• New Jersey

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • New York

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Hello SVTP I wanted to throw a poll out there to see what people would really prefer to live. New York Long Island or New Jersey.
Most threads that I have seen as of late say not to move to New York I don't have experience living up north as I am from Texas.
Our move will largely rely on the Marine Corps and where they decide to send my fiancé. I want her to request Jersey so it will be still close to her hometown New York but I'm concerned going to either place ill be miserable as a gun and car lover.
What's everyone else's experience in living in either place?

take into consideration job availability as I just recently got out of the Marines and am looking to join a decent police dept. Jersey seems to have a leg up in the sense.. but havent looked very far into it yet.

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Hahaha! The lesser of the two evils is still an evil. As human you will adjust. As a car lover, you will cuss everytime you hit a pothole. As a gun owner, you will be fine as long as you don't pull your gun at any conversation you have with other individuals. Long Island is cool. I have resided there for over 27 years of my life. Jersey, I go there often but the road signs are confusing. I would admit they have better roadway than NY. I definitely will choose Long Island though. Good luck in your decision making.

96 cobra

Established Member
What town/area in NJ?... Princeton vs Trenton vs rural southern NJ is three different worlds.

Last edited:

prs97

Established Member
If cost of living counts for anything, I wonder if NJ might be better in spots.

Here on LI, the cost of living is stupid.

Good luck with your decision.

CSD

Banned
There's good and bad about New Jersey. I've lived here for 30+ years

The landscape is incredibly diverse for a state its size and gives residents access to beaches, state forests, mountains, and small towns with little drive time.

We have 4 seasons of weather which I like. Plenty of shopping to be done. Atlantic City is fun if you enjoy gambling, dancing, receiving spa treatments, etc. Close to NYC. Lots of diners, most open round the clock. Most parts of the jersey shore are beautiful and the nightlife is exciting. The beaches (most of them, not all) are very clean. It would be nicer if the ocean water was cleaner and warmer but such as luck.

Excellent food. Access to any type of cuisine, from the more exotic such as Thai and Ethiopian, to some of the best Italian food in the nation. We have pork roll. Have you tried pork roll? It's heaven on a bun

Gas prices are about 30-40 cents cheaper than LI.

Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren, and Cape May are my favorite counties. Beyond those and a few towns scattered throughout the state like Edgewater and Princeton, the rest of the state is not all that desirable to live in or visit.

Now some of the bad..

The cost of living here is out of control. Last I checked we have the highest property taxes in the nation. Car insurance rates are nuts. Buying a nice home in northern or central jersey will cost you an arm and a leg.

We have laughable gun laws and bans on fireworks! :lol:

A nightmare of overpopulation, which leads to hours of congestion on the highways.

Corruption. Corruption everywhere. From politicians to police officers, it's bad. I've been a police officer here for 7 years and I see it daily.

All I can add is that NJ is a lot nicer place than most like to admit.

However, my ex-fiancée lived in Deer Park, NY (Long Island). I got to see a great deal of L.I. and that's one of the nicest areas you could live in. I have a new appreciation for L.I. because of her. That's really the place to live in the Tri-State area IMO.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
If cost of living counts for anything, I wonder if NJ might be better in spots.

Here on LI, the cost of living is stupid.

Good luck with your decision.

so far what I have seen of the rent/cost of living expenses in LI it is pretty high far above what BAH would cover for us at times

CSD

Banned
I agree with everything you said except for the above. To leave out Bergen, Morris, and Somerset counties is almost laughable. Now of course having the means will make all the difference, but there is a reason why most of the money in NJ is in those 3 counties.

Laughable? It's personal opinion buddy. An opinion is like an asshole, everyone has one :shrug:

Now I must ask you, what's so special about Bergen county? Bergen would be in my list for top 5 worst... Over rated and too costly. Factory and strip malls galore. People up there are materialistic and try to outdo one another with what they've got. Lots of housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUV's and their flashy heels not watching where they're going. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you. LOL at Bergen county. I'm looking forward to your response

Laughable? It's personal opinion buddy. An opinion is like an asshole, everyone has one :shrug:

Now I must ask you, what's so special about Bergen county? Bergen would be in my list for top 5 worst... Over rated and too costly. Factory and strip malls galore. People up there are materialistic and try to outdo one another with what they've got. Lots of housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUV's and their flashy heels not watching where they're going. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you. LOL at Bergen county. I'm looking forward to your response

:lol: + a big ONE

Was waiting for someone to say it because I didn't want to hurt any feelings.

Bergen County is full of some real dumpy towns. Some of the worst traffic too IN ALL OF NJ in that region.

CSD is on point with the rest of the commentary too. :lol:

I worked in Hackensack/Paterson for 5 years. That is not the area you want to live in.

Users who are viewing this thread