little help on engine sound

scorched

Established Member
can anyone help me with what this sound is?

i dont think it is the dreaded tick. it only makes the sounds when cold. after the engine is good and hot, the ticking/tapping sounds goes away. any help would be much appreciated.

also, where in the southern nj general vicinity would you recommend taking it

th_VID_20100924_120811.gif

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds like something up top to me. A valve maybe? For comparison here's my engine tick I had a couple years ago. Mine was piston #4 making noise in the cylinder after some highway pulls.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLIav2AbM4k"]YouTube - 03 cobra engine/transmission noise[/nomedia]

and a longer one

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG3cb5EHR8"]YouTube - 03 Cobra engine noise[/nomedia]

scorched

Established Member
Its definately not an injector. Once it warms up and the ticking goes away you can hear the injectors. This is a much louder sound. I can't tell where its coming from. It can be heard all around the engine bay in front of the car etc.

03yellow

Established Member
sounds like a lifter or valve. Start it,,, then take off oil cap on the valve cover while it running and listen.

scorched

Established Member
it really sounds like its coming from the crank pulley. with the s/c belt off the sound gets much quiter, and it sounds like it coming from the crank. once the belt goes back on, the sound increases, and it does go up slightly with the rmps i will post videos.

this is the movement, and the sound of the pulley with car off

th_VID_20110125_154203.gif

car on, s/c pulley off, the sound goes down
th_VID_20110125_160715.gif

video is of the same area, note how much louder the noise gets
th_VID_20110125_161342.gif

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
prob got a bad lower pulley deal.... the bearings between the pulley and the big ass hub that screws into the crank prob crapped out.... that things shouldnt have play in it like that last time i checked..

scorched

Established Member
so a new lower pulley should do the trick right? at least from the way it sounds. just want to make sure before i go and buy another one

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Do you have the stock lower on there now or an aftermarket lower? Can't quite make out those pics.

scorched

Established Member
stock lower. but its making some very interesting sounds as you can tell from the videos. at least i am 90% sure its the lower pulley. just looking for a confirmation or two before i start spending some money

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Well if you're really sure it's that lower pulley take it off and see if the sound is gone?
At least then you don't waste money on a replacement only to find the noise is still there.

scorched

Established Member
just thought i would give an update. changed out my lower the other day with used one (thanks 04mach1blurr!!) thanks to the fairly mild weather up here in nj recently.

anyways, with a replacement lower pulley and a new belt (mine had started squeaking in the previous two weeks. was terrible with a tap and a squeak)

all my sounds are gone!!! sounds like a normal driving car again. i am extremely thankful i didnt have to tear in to the motor. that would have been hell. now let the modding commence!!

thanks so much for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread