Lets talk grills and airflow.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
So I've had the Saleen Grill on my car for the last year and have had no issues with it functionally. I keep seeing the stock fogs on cars and miss that look. So, I'm putting the stock GT grill back on.

One of the biggest things I liked about the Saleen Grill is the straight thru design where the air in front of the car gets pushed (in theory) straight into the airbox feed. Almost like the idea of ram-air. But, this is very blocked by the factory grill's closed plastics and driver's side fog light. So, I am also looking for a mesh opening I can run if I decide to replace/delete the fog lights. Which I am on the fence about.

Has anyone really looked into this? Is there any benefit to the grill being fully open or does it create too much pressure that air really doesn't flow into that area like my brain would like to think it would. I don't want to replace all function for form. What are the thoughts of the community? This has to have been tested by this point...

dead man walkin

Established Member
The grass is always greener on the other side huh? A company makes a billet grill that moves the fog lights behind the grill so you get the best of both worlds.. as for airflow.. ford does a ton of airflow management studies. And without data in my hand I'll go out on a limb and say the stock one flows more than is needed

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
It is all in your head. No grill will create any positive presure in the intake of this cars unless have a ram air box.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I thought you had my car up there at first glance:

IMG_7949.jpg

I think ur over-analyzing. I would keep that. Most guys want to put the lower valence ON, not remove. I like the fogs down low instead of the big round ones up top..that's me. As far as the question, there are plenty of guys with both grilles and 800+ HP cars with no problems due to grille.

RC

Angry50

Established Member
The grass is always greener on the other side huh? A company makes a billet grill that moves the fog lights behind the grill so you get the best of both worlds.. as for airflow.. ford does a ton of airflow management studies. And without data in my hand I'll go out on a limb and say the stock one flows more than is needed

What company makes the grill with the fog lights behind the grill? ive seen it for the 2013s but not 2012s. i really like that look

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
So.... you like the big beetle eye fog lights???
That was the first thing I took off my car.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
^ Thats what I have...I like it. Kinda looks like a Boss grille but keeps the pony emblem. $6 grille mod!
My IAT are always with in a few deg of ambient with the mod done on an open airbox filter. (That was before the SC)

AZCobraCMDR: My buddy has been looking for a Saleen grille....let me know how much you want for it shipped to NC.

DSCN0103.jpg

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Airflow is a huge plus the more the better. The factory grill has to be a restriction anything open is better. The new Shelby front end isn't the prettiest IMOP but it works.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Airflow is a huge plus the more the better. The factory grill has to be a restriction anything open is better. The new Shelby front end isn't the prettiest IMOP but it works.

and ford put functional hood vents on the 13s. glad I went with the billet grille. more cool air hitting the radiator.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
mine is like the 2 sets of pics above. i just took my fogs out and made my own mesh and it took longer for the car to heat up after that so its working better for cooling.

kingnut

Established Member
there was already a thread about this. talking about adding a higher flowing grill and people have had the nerve to say "yes it makes the car faster". this is absolute bullshit. when you are going 60 MPH the stock grill is getting more than enough air to keep the radiator cool and the air intake getting plenty of fresh air.

you also have the aerodynamic effect of causing air to penetrate (open grill) instead of having some deflect(stock grill). i wonder why nascar racers duct tape there front grills off during qualifying... maybe to create a more aerodynamic thus faster car.

i would like to see someone produce IAT's with the stock grill vs an open grill at 60 MPH. i guarantee there will be absolutely no difference.

kevinp

Established Member
there was already a thread about this. talking about adding a higher flowing grill and people have had the nerve to say "yes it makes the car faster". this is absolute bullshit. when you are going 60 MPH the stock grill is getting more than enough air to keep the radiator cool and the air intake getting plenty of fresh air.

you also have the aerodynamic effect of causing air to penetrate (open grill) instead of having some deflect(stock grill). i wonder why nascar racers duct tape there front grills off during qualifying... maybe to create a more aerodynamic thus faster car.

i would like to see someone produce IAT's with the stock grill vs an open grill at 60 MPH. i guarantee there will be absolutely no difference.

+1

Buy a grille for looks, unless you are a hardcore road racer or need to get some air over added on coolers/heat exchangers.

Shaun@AED

I have logged 2lb/min airflow increase down the 1/4 mile with an open grill vs on the Dyno with several NA cars. There definitely is a ram air effect.

Also dropped 1 tenth in the 1/4 same day, same track, same car by removing the front grill on a Vortech coyote.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Yeah the open grill could possible slow the car down at 150-200 mph but who ever goes there. A sealed off front end would be the winner but loser for engine temp. For high HP cars keeping it cool is very important aspecially in 90-100 degree weather.

kevinp

Established Member
Yeah the open grill could possible slow the car down at 150-200 mph but who ever goes there. A sealed off front end would be the winner but loser for engine temp. For high HP cars keeping it cool is very important aspecially in 90-100 degree weather.

It comes into play at highway speeds, its nothing to do with slowing the car down really. its more for fuel economy. When you have cool things like wind tunnels and ways to measure airflow and pressure you can make a pretty educated guess as to where and how much air goes where.

All we need now is a corvette guy to come in and say he picked up a 'ton' of power with his vararam and we will be all set :)

cmsnake

Established Member
This has been discussed and pretty much proven that the open grill has benefits. How could it not? Its common sense. There is a reason the boss has fog light deletes. At the same track within 30 minutes of passes, I picked up 1 full mph in my '13 boss with the fog light piece REMOVED. I removed the fogs in my current '14 gt and can feel a difference as well as 1 more full mpg with the same driving habits. There is also a video floating around of an open grill car pulling a non open grill car with approx the same mods. I believe they also did some factual testing that proved the open air had clear benefits for air flow/temps etc. All I know is it works.

Kevinp- funny you mentioned vararam! I ran one on my old C5 and there were obvious gains with that piece, even un-tuned. I picked up nearly 2 mph in the quarter with that piece alone. At 80mph, much better throttle response and definite seat of the pants difference.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
I removed the fogs in my current '14 gt and can feel a difference as well.

remove your backseat also man. im sure your car will run 9's because of it. also washing your car basically adds a 50 shot of NOS to the seat of the pants feel. that is of course until dirt get on the paint again then its gonna feel s l o w.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread