Lets talk grills and airflow.

kevinp

Established Member
This has been discussed and pretty much proven that the open grill has benefits. How could it not? Its common sense. There is a reason the boss has fog light deletes. At the same track within 30 minutes of passes, I picked up 1 full mph in my '13 boss with the fog light piece REMOVED. I removed the fogs in my current '14 gt and can feel a difference as well as 1 more full mpg with the same driving habits. There is also a video floating around of an open grill car pulling a non open grill car with approx the same mods. I believe they also did some factual testing that proved the open air had clear benefits for air flow/temps etc. All I know is it works.

Kevinp- funny you mentioned vararam! I ran one on my old C5 and there were obvious gains with that piece, even un-tuned. I picked up nearly 2 mph in the quarter with that piece alone. At 80mph, much better throttle response and definite seat of the pants difference.

See, told you on the vararam :)

If you can get some cooler air to the filter then fine, thats about it.

If you believe its helping you out I'm not going to pee in anyone's cheerios. But i have pickup tenths at the track and done nothing except eat a chili dog :)

ViciousJay

Established Member
the only place i can see this working is on the sides where the air duct is for the intake, having it open doesnt do SQUAT SHIT, i tried it and watched it with my trac apps and saw no effect on engine temps or airflow temps coming in

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member

If you believe its helping you out I'm not going to pee in anyone's cheerios. But i have pickup tenths at the track and done nothing except eat a chili dog :)

lmfao and qft

the only place i can see this working is on the sides where the air duct is for the intake, having it open doesnt do SQUAT SHIT, i tried it and watched it with my trac apps and saw no effect on engine temps or airflow temps coming in

jay your using logic. what we dont understand is how more air is better. really removing the front bumper, headlights, even the hood should give the car 100+ WHP feel right??? also install a turbonator for maximum benefit.

images

kevinp

Established Member
lmfao and qft

I'm not making fun of track results, but when you have changing weather conditions, deep or shallow staging, and then throw a manual trans into the mix sometimes tenths gained and lost can be attributed to other things.

Its just my opinion anyhow which isnt worth a whole lot, its simple enough to try on a '13 + car, reach in and pop that sucker out and see what happens.

cmsnake

Established Member

There's something to be said same night same 60 foot and picking up 1 full mph while only removing the plate. Why did ford make it removable? Why even put a airbox 'snorkle' right behind it?

Ill defend the vararam all day, there was a clear difference there.

But hey, to each their own!

Maybe the individuals who have tested it with hard numbers (outside of track numbers and seat of pants) will chime in.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
you act like 1 MPH is absolutely an UNREAL amount of speed. you said later in the night. well usually it gets colder later on in the night. cold air = higher density. higher density air = more WHP. not to mention 2000 other factors it could have been to pick up 1 MPH. you guys act like the factory grill is a 2x4 with a couple holes drilled in it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
lmfao and qft

jay your using logic. what we dont understand is how more air is better. really removing the front bumper, headlights, even the hood should give the car 100+ WHP feel right??? also install a turbonator for maximum benefit.

images

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

kevinp

Established Member
There's something to be said same night same 60 foot and picking up 1 full mph while only removing the plate. Why did ford make it removable? Why even put a airbox 'snorkle' right behind it?

Ill defend the vararam all day, there was a clear difference there.

But hey, to each their own!

Maybe the individuals who have tested it with hard numbers (outside of track numbers and seat of pants) will chime in.

Unless someone is using manometers and thermocouples there is no way to really test it. On LS cars the MAF is pretty much in control of everything, most of the time what happens is the numbers get skewed with a different intake and the car runs leaner and makes more power.

I kid with the Vararam because it was quite the rage around here for a while and I can post something about one on a BMW board and get the same reaction :)

cmsnake

Established Member
you act like 1 MPH is absolutely an UNREAL amount of speed. you said later in the night. well usually it gets colder later on in the night. cold air = higher density. higher density air = more WHP. not to mention 2000 other factors it could have been to pick up 1 MPH. you guys act like the factory grill is a 2x4 with a couple holes drilled in it.
It was less than 30 minutes between runs. Same (maybe worse if I remember, Ive got the slips at home somewhere) 60 foot and one full mph. It seemed to help. Again, why did ford make it removable? No seems to want to answer that.

Unless someone is using manometers and thermocouples there is no way to really test it. On LS cars the MAF is pretty much in control of everything, most of the time what happens is the numbers get skewed with a different intake and the car runs leaner and makes more power.

I kid with the Vararam because it was quite the rage around here for a while and I can post something about one on a BMW board and get the same reaction :)
Well how do you explain the increase in throttle response? I dont think thats a benefit of a lean condition. I dont know, it felt better and the time slips were definitely improved with this piece. Runs were probably within a month, a lot of variables I know, but 2mph is a big deal IMO.

