Liquid Assets and Expensive Car Purchase

Beavis281

Established Member
Not one person said it. So I will....

Take the $250k and go spend it on hookers and blow.

Just kidding. You want to work your whole life? Then do the above suggestion of mine. Want to retire at 45? Pay off house/invest.

chinchilla

Established Member
Pay off the mortgage. Would you borrow money against a house to invest or buy a car? If you decide you hate not having any debt in the world you can always take another mortgage.

CO Mack

Established Member
You guys definitely make a very valid point and it's something I will consider. It would be hard to to let go of all that money and lose my safety net and nest egg, but not having a mortgage at my young age would be pretty amazing.

This is the insidious problem with debt, and part of why the interest arbitrage on car notes vs investment alpha doesn’t tell nearly the whole story.

You already spent the money for your house, you just haven’t admitted it yet.

Grandma managed to be conservative in her finances and leave you an amazing legacy. Have you considered what she’d have wanted you to do? My grandma would haunt me if I didn’t pay off my house. :)

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I would do nothing with it. Let it sit for 6 months. Or 12 months. Or however long it takes you to decide what the right thing is to do with it, whether that be paying off your house, buying a car, or spending it all on hookers and blow. The worst thing you can do is something you’ll regret.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
take the $250k in cash to NYC. buy a few "packages". return to your area. sell. double your profits in less than a month.
rinse
repeat.

by next year you'll be posting pics of your new pagani. :cool:

oh and keep your day job so it doesnt look suspicious.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you're going to buy a car. Set a limit on how much you can stomach to lose of that money and pay for the car. The reality of paying for it in full should help restrain you from going overboard.
Take the rest and invest/forget/whatever. It will be there down the road for when you decide to pay off your mortgage in a few years or keep chugging along like you are now, but with 200k in the bank and a toy.
But whatever you do please follow the advice that has been passed down from generation to generation.....masturbate before making any major decisions!

cj428mach

Established Member
As a rule of thumb Dave Ramsey suggests to never have more than 1/2 your annual income tied up in things that go down in value (cars).

I would pay off your mortgage, its very liberating to say the least.

I have a paid for house, own all my cars and zero debt. Its amazing! Since everything is paid for I could take a serious pay cut at work and not have it effect me. LOL I could almost get by as a burger flipper since there are no payments to be made.

I try to follow Dave Ramsey's plan of 15% of my income invested in my 401K, and I have more than my 3-6 months living expenses in the bank. I'm actually having my first child in a little over a month and it really takes the stress off knowing everything is ok financially.

Pay your mortgage off, if you can bank $1500 a month from not having a house payment you'll be able to make some amazing things happen. You'll easily be a multi-millionaire.

Last edited:

96 cobra

Established Member
+1 re: paying off your mortgage. Remember that care-free feeling you had in middle school, it brings a little of that feeling back, sounds hokey, but it's a seriously nice feeling.

You'll also probably save a bunch on interest, use one of the online interest calculators to see how much you'll save:

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/mortgage-calculator#/entry_form

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
@ON D BIT I always enjoy reading your lendor hating rants lol
In 03 and 04 I was hearing about how one makes money from multi millionaires who were driving New Lamborghini Murcielagos.
10-20% down on real estate make payments sell at profit. They've done it for years. Then in 04 I heard Dave Ramsey. He was saying pay with cash and stated his reasons.

08 hit and by 10 those millionaires were bankrupt and those who were following Dave Ramsey had no worries. I'm a believer now.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In 03 and 04 I was hearing about how one makes money from multi millionaires who were driving New Lamborghini Murcielagos.
10-20% down on real estate make payments sell at profit. They've done it for years. Then in 04 I heard Dave Ramsey. He was saying pay with cash and stated his reasons.

08 hit and by 10 those millionaires were bankrupt and those who were following Dave Ramsey had no worries. I'm a believer now.

I really feel like we're on the same page...just explaining it differently.

I don't have any debt besides my mortgage. I use a credit card on nearly every purchase and pay it off at the end of each month. No, I'm not the norm, but this way I get the best of both worlds.

I know plenty of people who stretched their spending abilities in the early 2000s that were fine through the downturn as well.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It was not just spending capabilities it is using debt to make money. It's just dangerous.

4 to 5 million in cash gone because one is over extended. Debt is an issue that can get out of control in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I found out my inheritance is a little less than expected ($215k not $250k) and it will not over my mortgage payoff. I don't think it would be very wise to drain my existing savings account to cover the difference, but I'm open to discussion.

As amazing as it would feel to not have a mortgage anymore, and live 100% debt free, I think realistically, I'll throw a large sum ($100k) at the principle, which will greatly increase my equality and refinance to drop my monthly payment, put another $100k in investments and use the remainder on a toy.

I always appreciate everyone's advise. One of the many things I love about SVTP is the wealth knowledge in virtually every facet of life from its members.

Users who are viewing this thread