Legitimate Lightning Mechanic Needed

smilinjack

Established Member
Hello all, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! My 2000L (bought new) (21K) is having some issues staying running and I can't figure it out. I can perform all the work necessary to fix her but can't figure out what the issue is.
I would be happy to find a Legit performance mechanic to troubleshoot my baby and possibly do the fix if it's over my head. She's modded pretty good but nothing too radical. Does anyone out there know of such a person or company, preferably in S. E. Michigan, that I could hire? And NOT Livernois Motorsports! I can put her on the trailer to get her where she needs to go if there's nobody close by. Thanks, Jack

utlong31

Established Member
I would get in touch with JJ at Woodbine Motor Sports. He tunes and works on a lot of these trucks. He’s a good guy and knows what he’s doing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
When my 2000 had troubles staying running, it ended up being my MAF sensor. Don't know if that helps, but its a place to start.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When my 2000 had troubles staying running, it ended up being my MAF sensor. Don't know if that helps, but its a place to start.
true, unplugging the maf should throw it into the failed maf table and at least idle if thats the issue

smilinjack

Established Member
The issue is stalling at idle but there is some background to the problem that is going to seem rambling to describe.. Last year went to a cruise locally, and of course being the only lightning I put on a show of power with numerous burn outs for the spectators. Well she overheated and started running kinda rough so I put her to bed for the winter. Beginning next season I figured I burned a plug or 2 so I gave her a change of plugs which seemed to solve the problem. I then decided to charge the AC that hasn't been used for years (PITA), took her out for a spin, gave her a rip, and she started running rough only this time she wouldn't stay running. I put her up on jacks and just drove my other hot rod around the rest of the season. Didn't want to get hung up fixing during our short season. I'm making 18# of boost, EGR delete, Kennebelle SC, Manley internals, etc. etc. For the past few seasons she's been giving some blow by at the coolant reservoir, changed the cap, and it reduced but didn't totally stop the blow. So, short story is I'm not sure where to start ,or if I really want to start, but would prefer to have her diagnosed by someone familiar with these trucks.
If push comes to shove I will tear her apart but I'd rather pay a certified Lightning technician so I can play with my other toys while waiting to find out. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Thanks for your interest

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id check and see if another plug is hurt and do a compression test while you're at it. Kinda sounds like a possible head gasket. If its pushing coolant out of the res then a test kit that will pick up exhaust gas in the coolant might also pick up a bad head gasket.

I hurt my magnum powers truck at the truck with high IAT2s, plug or two looked pretty rough and ended up leaking coolant between head and block.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
id check and see if another plug is hurt and do a compression test while you're at it. Kinda sounds like a possible head gasket. If its pushing coolant out of the res then a test kit that will pick up exhaust gas in the coolant might also pick up a bad head gasket.

I hurt my magnum powers truck at the truck with high IAT2s, plug or two looked pretty rough and ended up leaking coolant between head and block.

That would be a very good place to start. Have the fuel pumps ever been changed?

If you're willing to travel, Paul at Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill, SC is an excellent mechanic.

smilinjack

Established Member
Thanks... I kinda suspected a head gasket but am reluctant to do the compression test as it takes a day just to change the plugs on these trucks!! I was unaware of the test kit for xhaust gases in the coolant. I'm on that! I'm also considering going with a 4 pin hood anchor ( no hinges ) so when I do start my latest venture with my baby I won't be looking like " a monkey screwing a football ". :) Any tips out there about what pins might be best? I was lookin' at the ones with the poly isolater by Daystar. Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure how much that KB interferes with plugs, had the stock blower down to under an hour

smilinjack

Established Member
I've got the right combo of tools but have a lot going on between me and the plugs. Supply and return temp hard piping from intercooler, window switch tach wiring to coil over, nitrous control box (same size as intake filter box : stealth) etc. Looked damn cool when I built it : THEN I discovered I had to work around it all! But that's okay, I still think it's cool , just a pita

smilinjack

Established Member
So, I checked in to the coolant tester for possible head gasket leak and also located a pressure test kit for the coolant system. I'm thinkin' the pressure tester would give me info on the possible breach of the coolant on the gasket (amongst other uses) and I could inspect oil quality to see if there is a breach in that on the gasket . Would I be correct in that approach?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So, I checked in to the coolant tester for possible head gasket leak and also located a pressure test kit for the coolant system. I'm thinkin' the pressure tester would give me info on the possible breach of the coolant on the gasket (amongst other uses) and I could inspect oil quality to see if there is a breach in that on the gasket . Would I be correct in that approach?

the head gasket might not leak under standard pressures, it may need the additional pressure of cylinder combustion to show up. You can have no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant and still have a failed head gasket

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
If you can't figure out the issue in the garage....
There's two shops in Eastern MI:

Alternative Automotive, Chesterfield

Pauls High Performance, Jackson

.....................................................................................................

Maybe for a second-opinion, call JDM Engineering out in eastern New Jersey

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, so the answer to positively detecting a blown head gasket is?
Unfortunately it’s process of elimination since they can fail different ways.

If there’s no fluid mixing I’d probably get the coolant testing kit and test that (assuming you didn’t just fill the res with new coolant after it was last driven).

Maybe it’s not ahead gasket and it’s running rough for some other reason and you just happen to have a bad coolant tank or cap or something causing it to overflow

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have a junk van in my driveway,
Head issues. Over heats and blows coolant

Compression test was equal to other cylinders.

Added air to radiator. 16lbs
With plugs out.
Took a bit but eventually water came out plug hole .

No water in oil

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you can't figure out the issue in the garage....
There's two shops in Eastern MI:

Alternative Automotive, Chesterfield

Pauls High Performance, Jackson

.....................................................................................................

Maybe for a second-opinion, call JDM Engineering out in eastern New Jersey

AA and PHP both do good work.

Users who are viewing this thread