Let me tell it

Voltwings

Established Member
1. I have personally made over 400 whp on 2.5" catbacks, that is not a restriction at these power levels.
2. That was a Racegas tune + removed catback, the catback was 100% weight reduction.
3. I can also promise that intercooler is a flow restriction, just look at the data companies are posting from the Dynos
4. The EB F-150 turbos are not comparable to this at all due to the twin scroll nature. ALL stock turbo cars are too small for effective big end hp, but a twin scroll is the best way to get there. On a similar compressor housing, a twin scroll hotside alone is worth at least 3-5 psi and i'd say as much as 4 lb/min on the big end on a ~30 lb/min turbo.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I definitely understand the efficiencies to be had with twin scroll and I guess the F150 comparison was not a good one so Touche.

I still doubt an IC upgrade will be worth much with the stock turbo.

Does anyone know which turbo is on this car?

Voltwings

Established Member
While it may not prove a huge flow restriction (i still believe it is), what will help with is consistency. We will see i suppose, i wouldnt doubt Livernois is datalogging the shit out of their car, and i suppose they havent felt the need to upgrade yet.

We got a guy over on Mazdaspeed forums who just picked one up and this is all he's found on it so far:

"So I am still trying to figure out what size the stock turbo is. From what I can see it is a Honeywell with numbers 2-1/1 9g438 M24 and has an A/R of .68"

Assuming it does have a .68 A/R, this little turbo may actually end up having some decent top end.

Users who are viewing this thread