Leather Seats/Conditioning

M3xpress

Established Member
Not a Mustang/SVT, but a Ford.

Recently had some leather seats re-upholstered in an F250 and I was wondering what is recommended to keep the seats conditioned/soft to help with wrinkles and wear.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Leatherique or LeatherMasters.

Using both right now. LM seems to work a little better on coated leathers and 'pleather' materials.

LM: Rapid S Cleaner, Vital, Protection cream

Leatherique: Rejuvenator Oil, Pristine Clean.

Both setups seem to work well. LM is a lot easier to use and less mess (and less time) so I tend to use it more often. Leatherique still is much better at softening the leather though.

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
I have used quite a few different products in the past but a friend of mine turned me on to Chemical Guys Products. I picked up their leather cleaner and conditioner and they work great. I have used them on my Jeep, TL and on the Cobra. Its very easy to use and yields a great result. It also does not have an overwhelming odor like some of the other products i have used have. The leather conditioner really brings out the scent and softness of the leather. Its a moisturizer that you just rub into the material and it just absorbs as much as it needs.

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
i've heard of some people using blue painters tape

That would probably be a good idea. I don't personally have suede in my Cobra, but if I did I would use the tape. Whats good about the chemical guys is that its a cream that is applied just like wax. I apply it to a microfiber applicator and just rub it in.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I've tried a lot and my favorite is by far Optimum Leather Protectant. Most common leather or vinyl upholstery is coated in a protective finish that really doesn't allow much to penetrate the actual textile. If you talk to most upholsters about it, they'll probably tell you to use whatever gives you the better smell and sheen because the idea of actually "conditioning" it is kind of a marketing gimmick. If you have actual bare leather, that's a different story and I still recommend the Optimum LP or PoorBoys Leather Stuff. I also like Lexol.

RedFord96

Established Member
I just used Lexol on my car today. Seemed to help out a bit on the more worn parts of my seats. My seats are all looking and feeling better already. The smell is a little funky I guess, but not bad.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I've tried a lot and my favorite is by far Optimum Leather Protectant. Most common leather or vinyl upholstery is coated in a protective finish that really doesn't allow much to penetrate the actual textile. If you talk to most upholsters about it, they'll probably tell you to use whatever gives you the better smell and sheen because the idea of actually "conditioning" it is kind of a marketing gimmick. If you have actual bare leather, that's a different story and I still recommend the Optimum LP or PoorBoys Leather Stuff. I also like Lexol.

^^ what he said...I love that stuff, I think the new formula is called "Optimum Protecant plus"

I usually will give a good cleaning every 1-2 months by first wiping down with Meguire's APC cut 15:1. Then a light coat of Pinnacle Leather&vinyl cleaner to get the main cleaning and then follow up with some Four Star leather Protectant or Optimum PP. I have gone through alot of leather products from Autogeek.net and have liked most of them (i just buy whats on sale there)

Duragloss leather products,Four Star leather products, Pinnacle leather stuff, and Optimum...all has worked well

Users who are viewing this thread