Launching Techniques/Tips

A.M.R

Established Member
Hello guys, this is my first post ever on this forum. My name is Amr and I'm from Qatar. I've owned my 2013 Shelby for almost 5 months now, and it's been a blast. So far, the car is stock except for the dual fan heat exchanger i got from Revan Racing and an mgw short throw. I plan on adding more power to the car later on, but for the moment I honestly feel the car has more than enough power, and it would be better to focus on getting that power to the ground.

Anyway, the reason for my post is because I'd like to get tips from people on how to launch the car. I've taken my car to the drag strip around 3-4 times so far (never went before that...EVER). The first time, I was able to get an 11.9 with stock tires and using LC. The second time, I was running MTs and managed to get an 11.5 with all the nannies switched off and releasing the clutch at 3000 rpm.
But with the nannies switched off, the car still bogs, and if it doesn't, it just spins like crazy.

Here is a pic of the time slip

unnamed_zpse879e806.jpg

So I'd just like to get some step by step tips on how to launch this thing properly (with the nannies off & slicks), so I can improve my 60' times (i.e. dump the clutch, slip the clutch, RPMs etc....)

Here are a few pics of the beast :)

20131112_144937_zpsdeacfcae.jpg

20131112_145022_zps3ee2f3d8.jpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Are you trying to slip the clutch out of the hole at all? If so I'd say the bog is coming from the ECP (Electronic Clutch Protection). IF it is indeed ECP you can consider getting a tune for the car to turn that off. If that's not the issue I'd look at getting a BMR rear suspension kit to help plant the car, and then work on tire pressures/burnout/launch rpms since you already have the tires.

A.M.R

Established Member
Are you trying to slip the clutch out of the hole at all? If so I'd say the bog is coming from the ECP (Electronic Clutch Protection). IF it is indeed ECP you can consider getting a tune for the car to turn that off. If that's not the issue I'd look at getting a BMR rear suspension kit to help plant the car, and then work on tire pressures/burnout/launch rpms since you already have the tires.

I'm actually not trying to slip the clutch, most of the time it's a quick lift off the clutch. I tried slipping the clutch before, but you could start to smell the damage that was doing, so I was worried to do that again. I was watching a few of Birddocs youtube videos, it seems he revs up the car slightly after staging, and once it goes green, it sounds like he just dumps the clutch and mashes the throttle. I tried that, but it failed badly :p. I must be doing it wrong :??:

I'll definitely be getting some BMR suspension parts to help plant this thing to the floor.

Welcome to the forum Amr from Qatar. Nice looking ride.

Thanks Tob!!

11.5 @ 202MPH lol.. Then I read the whole slip.. KPH

Haha, yes it's obviously in kmh, they should probably right that on the slips

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Very nice looking ride!! With all the super cars running around over there does the Shelby get any love? haha, I can't help you with the launch.. here's what I do - don't time it, and control the spin! Good luck, maybe BirdDoc will chime in with advice.

A.M.R

Established Member
Very nice looking ride!! With all the super cars running around over there does the Shelby get any love? haha, I can't help you with the launch.. here's what I do - don't time it, and control the spin! Good luck, maybe BirdDoc will chime in with advice.

Thanks dude!! Haha, no it doesn't draw as much attention as some of the supercars we have here, but that's fine with me; I bought this car for my own amusement, and so far I love everything about it (except maybe the diff whine :p)

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
If you are on a tire, you need to launch high enough in the RPM's not to bog down when you take off. I bought a set of M/H 325 DR's and went out to the track. I was messing with tire pressure and launches until I got it right.

End result for me was 18psi in tires, and launch at 3600. That resulted in a a 1.72 60ft, which is the best I have ever done. So basically you need to get it where you want to be and get the seat time going.

Also one last thing. Make sure you heat and clean off the tires. You do not need a John Fore burnout, just heat em up for DR's. I was given advice from a member here, and it worked for me.

I rev up to 4 with the tires in the edge of the water box, drop the clutch and hit the brake with my clutch foot. I modulate the revs, and when I see white smoke I count to three and disengage. That is what worked for me so far. GL ! and Welcome to the Forums.

A.M.R

Established Member
If you are on a tire, you need to launch high enough in the RPM's not to bog down when you take off. I bought a set of M/H 325 DR's and went out to the track. I was messing with tire pressure and launches until I got it right.

End result for me was 18psi in tires, and launch at 3600. That resulted in a a 1.72 60ft, which is the best I have ever done. So basically you need to get it where you want to be and get the seat time going.

Also one last thing. Make sure you heat and clean off the tires. You do not need a John Fore burnout, just heat em up for DR's. I was given advice from a member here, and it worked for me.

I rev up to 4 with the tires in the edge of the water box, drop the clutch and hit the brake with my clutch foot. I modulate the revs, and when I see white smoke I count to three and disengage. That is what worked for me so far. GL ! and Welcome to the Forums.

Awesome dude, next event I'll try playing more with the tire pressure. I kind of just left it at 20psi the last event and just assumed it was me screwing up the launches.

Just one question. When you release the clutch, is it a quick release (almost dumping the clutch) or are you slipping?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Awesome dude, next event I'll try playing more with the tire pressure. I kind of just left it at 20psi the last event and just assumed it was me screwing up the launches.

Just one question. When you release the clutch, is it a quick release (almost dumping the clutch) or are you slipping?

Well I tried both...With me, if I slip it...I tend more often then not to bog....So I am holding the clutch right at the engage point and doing a quick release. That is what seems to work for me.

A.M.R

Established Member
Well I tried both...With me, if I slip it...I tend more often then not to bog....So I am holding the clutch right at the engage point and doing a quick release. That is what seems to work for me.

Thanks Ninjak, I'll give that a shot in the next event!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread