lightning or gt mustang

MidNight Snake

Established Member
That picture just gave me a funny idea, with the speed limit sign on top. How many of us at one point or another have seen those speed indicators and have floored it, to see what you could get it up to. What kind of fine do you think you would get for doing something like that.

A Fuzzy Bunny

Future Banned Member
Established Member
Originally posted by MY 03 L
L top speed 142 mph.. and about a GT beating a L on topend... hmm not going to happen.. brick or not .. the L's 450trq spanks a GT without a problem.

Have you personally witnessed a race between a stock L and stock 5spd. 99+ GT? The L outpowers the GT by a shitload, but it can't outpower the laws of phyics

03CobraBro

Established Member
Since I dont have any hands on experience in either vehicle, im going to say based off of tested numbers.. there's about a full second difference 0-100 between the L and the Mustang GT, which goes in favor of the L... As much more aero dynamic as the Mustang GT is than the L, a full second is quite a bit to gain back, esspecially at speeds of over 100mph. Both cars racing to there claimed top ends, I'm going to have to vote Lightning. (I will say if you plan on pushing your vehicle that hard often, I'd probably say the Mustang would be alittle more stable than the L in that aspect)

But I mean come on, when you go to buy a car who cares if it can do over 140 anyway? I'm not saying blowing down the interstate that fast isnt fun (Now that I can say from experience), but when I look into buying a car I'm in it for the acceleration myself, and with 460lbs of torque working in the L's favor, I'd probably have to side with the L on this... I would imagine the L's power plant is probably going to be built a little stronger than the Mustang GT's power plant with it being supercharged. Unless you plan on putting your vehicle into the 9's or 10's then I'd still say the L.

On the other hand the Mustang GT would get better gas mileage, and I dont think the Mustang GT requires premium like the L does.

Last edited:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
16 year old topping out at 147 in a truck:bash:
sorry had to say so.... (jealous 18 year old)
stick with the stang, you already own it. Lightning is funner for sure tho... and the GT is well kind of a chic car anyway... no flame intended just every 16 year old girl wants one or owns one. :nonono:
Jd

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Are you freaking kidding me? The L will smoke the GT in all acceleration aspects, 0-60, 60-roll, whatever.... My 01 L was a freaking beast! The GT feels quite slow compared to it, IMO. Especially if you plan on modding, it is really no contest! Loved my truck just as much as I love my 03 cobra, I even miss it sometimes.... I can't believe this is even a question! Like everyone has said, its really no contest, unless you want to save money/gas (gas mileage is NON-EXISTENT on L's, hehe).

Do the right thing, and enjoy the best/prettiest truck out there!!:rockon:

Bryon

Established Member
Originally posted by A Fuzzy Bunny
Have you personally witnessed a race between a stock L and stock 5spd. 99+ GT? The L outpowers the GT by a shitload, but it can't outpower the laws of phyics

Because I own both and have run both at the track and on deserted highways, I feel I can clarify this; anything under 110 mph, be it a roll, stop or whatever, the L will pull the GT. If the two were running at around 110 mph, side by side, and started to race, I think the Mustang would pull the L, thanks to the aerodynamics.

Now for my input on the L vs. GT debate for this young man:

#1. Have your father spend some money on some tutoring. Your spelling and punctuation are horrible. LOL...j/k...sort of.

#2. I know many people will disagree, but I think the L is too much for a 16 year old novice driver. Even the GT might be pushing it. I went through racing school at Sears Point for the first time at age 16 and I probably would have still done something stupid in the L. I can barely resist 450 lb/ft of torque now, let alone when I was 16.

#3. Putting that aside, the L is a much better vehicle if you can afford it. Roomy, powerful and fun to drive plus you can throw stuff in the back if need be.

I hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

BCM0018

Established Member
L is faster stock but I think its easier to mod the stang. As for top end I have run my 2000 GT up to 146 in 4th without seeing if it could pull anymore in 5th so their even top end, not that it should matter.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Originally posted by MY 03 L
svt.ford.com states that the top speed of the lightning is 142.. limited to 142 by the computer.. http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/ :shrug: :shrug:

top speed 99-00 was 142, since then added 20hp, i READ THE SVT site and said top speed JUST UNDER 148MPH but Motor Trend did THIS ARTICLE:
The Ford SVT F-150 Lightning was certified Wednesday as the "World's Fastest Production Pickup Truck" by Guinness World Records, Ltd. after reaching 147 miles per hour at Ford's test track. During Motor Trend testing at Ford's Arizona test track for the June 2003 cover story, our test drivers recorded a 146 mph top speed. Since the truck's introduction in 1999, the supercharged SVT Lightning has been unofficially called the world's fastest pickup by numerous media outlets. Now it's a matter of official record.
:coolman:

Last edited:

mrjrdavis

Established Member
Keep GT or get a Lightning???

I've got to say, if it's between getting a Lightning or keeping the GT you've already spent money on, keep the GT! You will lose way more money by selling your GT and then paying out for that truck. Yeah, the Lightning is quicker stock for stock. But if you do the math on what you'll spend getting into that Lightning, that's plenty to upgrade your GT with. Use that money to put a blower on your GT and you'll bitch smack that Lightning you would have bought. My buddy has a heavily modded L, and my GT has a blower and other shit (no NOS though). My Stang is hands down faster! I've got nothing against L's; they're a pimp truck, but you've got to get the best bang for your buck.
And like someone else mentioned, it's a great fealing when an F-body, Vette, or Lightning driver gets smoked and looks at you like "WTF!"

BCM0018

Established Member
The lightning is not the worlds fastest pickup, The ram SRT-10 averaged 154. something miles an hour at the salt flats making it the fastest.

bglf83

Established Member
Originally posted by BCM0018
The lightning is not the worlds fastest pickup, The ram SRT-10 averaged 154. something miles an hour at the salt flats making it the fastest.

who cares? when i am racing i never go to 150 in my truck. thats gay to bring the srt-10 into a L and mustang thread.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by BCM0018

So an aditional $15K buys u an extra 7 mph. Money well spent.

Polar Bear

Established Member
I would get the lightning not only cuz its a 4000 lb truck that hauls the 1/4 mph in the 13's, but also cuz all the internals are already forged. Get the lightning, throw upper and lower pullys on it for less than 500 bucks, spray it with a 200 shot, and put some meats on the back of that baby and you'll be rockin'!!!!! I know a guy with a L, and he he's pushin 17.5 lbs. of boost with a pully setup, has full exhaust, drag radials, and its tested and tuned. He runs high 12's. Thats fuc*in sweet!!!!!!

black04

Established Member
Originally posted by Polar Bear
I would get the lightning not only cuz its a 4000 lb truck that hauls the 1/4 mph in the 13's, but also cuz all the internals are already forged. Get the lightning, throw upper and lower pullys on it for less than 500 bucks, spray it with a 200 shot, and put some meats on the back of that baby and you'll be rockin'!!!!! I know a guy with a L, and he he's pushin 17.5 lbs. of boost with a pully setup, has full exhaust, drag radials, and its tested and tuned. He runs high 12's. Thats fuc*in sweet!!!!!!

are you crazy if you did that to a L with out botom end work it would blow up they have the same rods as the regualar f150 has and if you go over 450 to the wheels its proly gona blow as for the guy you know runing 17 #`s and only geting high 12`s with all that on drag radials thats not good depending on where he lives but im in maryland runing a 4# lower and some miner mods and on a winter tune i went 12.9 @ 107

as for the guy debating between the gt or the L from my expering with my truck get your self the cobra it has a very strong motor they can handle almost 1000 HP just my advise

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread