket is all Mustang right now........been to 2005 SEMA ???

who says the top camaro in 2010 will have a n/a motor? the ss corvette getting a blown motor, why not the 2010 camaro ss? and just look at the corvette. gm knows how to take weight off of thier top performances cars. not saying any of this stuff will happen, just saying dont be surprised if gm throws a few curveballs in thier recreation of a 60's icon.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Why do you think the Camaro will be 4,000 lbs? Have you possibly noticed the LS7 weighs about 300LBS LESS than the DOHC GT500 Motor! ;)

I'm still a Ford guy... but denying that GM has the best Powertrain available is nonsense... there isn't a better 'pkg' out there for Engine HP & Weight.

Either way... Ford is in the Spotlight now.. and GM & Dodge have a lot of catching up to do...

My hopes... that Ford uses the Aluminum block at some point! (pretty please)

Dave

tvguy

LR 01 Cobra said:
I know so!
I'm buying a Gt 500, I'm not knocking the car! I love it, that's why I'm buying one!
I'm just saying the Camaro will kill it! You'll see! I don't like it, but that's life!

As with almost all of my posts you'll have to wait and see!

Tim

Curiosity: Isn't the Mustang due a major change in 2009/2010? I doubt the GT500 then (probably have a different name at that point) will be the same one we will see in a month. And "kill the Mustang"? What's your definition of "kill"?? .3 seconds faster? .4 seconds faster? .5 in the 1/4 mile? No one knows right now what the GT500 runs in the 1/4, but I'd personally like to think low 12's bone stock. So "killing it" by the Camaro would have to be high 11's off the showroom floor. Possible? By then yes. What will a new "Cobra/GT 500/Shelby" run in 2010? Who knows.What I SURE of, is that the 2009/2010 top of the line Mustang (Cobra/GT 500/Shelby or whatever it's call then)WILL be a better car than what we will see in a month. So yea, the new Camaro may "kill" the 2006/2007 Shelby GT500. When it reaches the showrooms at GM dealerships, I highly doubt it will "kill" the highest performance Mustang that Ford produces in the same model year. So great, your Camaro can handle a 3 year old car. Not impressed.
pacotaco
PS. Doesn't it suck to have to wait till 2010 for the new Camaro? Not poking fun at you. I'd like to see one a hell of a lot sooner. Just sucks it's sooo far away. It's almost ridiculous to speak of it now when it's still 3 years away. Or maybe that's just me.

stang22

Established Member
IMO,If the camaro doesn't come out with a s/c with lower compression blower pistons,...I don't see it beating the shelby at all! It might be alittle lighter but that's about all it will have on the shelby(at least this years).And you don't really know what the stang will be,by the time the camaro does eventually come out,...the stang could be alot lighter and sleeker looking itself by then! There is soo much more to be had with a lower compression s/c (or turbos) engine,than a higher compression non s/c engine,especially in the modding world!

Last edited:

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
I have no doubts the Camaro will perform well,
but don't think that Ford will rest on it's laurels either.

I could care less if anything GM comes out with has the higher horsepower number,
it's proven it won't sell cars if they suck.

There's more to this business than being the biggest/most powerful engine. We know the new Camaro chassis, isn't going to be a lightweight by any means, nor is the Challenger...and that plays a huge roll. The Challenger at least knows where it stands (low volume awsome car) the Camaro has to come back into a game where it got slaughtered in the sales category regardless of how fast they were.

And if it fails this time, it ain't coming back again.
So I'm more worried about the execution, in that they won't slit their throats again.

And it's no secret on what engines GM will be working on for that time frame,
so the Camaro could have the LS7 considering the new super vette will have the S/C 6.2. 505hp vs 600(est)
And we know the Ford GT/GT500 engine can compete... but we still have no final numbers and facts on the Hurricane (which we know is built for the trucks and the mustang...and yes..it will go in the mustang... you can bet on it)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Unfortunately when the Camaro does come out it’s going to spank our Shelby,s. You can call BS on this, but remember where you herd it!
I’m positive!

Tim

this is what he said. meaning the top of the line new camaro of 2009 or 2010 will be a better performer than the current 2007 shelby.

and really it will not be that hard for gm to do. with the blue devil(the 650hp blown corvette) on its way, gm will once again raise the bar, and will have plenty of room for an awesome performing camaro to fit right in the middle of thier sports car lineup. :beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
this is what he said. meaning the top of the line new camaro of 2009 or 2010 will be a better performer than the current 2007 shelby.

and really it will not be that hard for gm to do. with the blue devil(the 650hp blown corvette) on its way, gm will once again raise the bar, and will have plenty of room for an awesome performing camaro to fit right in the middle of thier sports car lineup. :beer:
^^^ speaks the truth. i think we can see who all the ford fanboys are here. really, do you guys think that GM will let a 2007 car beat their 2010 car?!?!?! ignorant :poke:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
It'll come down to how much they weigh and how far you can mod them. The Buick GN, MKIV Supras and Terminators are respected because of the common potential; not the off-the-shelf performance, and at close to 4,000 pounds the GT500 will have to *earn* its strips just the same.

Regardless, it's a wasted discussion topic. The true value of the GT500 is still unknown and will be for a couple months until people start blowing them up and we know where the true line lies, and details of the Camaro are speculation at this point. Given the sales of the Mustang, I think GM would be insane not to produce a challanging platform; and so much the better- it'll give for some incentive to make better decisions going forward and hopefully reign in the dealer markup madness. Competition is a good thing :)

jchrystal

Established Member
Weight Reduction Pack...

Dave Schotz said:
Hey guys... got the magazine yesterday... haven't seen anything posted...

Here are the highlights of the article:

1.) First off... testing was done at California Motor Speedway... and cars were not 100% production cars (Obviously)

2.) At time of article... they were saying 475+HP (engineers said more like 485HP/475TQ on conservative 'fat' tune... and should be more when leaned out for mileage reasons). They said the first cars dynoed 435-440 RWHP.

3.) Transmission is called a Tremec TR6060 (I know alot of people didn't know exactly what it was going to be called). 1st gear is a 2.97

4.) 3.31 Rear Gear

5.) 14" Front Brakes 11.8" rear 4 Piston Front Calipers, Stock Rear w/ Better pads

6.) 18X9.5" all the way around... 255/45 Front.. 285/40 Rear

7.) Front Splitter & Rear wing are functional... 160lbs Lift + 160lbs Downforce at 150MPH... for Zero Lift. (Standard GT has 400Lbs of lift at 150!)

8.) 3,920 Coupe / 4,040 Convertible 57/43 Weight Distribution Coupe

9.) I'll quote this line for everyone "When we reported on the conept car a year ago, the target was to keep it under $40K, but it doesn't look like that'll happen"... "Ford says the final pricing hasn't been set but admits it will be in the low $40's."

10.) 7,500 cars per year minimum expectations

11.) "When the PR folks weren't looking... they snuck over to a long access road at California Speeway... and put the G-Tech up on the windshield... spun REALLY HARD out of the hole to do 0-60 in 5.1 & 12.9 @ 111 in the 1/4. The 0-60 time is a result of 'totally blazing' the tires off the line, and our itty bitty window of time with the car meant we didn't horse around w/ Calibrating the G-Tech. But we're completely comfortable in saying that this is an Easy 12 second car."

12.) GT500 BOLT-ON Speedparts! "There will be a 'Power Pack' that will increase blower boost and add exhaust and air intake enjancements. A GT500 specific 'Drage Pack' is the Power Pack plus, headers, perhaps a new rear gear, and a shifter. The 'Handling Pack' will lower the car an inch and include adjustable shocks & strutes. Then there's a s'Super Pack' a blower upgrade to a 3.3L Whipple twin-screw huffer"

13.) FRPP is also developing a driveshaft kit, brake pad upgrades, and a brake duct cooling kit.

That is at least all the 'major' stuff... that I caught!

Hope this helps!

Dave

When does the weight reduction pack come out? Something to put it in the 3400lb range where it belongs :)

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
No wonder my 03 motor is so strong...

It was built by the same two guys on the label on page 50!!!!
:beer:
Evan
03 Cobra Motor Built by
Bob Hubbard and Bob Mcintyre

R1Lello

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
who says the top camaro in 2010 will have a n/a motor? the ss corvette getting a blown motor, why not the 2010 camaro ss? and just look at the corvette. gm knows how to take weight off of thier top performances cars. not saying any of this stuff will happen, just saying dont be surprised if gm throws a few curveballs in thier recreation of a 60's icon.

:poke: At $100,000+ Canadian or the Viper at $130,000 + , they better be lighter. Give me a break

Geez, why don't we wait until 2015 for the super SSSSSS, no!!, enjoy life now.

Tony Alonso

Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
Why do you think the Camaro will be 4,000 lbs? Have you possibly noticed the LS7 weighs about 300LBS LESS than the DOHC GT500 Motor! ;)

Dave, I posted about something I read in Motor Trend recently. It mentioned the new Holden sedan which is underpinned by the chassis expected to be used in the Camaro weighs 4000lbs. So, it is possible that the new car's weight could approach that, depending on what they are able to change and the size of the car.

It's speculation, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread