Level 5 halfs vs 03-04 halfshafts and opinions on which differential to upgrade to.

A_Law

Established Member
Been awhile since I've posted here in SVT but I'm finally getting back into wrenching on my cobra. I'm going to be rebuilding my IRS to handle higher hp levels when I eventually have the motor built. I've already ordered FTBR complete kit, but not sure about the half shafts and diff. My goal is a boosted set up making 600+ for the street. I'm keeping the IRS for that reason, this will not be a drag car seeing the strip every weekend but I will run it a couple times just to see what it does 1.4 mile.

Question 1: would 03-04 half shafts be sufficient or will they snap if I do take it to the track with slicks? How much can the stock 03-04 halfshafts handle with all other supporting suspension mods (FTBR complete kit). I have an 01 cobra btw.

Question 2: Since I will have the entire IRS apart, I'm going to have my differential rebuilt. I have 4.10's in now, and will switch to 3.73 / 3.55s (haven't decided what to go with yet). What differentials would you recommend for 600+ hp street car??

I am also going to convert my Bilstein shock / struts to the coilover set ups. Again, I'm wanting to build a street car that handles well. But that will see the strip a few times.

Any input would be appreciated! Sorry for the long post!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Question 1: would 03-04 half shafts be sufficient or will they snap if I do take it to the track with slicks? How much can the stock 03-04 halfshafts handle with all other supporting suspension mods (FTBR complete kit). I have an 01 cobra btw.

Question 2: Since I will have the entire IRS apart, I'm going to have my differential rebuilt. I have 4.10's in now, and will switch to 3.73 / 3.55s (haven't decided what to go with yet). What differentials would you recommend for 600+ hp street car??

- stock 03/04 halfshafts will be fine (since you are using slicks then thats even better)

- detroit tru-trac is a good compromise for all types of use

enjoy!

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Keep the stock shafts. The level 5s are garbage. Nothing but problems with mine. And as stated above, the tru-trac is a great diff choice. Quiet and strong.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
FTBR complete kit,True trac rear with 3:73 gears,LPW cover. DSS LEVEL 5!! never broke half shaft again! 4k dumps all day! Not buying that they do damage to other parts.......unless there that strong that there moving the week link in the car. also they have revised them a few years ago.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If you are going to pony up the money for the Level 5s then just spend a few hundred more and get the pros. The reason I say that is the Level 5s still use the stock inner joint. With the pros the entire thing is upgraded and I do not think anyone has broken one to date.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Stockers are the best. I've broken two sets of DSS level 5's. money not well spent

Outonyou

Established Member
Stockers are the best. I've broken two sets of DSS level 5's. money not well spent

Are these the "updated" axles that some have referred to? I too am in need of an axle. (Previous owner blew one up and did a band aid fix) I was going to pull the trigger on a set from The dss but now with these testimonies, I'm having second thoughts. Are stock halfshafts available new?

cdnstang

604 modulars
Established Member
Stock half shafts are available new. Bruce at ftbr has good pricing on them. Another option is the wavetrac differential as well. Just put one in my car. Unlimited horsepower rating and full abuse warranty for life. Can't hurt to try. Was rebuilding trac looks once a season to keep me fresh.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Are these the "updated" axles that some have referred to? I too am in need of an axle. (Previous owner blew one up and did a band aid fix) I was going to pull the trigger on a set from The dss but now with these testimonies, I'm having second thoughts. Are stock halfshafts available new?

Just buy a couple stock ones. Updated, not updated they're all the same in theory, they just "try" and make the cv joints as strong as possible. They really aren't worth it IMO

Outonyou

Established Member
Just buy a couple stock ones. Updated, not updated they're all the same in theory, they just "try" and make the cv joints as strong as possible. They really aren't worth it IMO

Thanks again for the info. Just ordered 2 from Ford. ( Thank God I have a relative that works there)

Users who are viewing this thread