Leaving for Pattaya Thailand in 16 days, any and all advice welcome!

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
On the 25th I am heading to Thailand to train Muy Thai at the Fairtex camp in Pattaya. I am traveling alone and will be there from November 26th to December 11th. I have never traveled this fair alone before, and never been in a culture remotely close to this.

I am landing in Bangkok and it seems about an hour away from Pattaya by car, but I'm not sure the best or safest way to travel from one to the other. I have 2 training sessions a day, but plan on taking days off to tour the city and see the beaches and temples. Any and all advice on what to see, what i should and shouldn't eat, or really anything would be appreciated. I would love to do something once in a lifetime like swim with elephants or go on a mountain hike. However I am not at all a party animal and not the type to be out drinking at 3am. So anything along the lines of late night boozing or girls I really have absolutely zero interest in.

I have all my immunizations up to date including Hepatitis, Tetanus, Typhoid, Flu, and Malaria . I know I shouldn't drink water that isn't bottled, and look out for ice. But what sort of cocktails, beers, drinks or food/soup could I try and be safe with? Also I have all my immunizations up to date. Thanks again!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was in Pattaya at the beginning of the year. You'll have a good time but it's pretty dirty! The beach there is small compared to what we have in the states and I wouldn't recommend getting in the water. There's a couple zoos there with one being the equivelent of a trailer park sheltering 2 or 3 dozen elephants that you can ride as well as a massive Tiger that's on a short chain you can touch and get a picture with. I don't recommend it because that thing looked pissed and was pretty unruly. It was also kind of sad. The other zoo is legit and has a ton of tigers,but they look a little malnourished which is a little sad too. You can hold the babies and feed them though which was cool.

If you get out to the back country where I Ipent most of my time the people are nice and very welcoming and the food is good, but you got to be careful because we all got really sick from something there.

Not sure what else to say except it was a blast of a trip; the highlight of my deployment by far. If you're a fighter you should be fine as far as handling yourself but everything they say about fighting there is true. Also, there' a ton of Russians there, it's a big destination spot for them. Be careful if you get into it with any of them because you'll most likely be dealing with the mob if they own any of the clubs there.

Oh, and for beer, I recommend Chiong. Really wind it out when you say it to them too... Like "Chiooong". Seriously, I got corrected so many times lol.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
I lived in Bangkok, wife is from there too and is now with me in the USA. If you haven't already paid them i'm going to suggest you switch to a training camp in Phuket or Samui. Pattaya is Thailand's armpit shithole - lots of seedy Russian Mafia, prostitutes, euro trash....not the real Thailand.

I can't help you on Pattaya, but if you want suggestions about Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Phuket, or Bangkok, message me.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Your going to Thialand and your not interested in drinking til 3am and girls? Sounds like a wasted trip lol.

Stay at any of the nicer hotels and they team with local guides to take you on trips. I rode elephants, and went to the tiger zoo. Pretty cool to lay ON TOP of a 5oo lb big cat. They are prob stoned out of thier minds but still a cool experience.

Also if you have time, take the train to the bridge over the river Quai. There is a cool museum there, plus you get to see alot of the country.

If you want to go get a drink and see some live entertainment, tell the cab to take you to Nana plaza, upscale, clean, seemed pretty safe, would def go their alone.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Not sure if you would have time, but Charles Schwab offers a no minimum, free checking account that has a debit card with zero international fees, and world wide ATM withdraws without any fees. I've used mine all over Europe and into Africa. It's hands down the best bank card if you are from the US and want to use plastic overseas. Plus it comes with chip and pin, which is a requirement at places like train ticket machines in Europe.

oldmodman

Established Member
Stick with bottled sodas and beers, ever for brushing your teeth.

And if your buds do drag you along to a bar, be careful. That really cute girl just might be a boy.

VegasMichael

Established Member

And if your buds do drag you along to a bar, be careful. That really cute girl just might be a boy.

Or used to be a boy but traded in the equipment for something more sporty....

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member

LOL!!! That was too damn funny and perfect use of the link. 50 internets to you sir!

I'll be going alone so I highly doubt I will even enter a bar. I have a girlfriend with a 4 year old daughter. Was never the one to sleep around in highschool or college, and i sure as HELL won't in such an STD ridden place regardless of martial status lol.

Your going to Thialand and your not interested in drinking til 3am and girls? Sounds like a wasted trip lol.

Stay at any of the nicer hotels and they team with local guides to take you on trips. I rode elephants, and went to the tiger zoo. Pretty cool to lay ON TOP of a 5oo lb big cat. They are prob stoned out of thier minds but still a cool experience.

Also if you have time, take the train to the bridge over the river Quai. There is a cool museum there, plus you get to see alot of the country.

If you want to go get a drink and see some live entertainment, tell the cab to take you to Nana plaza, upscale, clean, seemed pretty safe, would def go their alone.

Hahaha, Ya well I've been doing martial arts since I was 4 and competed throughout my teenage years. So learning from the best in the world is really all I care about doing! But that is a great point to look at what the hotel has set up. Im staying at the Fairtex hotel where I'll be doing all my training, so its a beautiful hotel and I'm sure they will have links for excursions. That is exactly the type of thing I would want to do in my off days when I'm not seeing the historical temples!

I lived in Bangkok, wife is from there too and is now with me in the USA. If you haven't already paid them i'm going to suggest you switch to a training camp in Phuket or Samui. Pattaya is Thailand's armpit shithole - lots of seedy Russian Mafia, prostitutes, euro trash....not the real Thailand.

I can't help you on Pattaya, but if you want suggestions about Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Phuket, or Bangkok, message me.

I hear ya on Pattaya and it being a shithole. I admit that when I made reservations 6 months ago I was a little hasty and booked mostly because Fairtex is such a reputable name in the fighting world. There are things I would like to see like the Temple of truth and the gardens, but it looks like I'll be spending most of my time in the hotel. Training is 3 hours a session twice a day, which doesnt include my own workout routines. I'm starting to wish I had booked with Tiger in Phucket, but maybe that will be next trip. I will be landing in Bangkok and only an hour drive away so I'll shoot you a PM for a little advice on things to do or see around there. Thanks!

Not sure if you would have time, but Charles Schwab offers a no minimum, free checking account that has a debit card with zero international fees, and world wide ATM withdraws without any fees. I've used mine all over Europe and into Africa. It's hands down the best bank card if you are from the US and want to use plastic overseas. Plus it comes with chip and pin, which is a requirement at places like train ticket machines in Europe.

I leave on the 25th of this month, so thats about two weeks. I will look into this tomorrow since i have absolutely zero experience spending overseas. I have only ever been to canada and mexico.

It seems like I'm going to place a lot of faith in my hotel as a backup/go-to for food, excursions, and advice. Its a 5 star resort with some of the best muy thai training available. They provide me with 2 meals a day free of charge, filter their entire water system, and free laundry. I'm kinda bummed at how shitty Pattaya is and I honestly wont spend much time out at night. I may be an excellent fighter but I am only 24 and I know I will be taken for an 'easy target'. Majority of the people in the states severely underestimate me and I've had friends say "you're a fighter?! You look like a friendly librarian!" So I'm pretty much expecting for people to try and take advantage of me off the bat.

I appreciate all the input guys. The closer it gets the more nervous I'm getting! But you only live once, so lets see what the other side of the world is all about.

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I do too! I expect some incredible pho while I'm there. On my layovers I stop at Beijing and Tokyo too for 4+ hours so I except incredible Asian cuisine this trip!

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
You'll be fine on your own there, Thai people are generally pretty friendly and don't mess with you too much (since you don't plan on going to bars). I've been to Pattaya around 15 times. Go to some of the restaurants there, you won't get much fresher seafood. It's sitting on ice and you choose what you want, then go sit down. The local soups shacks on the side of the road are delicious.
Must try foods though are pad ka pow moo, laab moo, tom yum

Your hotel is not too far from the market Big C, it's a decent walk maybe 15 minutes. It's like a Walmart. The best way to get around is jeepney. Trucks converted to open cabs. Just jump on like everyone else, if you flag one down like a cab you'll have to negotiate a price to where your going. Normally they run in a big rectangle down beach road, then make a left on central pattaya road, make a left on the 2nd beach road (forget the name), back down to near your hotel.

And a last thought, don't play connect 4 with them. You'll lose.:uh oh:

Users who are viewing this thread