Leaving my whipple for TT

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, you're going to be really happy with a turbo setup. Post a video when it's done. ;)

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea thats one thing I don't miss about my blower is the dam belt slip, break, shred etc..... **** all that! Turbo is better in EVERY way! Wanna cruise around at 600 whp thats easy just hit a button. Wanna put it on kill hit another button. No pulley swap BS!

stangfreak

Established Member
My tuner keeps pushing me to go turbo. He is like all you did for the past years is upgrade your twinscrew and you are still stuck within the same hp range. buy sell buy sell for the next best twinscrew to only gain a few more hp here and there. all that work. I am getting parts ready for my auto swap. Once thats in place, I think I will be calling CG fab a call and going twin turbo. I am sorta tired of the blower.

GodStang

Established Member
My tuner keeps pushing me to go turbo. He is like all you did for the past years is upgrade your twinscrew and you are still stuck within the same hp range. buy sell buy sell for the next best twinscrew to only gain a few more hp here and there. all that work. I am getting parts ready for my auto swap. Once thats in place, I think I will be calling CG fab a call and going twin turbo. I am sorta tired of the blower.

I am with you on that. I am pretty sure I found why for the most part we are stuck at a power point on the Twin Screws and no one has ever addressed it. If I can't come up with a solution then it is either a different motor type that negates the issue or it will be time to go Twin Turbo also.

Best of luck to the OP and keep us updated with pictures! I love pictures!

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Love the whine of the S/C, but you can't argue with the performance/ reliability of TT.

Good luck with the build. Based on the YouTube vids I've seen, the TT cobras are effing wild.

stangfreak

Established Member
I am with you on that. I am pretty sure I found why for the most part we are stuck at a power point on the Twin Screws and no one has ever addressed it. If I can't come up with a solution then it is either a different motor type that negates the issue or it will be time to go Twin Turbo also.

yes OP post up pictures!

I love the blower. It makes a fun street car. Im doing a 6R80 swap. It should be a blast to drive around with my 2.9 whipple on 22lbs. since 2004, I have been swapping blowers and I am barely making 700rwhp. I was making 716rwhp but not sure what happened with the new vp fuel, new fuel system, it dropped to 680. I need to go turbo.

plus it would be nice to go from pump gas to race gas without pulley swap, retuning, worrying about the crank, etc. Joey the tuner at mustang magic has been telling me this for years. He doesn't even recommend people doing a 3.4 whipple. He has two project cars he is doing. He is reviving snake bite and has a fox body with a 04 cobra motor with a 3.4 whipple. He doesn't like the 3.4 bc it makes too much heat and he needs to run it on e85 to keep things cool.

The liquid cooled kbs he told me a story and I never bothered with those blowers. so I think turbo is the wy to go. Unless I sell my cobra and get a coyote. But then I will be making car payments and starting all over to mod. Too much money

zredfire04

Established Member

mind sharing with us what you've found? just curious.

up to a point, imo turbos are better. then superchargers take over again...top fuel, for instance. it's not that superchargers can't get the job done, there's just other things that have to be in place for that happen.

stangfreak

Established Member
mind sharing with us what you've found? just curious.

up to a point, imo turbos are better. then superchargers take over again...top fuel, for instance. it's not that superchargers can't get the job done, there's just other things that have to be in place for that happen.

Funny you mentioned that. I remember my buddy said the same thing back in 03. Top fuel use blowers. He was a blower guy. It just seems harder making big power with the 4.6. If you bump up the compression, you are limited to how much boost you can run IMO and you just create more heat with more compression. The shelby guys are making big power with these blowers. But then again, the big blowers just make tons of heat. I think our best bet is to go turbo if we want big power made easily.

Im curious to know what godstang found

01yellercobra

Established Member
IMO the limiting factor is cubic inches. You can only do so much with 281cid. Look at how well the LS guys do. They have a lot more displacement to work with.

stangfreak

Established Member
IMO the limiting factor is cubic inches. You can only do so much with 281cid. Look at how well the LS guys do. They have a lot more displacement to work with.

yes but the look at the coyote motors. I think the coyotes have bigger heads as well. There doing it with a 5L motor. so many variables.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I would love to go turbo. But, I will forever be stuck on the fact that they sound terrible with an exhaust IMO.

svtmemo

Established Member
I guess it all comes down to your goals with the car. If you want a fun snappy street car stick with a blower, if you are looking for top speed runs at the track/street go turbo. Personally I like the way my cobra drives with the eaton which will soon be replaced by a TVS blower.

Anyways lol good luck and congrats with the build OP. :)

zredfire04

Established Member
i plan to go with a tvs in the cobra on corn eventually.

i have a 67 f100 project truck that will get a crown vic front end and twin turbo navigator motor on corn some time after that.

one is a street car, the other a lethal street/strip truck.

KEVINS

Established Member
When I was looking for a Mustang I came across two identical manual trans 2002 2V cars the only difference was that one had a YSI and the other TT. Both were making a little over 700 on pump gas. I chose the TT car and never looked back. It's now making over 900hp through an auto and through the muff's and I never had to worry about cranks being double keyed, belt slip, throwing belts, etc. Just turn the WG's up to make more power or turn the WG's down to make less.

ks

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member

Intercooler?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GodStang

Established Member
Intercooler?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bingo. Flows around 800 cfm compared to the 2007-2010 that flows 1000cfm and the later at near 1100cfm. Our issue is of course space. For the guys running high boost like me 25psi+ I really think this becomes an issue. 2000cfm leaving the blower hitting an object that flows sub 1000cfm.

Some Stage III Trinity heads with Custom Cams and an intercooler that flows and should easily be able to hit big numbers and big times.

Of course for the money the Turbo would be cheaper, easier, and nicer on the engine.

stangfreak

Established Member
Bingo. Flows around 800 cfm compared to the 2007-2010 that flows 1000cfm and the later at near 1100cfm. Our issue is of course space. For the guys running high boost like me 25psi+ I really think this becomes an issue. 2000cfm leaving the blower hitting an object that flows sub 1000cfm.

Some Stage III Trinity heads with Custom Cams and an intercooler that flows and should easily be able to hit big numbers and big times.

Of course for the money the Turbo would be cheaper, easier, and nicer on the engine.

I had a hunch about the intercooler. It was mentioned in the past. Guy I knew had one made a while back. 3.4 whipple setup. Didnt gain anything. My tuner said he spent a decent coin on it and no improvements. Not sure what the flow rate was.

Users who are viewing this thread