Lets talk PCS i.e. DITY vs. movers

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Im getting stationed back up in Minot at the end of this month. Coming to Dover I did a partial DITY with a Lightning full of stuff. I read online that the govt pays 95% to you of what it would pay a company to move you. My question is how much do movers get paid to move somone?...what is that amount normally?
Here are some numbers: Its would cost me just over $1500 to move using a UHaul with a full car carrier for 7 days use.
What have you guys done in the past and what kind of $$ was involved? I know traffic managment has the answers on base, but i havent gone there yet. Just lookin for some past experience answers.
Thx.

Last edited:

AlanSVT

Established Member
sometimes its not about cash.....Its just easier to let them package up and move everything.....But I am lazy and im not hurting for money that bad....

99navert

Established Member
If you want to make sure all your stuff gets there in one piece & make some extra cash then DITY is your only choice. If you want someone else to deal with most of it then let TMO do their thing.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
I did a DITY move from Little Rock to Macdill. Kind of a PITA, and I also had to front the money for the U-Haul. I spent about $1300-1400 on everything, but came out with almost 6 grand once my vouchers went through. Also gives you a peace of mind of exactly when and where your stuff is at all times.

I will be try to be doing DITY moves to most of my PCS's as long as I can swing it.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I moved from Ft Lewis (Olympia WA) to St. Louis DITY, about 2300 miles total . out of pocket was like a grand if that including fuel and uhaul rental. I made out a little over 5k. I also did it in 09 when the entire Pac Norwest and upper midwest was in the process of being buried under massive amounts of snow. Consider the weather if you have a lot of shit to move, in the end i made out good, but damn, it was pretty dumb considering what i was doing in the horrible weather ans probably should have had them do it for me but i used that cash to pay off some credit card debt so it worked out. Keep you receipts and weight stubs, and dont do anything fraudulent regardless of what people tell you they did, i had a soldier get Article 15'd after he filled a bunch of trash cans up with sand to add more weight.

venom04svt

Established Member
Personally do a partial dity move, let the movers come and ship the large stuff that is just a pita to move, because you still have to drive to wherever your going so why not let the military pay you for it. I have 3 vehicles so i get paid for all 3 of them weighted, and by they way..the military doesn't count car weight into shipping, but they do a trailer along with whatever it carries. Also ask for the dislocation allowance as well..a good piece of change that most don't know about..

army_man1014

Established Member
when i PCS ft, bragg.. i rented a Uhual, trailor and packed it full of my shit and added sandbags and pulled my car to New jersey..I took it to the weight station, weight it full with my car and sandbags(which ur not suppose to do) and then empty..I made almost 4000 off that move.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ I would definatley edit your post and take out the sandbags... Just saying.. you never know bud

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Im getting stationed back up in Minot at the end of this month. Coming to Dover I did a partial DITY with a Lightning full of stuff. I read online that the govt pays 95% to you of what it would pay a company to move you. My question is how much do movers get paid to move somone?...what is that amount normally?
Here are some numbers: Its would cost me just over $1500 to move using a UHaul with a full car carrier for 7 days use.
What have you guys done in the past and what kind of $$ was involved? I know traffic managment has the answers on base, but i havent gone there yet. Just lookin for some past experience answers.
Thx.

I did a DITY from Dover to Houston back in '05, I think they paid me around $900 or so. I had an '02 GT and a '98 Blazer loaded down with all my crap and towing my jetski.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Dity move from Eielson AFB to Keesler AFB MS... full dity, 6000 lbs.... I got around 13-14,000. Probably cost me around $3000 to get here.

saleensc281

Established Member
FYI they dont pay you for car hauler trailors, just small utility trailors and I believe its just one time. They will pay to move your boat though, which I think is gay. They should pay for your car if you haul it. I did a partial DITY from Hood to Irwin. Weighed my F250 full and empty....got a decent payback for the miles, per diem, and weight...even though it wasnt that much. Had to come out of pocket for my U Haul Car Hauler though....with no rembursment. I would like to do a full DITY when I go back to Hood...but its going to be kind of hard with 3 vehicles...not including the U Haul truck. If you have the money up front and are not afraid of some back breaking work and paperwork then full DITY is the way to go.

acrod

Established Member
when i PCS ft, bragg.. i rented a Uhual, trailor and packed it full of my shit and added sandbags and pulled my car to New jersey..I took it to the weight station, weight it full with my car and sandbags(which ur not suppose to do) and then empty..I made almost 4000 off that move.

I made out like a bandit when I did a DITY from ga to texas, all legal though. I don't know if you care dude but you might want to be careful what you post, anybody can read that stuff. I definitely wouldn't brag about cheating money out of the government, it will bite you in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread