Light/compact engine that makes 90-100hp??

Granelli31

Established Member
Are there any motorcycles or other applications that have a small engine package making around 90hp with a transmission? The 250 twin cyclinder 2 strokes are at about this hp level. Are there any other reasonable options?

MVC-009S-1.jpg

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
There is literally hundreds of motorcycle engines that make that power and way more. Or am I not understanding your question?

Does it need to be air cooled?
Smaller than an Inline 4?

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
How small?

Lots of light pickups and cars have small engines making that kind of power.

1 cyl "16hp" mower engines can push up over 50hp in performance builds. Not sure what purpose you are looking for though.

*edit* Now that I can see the pic of a kart, ignore my post, as I think a motorcycle engine is what you want.

Last edited:

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
The Japanese 450's ( dirtbikes, fourwheelers) can make some serious power for a single cylinder 4-stroke. Tons of aftermarket support too. I like the Honda's personally.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
what about a liquit cooled yamaha 600cc triple out of a snowmobile? the Power valve 600s make a hair over 100hp and have a centrifical belt clutch

my sled weights 498 pounds and take very little time to get to 100mph, i could only imagine what it would do in a cart!

oldmodman

Established Member
Is the engine intended for a specific class of karting?

I can't imagine that you can use any engine you want. Unless you are building it just for fun.

Granelli31

Established Member
The engine is going in the Superkart pictured. They usually run a 2 cylinder 2 stroke 250 making about 90hp. Some run a single 250 2 stroke and make about 50, a few in the UK run the 450 ktm 4 stroke package. I think a 600cc ninja bike engine will be too powerful and heavy. Im looking at cr500 motors, and 450's pretty much. Just curious if there are other options out there. Snowmobile engines probably wouldn't work because I need a transmission.

91GT

Established Member
KX500 and CR500 are most likely the best lower cost options.

A lightly worked one won't have 90hp but it should make enough to have a lot of fun.

They will have more power and less maintenance cost than a 450 thumper.

Maybe a worked 700cc raptor motor? That will meet your power and weight requirements but at a higher cost.

Granelli31

Established Member
Yea It's looking like a cr500. There's a company that makes a 640cc bb kit with 120hp supposidley. Probably would last about 2 hours before being rebuilt. It should be plenty fast, many of them are just running cr250 motors in slightly diff karts.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Harley 2 cylinder just for the sound. Enough of the ricer karts, you need american muscle!

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
Harley 2 cylinder just for the sound. Enough of the ricer karts, you need american muscle!

Holy ****ing shit! I'm a speed freak and all in for a good time, but that was ridic! The comment about 170 mph and ass inches from the ground made my day!

Users who are viewing this thread