I know some people get extremely worked up and have to justify their $500 piece of plastic purchase lol. Im just reporting my personal results, whether is the changes in weather/driver or the CAI itself, who knows. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

kevinp

Established Member
It was less than 30 minutes between runs. Same (maybe worse if I remember, Ive got the slips at home somewhere) 60 foot and one full mph. It seemed to help. Again, why did ford make it removable? No seems to want to answer that.

Well how do you explain the increase in throttle response? I dont think thats a benefit of a lean condition. I dont know, it felt better and the time slips were definitely improved with this piece. Runs were probably within a month, a lot of variables I know, but 2mph is a big deal IMO.

I know some people get extremely worked up and have to justify their $500 piece of plastic purchase lol. Im just reporting my personal results, whether is the changes in weather/driver or the CAI itself, who knows. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Like I said take what I say with a grain of salt, I have owned C5 and C6s and they have always been just as fast as any of them with a vararam with similar mods and a regular open element filter. Many other mods evoke similar passions :)

But I will agree the truth tends to be in the middle somewhere on a lot of this stuff. Plus add in a bit of the 'jones syndrome' where someone spends 3X more then another similar mod/service and its automatically the best in the world.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
I must be one of the like, five people in existence who love the grill lights. I just can't see putting on the black Saleen grill. First of all, I hate the design, secondly, everyone on this board has it. Thirdly, I love the light the extra lights put out at night. So, it's win win for me all around. So, in essence, my car is going to remain stock in a sea of black Saleen/Roush grills. Works for me!

kevinp

Established Member
I must be one of the like, five people in existence who love the grill lights. I just can't see putting on the black Saleen grill. First of all, I hate the design, secondly, everyone on this board has it. Thirdly, I love the light the extra lights put out at night. So, it's win win for me all around. So, in essence, my car is going to remain stock in a sea of black Saleen/Roush grills. Works for me!

I dont mind the lights really, I just painted the horse flat black, I had a boss 302S grille on it for a couple days and didnt like it, was going to do the Roush but then I would have to do the lower. I like the CDC GT500 clone but I get accused of being a GT500 poser just with the wheels lol.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
^ Thats what I have...I like it. Kinda looks like a Boss grille but keeps the pony emblem. $6 grille mod!
My IAT are always with in a few deg of ambient with the mod done on an open airbox filter. (That was before the SC)

AZCobraCMDR: My buddy has been looking for a Saleen grille....let me know how much you want for it shipped to NC.

DSCN0103.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing. Where did you get the mesh? But, I cant decide to keep the stock fogs or not. Putting them back on the car, I really like them. But I won't keep fog lights on there if they aren't hooked up to anything. So then what...Hook up 6 lights in front? I would look like a mack truck coming down the road, or a baja race car.

My thoughts were to removed the lower fogs, create a blank-out from some ABS plastic, and mount an LED DRl like these over the blank-out:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Daytime-Running-Light-LED

to create an effect like this only with the GT/CS lower:

Ford Mustang DRL

That way, I would have only 2 fogs (up top) and LED DRLs down below. Thoughts?

Reno Five-O

Established Member

I love my grill fogs just had the surround painted black to match the paint and the pony as well. I love the look of it over the Saleen grille it just looks out of place when it's the only Saleen piece on a 5.0...

Last edited:

prior

Established Member
I like the looks and the added functionality. I installed the mesh with safety wire like they do on the boss 302s grills from frpp.

8zfnC.jpg

dead man walkin

Established Member
Here is what I was talking about.. and what I'm getting. Because I like the light these fog light monsters throw. Plus the way I see it. If the boss grille adds 75 horse and makes the car able to hit 202 mph while cooling the intake temp lower than ambient air, this one is good for at least 30 HP.. just kidding guys
2010-2012 Mustang GT DG Custom Hidden Fog Light Billet Grille (Black)

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Is it possible the open grille adds a touch of throttle response? Like the old theory I once heard of a "torque box" which was essentially a large amount if air "real estate," if you will, in a larger portion of intake piping. This air was basically "on tap" for when u needed to quickly hit the throttle rather than having to pull it all the way from the open end. I was thinking maybe with the open grille the airbox would have more air packed in it, creating the same affect???

blackcoyote13

Established Member
Just removed my fog lights today, going to replace with some 35W Philips HID's in the GT/CS style Starkey kit in the lower valance.

Notes:

Throttle response is better for sure, I noticed it right away. Car pulls a bit harder and oddly seems to idle a bit smoother too. The rear of the driver side fog light housing sticks way back in front of the OEM air inlet so that's probably why, aside from the straight shot into the intake pipe for fresh air now. I picked up some Boss 302 fog light covers that I'll be adjusting to fit on the OEM grille for rainy or snowy days.

Cost: $64 (for the fog light covers), and I like the look

20130502_115604.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread