Let me tell it

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I doubt it. It needs around 180rwhp from a tune only... Maybe with e85 and supporting mods. Again the gt benefits from mods as well. I think that dollar for dollar the gt will always be quicker in a straight line at least.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
im thinking in a year you'll get the same RWHP from a tuned ecoboost as a stock 5.0. So 350-370 all for less money than buying a GT instead. That wont buy you sound however...

Voltwings

Established Member
Stock coyote level of performance is not hard to reach in the 1/4... hell, neither is stock Boss performance, but you're realistically talking about all a stock turbo 4 has to give at that point. Not saying it will be pushed to the ragged edge, but that you're really not getting any more useable power out of it. I've seen (and tuned) plenty of stock turbo 4s trapping 113-117 on stock turbo, which is pretty damn quick, but lets be honest... it doesnt take much for a 5.0 to be much faster than that.

I think the fact they're even comparable speaks volumes for the modern day turbo 4, but the modern day v8 is no slouch either lol. This isnt like a few years ago when you could pick on 3vs and ls1s all day long and not worry about getting beat. Turbo 4s gotta choose their battles wisely these days.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It's not going to gain 100whp with a tune only, nor will it rev out to 7k. If it follows suit with the 2.0 Ecoboost, it won't even gain 100whp with a tune and full bolt ons. Sorry, it's just not going to happen.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
glad I'm not the only one who thought 180rwhp from a tune was ridiculous

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
it will give it a good run its money. not sure about beating it mod for mod

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The stock eb puts down 230 rwhp. The coyotes put down 380-390. It's not 180 more but maybe 150rwhp more.

Voltwings

Established Member
It's not going to gain 100whp with a tune only, nor will it rev out to 7k. If it follows suit with the 2.0 Ecoboost, it won't even gain 100whp with a tune and full bolt ons. Sorry, it's just not going to happen.

That's because the Ecoboost 2.0 has a tiny little K03 turbo which isn't much good for anything, they struggle to make with bolt ons what the EB 2.3 is making stock. Several stock turbo cars with a halfway decent stock turbo are picking up right at, or just over 100 whp with full bolt on's and a tune. Even more impressive is the torque, where often times you'll end up closer to 150 over stock with proper tuning and supporting mods. I agree however that it wont rev to 7, most stock turbos cant flow that high, but i wouldn't be surprised to see it holding on to 6200-6500 or so due to the Twin-Scroll.

it will give it a good run its money. not sure about beating it mod for mod

Hmmm i wouldn't count it out just yet, i understand there are TONS of variables, but i'm gonna throw some bench racing at you right quick.
I had a buddy with a chevy cobalt SS turbo that was wicked with full bolt ons + e85. I remember one night at the meet (i was in the car with him) we did a few runs against a bone stock 2012 GT500 and ran door to door with him 2/3 races. On that last race we were either heat soaked, or the guy learned how to drive better, but he started a slow and steady pull that run.
Still impressive nonetheless seeing as how my CJ coyote ran almost dead even with a 2012 GT500 with mufflers (not sure if its worth any HP). Granted, the one thing to cobalt had going for it was weight at ~2800 lbs. Still a very stout motor and powerband though, so seeing as how the LNF and EB 2.3 are of similar architecture (dual VVT, twin scroll turbo...) i think we can count on the EB punching above its weight so to speak. So again, while i may not expect it to beat a coyote mod for mod, or even run even with it, i expect it to certainly put up a good fight.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I had an MS3 too, as well as two MS6s, so I know a bigger stock turbo is going to help. I'm still not sure we will see any 370+ whp stock turbos unless e85 is used. I'd say 350 is going to be close to the limit on 93 octane. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm just so used to quoting numbers on E85 since its almost a given that a small turbo 4 will be running it lol. I agree a healthy dose of E85 will take this motor a long way, and 350 on 93 might even be slightly ambitious in our neck of the woods. Granted Dallas seems to be slightly less humid than Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread