Lightning 6 Speed Project Thread

rlearp

Established Member
Any more updates on the 6 speed conversion? I've been following it off and on and have really enjoyed the progress so far - a tough road to hoe for sure.

R

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Update!

After looking into a ton of options for the clutch engagement, I decided to go with a complete hydraulic set-up. The 03-04 Vipers have an all steel internal hydraulic T/O bearing slave combo.
IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

In order to use this Viper slave, I had to replace the front trans cover with a Viper cover. See the difference:
Ford cover
IMG_2325.jpg

Viper cover
IMG_2324.jpg

Viper cover installed.
IMG_2330.jpg

In order to make this one work, you have to take the input shaft seal from the Ford cover and transfer it to the Viper cover. The Viper has a larger input shaft. Its not much larger but the Viper seal was just not tight enough on the Ford input shaft.
IMG_2329.jpg

Last edited:

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Here is the slave installed.
IMG_2335.jpg

Notice the bleed screw and hydraulic input... This will allow the stock F150 hard line to plug right in.
4.6/5.4 Bell housing will bolt right up
IMG_2332.jpg

The only fab work ahead is the trans mount. If I don't get called out town again this week I am hoping to have it installed in the next 2 weeks. I am waiting for Steve (FORDSVTPARTS) to send me 2 wiring harnesses to splice together.

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
Just a tip for those who will try this in the future. I just help Scott take his Tranny out and this time we took the stock torque converter out. Take it out because it will save your back from many chiropratic adjustment

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Its starting to happen! I got my truck to where we left off tonight. So basically here...
5cyx4suaib.jpg

I also got the built motor installed and a few extras added in as well.

I will be installing the transmission tomorrow and Tuesday and pulling back the carpet to cut the shifter hole (IF my trip gets rescheduled).

Last edited:

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
Haha you got those PIA shorty headers in place. Must have had Jack screw them tight :lol: let me know when you want me to rip the interior out. I am bored with griding right now!

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
Here is an update....... WE ARE ALMOST DONE!!!

oh yah can't forget some pics

We had to get the drive shaft extended 3" to fit the setup
IMG_2349.jpg

Fabed the crossmember for the tranny. Not for show but for go!
IMG_2353.jpg

A few pics of the drive shaft installed
IMG_2359-1.jpg

IMG_2356-1.jpg

Marked and ready for a hole
IMG_2358-1.jpg

I was under the truck holding the fuel lines out of the way while Scott grinded the hole out. He got the face guard while I got the sparks in the eyes and on the head!

IMG_2361-1.jpg

IMG_2362-1.jpg

IMG_2363-1.jpg

IMG_2364-1.jpg

IMG_2365-1.jpg

The tune is great with no issues thanks to DMP. All we have to do is fix the issue with the clutch system. Otherwise all we need to do is fill up the tranny and it is off the lift and time to burn some rubber!

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I am trying to bleed the clutch. There is no travel and we burned through almost bottles of fluid. There is no leaks so air isn't getting in. These push style internal slaves are a PIA.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Is that the final shifter location/choice? Looks awfully short/hard to get to?

None the less, good work and good luck getting it on the road soon!

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
You would be surprised, it actually isn't that bad of a location and it is easy access. But then again I wouldn't be surprised if it was also modified like everything else.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Who knows what Mike is going to do, plans change often for these two :poke: :D

Glad to hear it fired up and everything seems fine. Get those slave issues handled :dw: and start tearing through the gears for petes sake :thumbsup:

Remember, if you cant find 'em grind 'em :poke: Stan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread