Lets talk about cams

homel01

Established Member
There was a thread with a title similar to this one. Any info on that project?? The guy was getting MMR stage 2 ported heads and stage 3 cams.
Any info on this??

The Natural

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I know Don Shoneck has cams in his GT500 that are custom grinds, and I've heard of a few other that had some custom grinds, but never could get much info on any of them. I'd like to do cams, but not at the risk of screwing up my car. I've talked to Comp and Crower about cams and both said they could be done. However, Comp said they had tried some, but the higher stage grinds weren't working well with the drive by wire and were back firing through the throttle body. Crower said that the same cams that were used in the '03-'04 Cobra's would work, but that he'd need some info on spring sizes. I'd like to know if the springs that MMR is selling are actually made specifically for the GT500 or if they are '03-'04 Cobra springs or if there is any difference. I just know that I'd like to add a little power and a nice lope to my GT500.

Dave07997S

Established Member
There was a thread with a title similar to this one. Any info on that project?? The guy was getting MMR stage 2 ported heads and stage 3 cams.
Any info on this??

If the engine is going to be seeing OEM rev ranges I don't see the need to spend the money on new cams. Unless you are going to build the shortblock from the ground up so it can be revved at least up to 7k+rpm I wouldn't even bother with cams. People are getting unreal amounts of hp on the stock grinds within the OEM rev range.

Dave

SlowSVT

Established Member
Better idea!

Let's do a "search" on this topic and find out how buried we get with info on this subject :banana:

homel01

Established Member
If the engine is going to be seeing OEM rev ranges I don't see the need to spend the money on new cams. Unless you are going to build the shortblock from the ground up so it can be revved at least up to 7k+rpm I wouldn't even bother with cams. People are getting unreal amounts of hp on the stock grinds within the OEM rev range.

Dave

Agreed.
I ask because it is my intention to build my engine from short block to ported cylinder heads and cams. I'll buy things and stack them up till I can put everything on. I don't want to waste anymore money on mechanics and tunning. Because in the end many of those things will be removed.

I ask bc I would like to know how the car (whatever engine it has, stock or built; behaves at 7k-7.5k rpm)

Dave07997S

Established Member
Agreed.
I ask because it is my intention to build my engine from short block to ported cylinder heads and cams. I'll buy things and stack them up till I can put everything on. I don't want to waste anymore money on mechanics and tunning. Because in the end many of those things will be removed.

I ask bc I would like to know how the car (whatever engine it has, stock or built; behaves at 7k-7.5k rpm)

There was someone on the board here who was building such a motor..I apologize to both you and him as I forgot who it was. I think he wants to push the motor to 8k rpm..now we're talking.:beer:

Dave

homel01

Established Member
There was someone on the board here who was building such a motor..I apologize to both you and him as I forgot who it was. I think he wants to push the motor to 8k rpm..now we're talking.:beer:

Dave

This is what I'm talking about 8,000rpm:rockon::rockon:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I know Don Shoneck has cams in his GT500 that are custom grinds, and I've heard of a few other that had some custom grinds, but never could get much info on any of them. I'd like to do cams, but not at the risk of screwing up my car. I've talked to Comp and Crower about cams and both said they could be done. However, Comp said they had tried some, but the higher stage grinds weren't working well with the drive by wire and were back firing through the throttle body. Crower said that the same cams that were used in the '03-'04 Cobra's would work, but that he'd need some info on spring sizes. I'd like to know if the springs that MMR is selling are actually made specifically for the GT500 or if they are '03-'04 Cobra springs or if there is any difference. I just know that I'd like to add a little power and a nice lope to my GT500.

I'd spend some $$$ to get some lope, oh hell ya!.....:beer:

Dave07997S

Established Member
I think that was me Dave!:-D

Sorry big guy...I'm on 7 different boards. 3 Porsche, 2 BMW M3 and 2 stang boards..it's hard to remember all you guys. I can't wait to hear the results on your car. That's going to be awesome..M3 rev range with well over 700rwhp I would imagine, well probably more than that as you are already there. My next question what are you going to do to get that thing to hook up?

Dave

manOwar

Established Member
Sorry big guy...I'm on 7 different boards. 3 Porsche, 2 BMW M3 and 2 stang boards..it's hard to remember all you guys. I can't wait to hear the results on your car. That's going to be awesome..M3 rev range with well over 700rwhp I would imagine, well probably more than that as you are already there. My next question what are you going to do to get that thing to hook up?
Dave

Thats the million $ question. I'm hoping Stanhoff drag struts, adj. rear shocks, anit roll kit on a 9in will do for a start. I've given some thougt to a narrowed rear but I don't want to cut up my 3yr old car.... Who knows, maybe someday. There are plenty of guys getting S197's hooking with big power so it can be done... but at what price?

manOwar

Established Member
So manOwar, hows that engine build going??

Haven't started. Had to take the wife on vacation!!:shrug:

I'm doing some other stuff right now and would like to do the suspension and rear next. I plan on going to MW so I don't know when I'll do it.

homel01

Established Member
^^
So whats the price MMR gave you for the new castings plus cams,
What valves and springs they recomend.

I noticed that they sell new castings instead of porting stock ones.. For you in US maybe it will be better to send stock ones? For me I ratter pay the new ones bc I live in Puerto Rico and shipping mines will probably cost me like half of what new ones cost..

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
These motors are fine up to 7200-300 rpms but after that with anypower you are going to need a billet crank with centercounter weights if you want it to last. The factory crank has no centercounter weights and once you start making big power and turning it over 7300 there will be centermain bearing failure.
That is why i am having billet cranks made for these cars and the ford gt supercar as they share the same crank. The only thing that sucks is the motorsport/stock gt500 crank is 400 and billet crank is 3500.00.

I have some vid of my car with a killer set of cams, but the vid is on a non youtube friendly camcorder> if i can figure how to get it off the 8mm tape i could post it.
I am doing two motors that will turn 8500 for the texas mile, both will be in ford gt's though. They share all the same stuff mainly anyways.

manOwar

Established Member
These motors are fine up to 7200-300 rpms but after that with anypower you are going to need a billet crank with centercounter weights if you want it to last. The factory crank has no centercounter weights and once you start making big power and turning it over 7300 there will be centermain bearing failure.
That is why i am having billet cranks made for these cars and the ford gt supercar as they share the same crank. The only thing that sucks is the motorsport/stock gt500 crank is 400 and billet crank is 3500.00.

I have some vid of my car with a killer set of cams, but the vid is on a non youtube friendly camcorder> if i can figure how to get it off the 8mm tape i could post it.
I am doing two motors that will turn 8500 for the texas mile, both will be in ford gt's though. They share all the same stuff mainly anyways.
Dan, can I get those cam specs from you? 7300 is plenty for me and what I want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread