Long Island NY VS New Jersey

New Jersey or New York

• New Jersey

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • New York

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
Some real dumpy towns? Seriously? Ok, yes Hackensack is in Bergen county, but Paterson is not. Again see my above post for some of the towns that are there. Alpine, Saddle River, Franklin Lakes, Mahwah, Ridgewood, Englewood Cliffs, Wyckoff, Woodcliff Lake, ect ect...When people think of Bergen county, I'm pretty sure dumpy towns is not quite what they think of. Yes, traffic can be brutal on Rt 17 and Rt 4. At the end of the day, if I had to choose between that traffic and the LIE traffic, I would be in Bergen county. Not to mention, traveling on Sunday's is peaceful with the blue laws.

You listed all the nice ones. Every county has nice ones. Do we really have to list all the ones that you didn't include that are the 'dumpy ones'? And they outnumber the good ones you listed. :poke:

And yes traffic is very brutal in that area. And I think that's something someone out of town would like to know coming in. :idea:

Bergen County is SO OVERRATED. And please spare me the household median facts. People that either live in BC or commute there will tell you that the CONS outweigh the PROS and they would gladly move if it was reasonable to do so.

The fact is that many who live in BC work in that county or sorrounding counties or work in Manhattan.

If you're going to live in NJ, the best places to live in terms of traffic, REASONABLE property taxes and peaceful neighbors and general tranquility is way up north or middle to down south of NJ. And that's just the way it is in our state.

NJcountymap.gif

Nobody said way up north of North Bergen County, just way up north. No offense but I'm wondering if you know what NJ's territory looks like outside of BC.

And what about Patterson? All I mentioned was that I worked in the Patterson/Hackensack area Dr. Phil. I'm very familiar with the area. This isn't unchartered territory...

The outskirts of Passaic County and Sussex County are "way up north" compared to BC. :read:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
New Jersey Blows.

You could always move to LI and deal with people like this ^^^ :dw:

I've lived in middlesex county all my life, and I agree with CSD, New Jersey is a very very diverse state. South Jersey is pretty much alabama, its all farms and nothing. North Jersey is expensive houses and woods type places (Clark / Summit anyone?), Central Jersey is mostly suburbs and towns, and plenty of industrial places. I work in Princeton and the area is very nice, I used to work in Iselin before my company moved and that area is "eh". Also, screw Edison township :bored: I guess part of it comes down to, what kind of environment do you want to live in? If you want to live on a farm in vast nothing, stick to south jersey. If you want to live in a regular town, come live in central jersey. If you want to live in upscale snob country, go up to north jersey.

Theres many things I don't like about jersey (cost of living, government, etc), but I do like the jersey landscape because it is so diverse.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
I knew very little of New Jersey before only that everytime i drove through it to get to new york it smelled like crap. Technically I still dont know much about it but from what I see and read it seems the more north I go the more rules and regulations I run into going from guns all the way to cars and how big your soda drink can be.

I dont know how everyone else is but I like having my space not saying I like living in the country side with a my neighbors a mile away just dont like being stacked up on top of each other. This is due in large part to me being raised in a town of 50k at most but having a city of 1mil+ within 30 mins distance.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Hey OP my favorite part of NJ is Watchung hills.

Idk what BAH is but if you can swing it, live there

BAH is the amount the Marine Corps will pay you depending on your area for example. If we lived in Garden City LI they would give us 2,200 for that area.

Paul1138

Established Member
I've lived in NY all my life. Born in Brooklyn, grew up in Westchester, NY (Chappaqua). As an adult, I've lived in Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island (Garden City area) and now reside back in the burbs (Croton), while working in Tribeca. I've traveled extensively throughout Long Island, so I'm quite familiar with it. As for NJ, I'm familiar with it as well over the years. Have many friends that reside in Alipne, Ridgewood, Clifton, Verona, West Caldwell, etc.

My notes for Long Island

• There are tons of goombas (and I'm Italian) but is that a bad thing?
  • The terrain for the most part is flat and boring
  • Good food
  • lots of strip malls and the such
  • LIE is a nightmare
  • Overall, I find LI to be quite nice but I just couldn't move there as everything seems homogenized
My notes for NJ

• I used to call NJ the armpit of NY but over the past 10 years, I've been proven wrong.
  • Some beautiful towns (Ridgewood comes to mind)
  • Flat-ish
  • The most confusing F'n roads EVER
  • Everything is difficult to get to (stores off major roads are a pain to get to)
  • Lots of Goombas as well
  • Cheap Gas at least $.30 cheaper compared to NY
Overall, both would be great place to live without any major compromise.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
if NJ was such a huge piece of shit, it wouldn't be so expensive to live here and be this populated ...

I'm currently in DE for work and CAN NOT wait to get back. Gunna try to look around the Red Bank area because I love some of the local bars and restaurants around the area.

We have 4 seasons, decent race tracks, the beach, great food, local to big cities (Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore within decent driving reach), and even have nice rural areas off the turnpike which is what most out of state opinions are based on.

"Oh i drive on a road in your state that bases some industrial areas i know everything about it now"

I never knew NJ was only 6 lanes wide .....

Dark02Pony

Established Member
if NJ was such a huge piece of shit, it wouldn't be so expensive to live here and be this populated ...

I'm currently in DE for work and CAN NOT wait to get back. Gunna try to look around the Red Bank area because I love some of the local bars and restaurants around the area.

We have 4 seasons, decent race tracks, the beach, great food, local to big cities (Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore within decent driving reach), and even have nice rural areas off the turnpike which is what most out of state opinions are based on.

"Oh i drive on a road in your state that bases some industrial areas i know everything about it now"

I never knew NJ was only 6 lanes wide .....

you mean out state consists of more then just the pike and parkway ? the deception! :beer:

You could always move to LI and deal with people like this ^^^ :dw:

I've lived in middlesex county all my life, and I agree with CSD, New Jersey is a very very diverse state. South Jersey is pretty much alabama, its all farms and nothing. North Jersey is expensive houses and woods type places (Clark / Summit anyone?), Central Jersey is mostly suburbs and towns, and plenty of industrial places. I work in Princeton and the area is very nice, I used to work in Iselin before my company moved and that area is "eh". Also, screw Edison township :bored: I guess part of it comes down to, what kind of environment do you want to live in? If you want to live on a farm in vast nothing, stick to south jersey. If you want to live in a regular town, come live in central jersey. If you want to live in upscale snob country, go up to north jersey.

Theres many things I don't like about jersey (cost of living, government, etc), but I do like the jersey landscape because it is so diverse.

Edison stinks like curry all the time...

Worst drivers I've ever seen are in Edison. Worst than most NY and PA drivers.

alex3610

Established Member
Lots of good information here. I grew up in central NJ and lived there from 1987-2008 before relocating to central VA. There are probably a lot of comparable areas on LI to NJ. My biggest issue with LI was access on and off the island. You are forever bottle necked through NYC to get anywhere. In central NJ I could hop on the train and be in NYC in under an hour, or drive to philly in 40 minutes. I could also fly out of either PHL or Newark in about the same times drive. The shore was about 45 minutes away and I was about an hour and a half from AC (save your time/money for a vegas). So if nothing else, NJ is more convenient. I left because the politics of the state extremely limited my career options, and the cost of living as everyone else has said was out of control. The house I grew up in that was in Mercer county i think today would pay about $13-14k a year in property taxes for a 2800 sq ft house , 4 bed 2.5 bath 3/4 acre in a town with good schools and a train station. Biggest thing I miss is the food, especially Italian. The pizza down here sucks ass. I want to beat these people to death with their own arms every time they tell me that Papa Johns is good. Anyway, my vote is for Jersey. I think if you stay more towards south jersey you will get more for your money than on Lawn Guyland. Transportation is much simpler and there are two great drag strips (E-town & Atco). Good luck surviving there, it will be a huge culture shock coming from Texas.

mjproduct

Established Member
I think NJ is easier to get around than LI, even if you had to commute into NYC.
Taxes are high in both locations but I think NJ has more landscape options - mountains, lakes, the beach, etc...
If you're coming up from SC - it'll be an easier transition to live in NJ. Someone said this earlier - north NJ is like a little NY, too crowded. South has an alliance with Philly. Central NJ and west is nice and centrally located. Do a lot of web searching... good luck!

96 cobra

Established Member
NJ definitely wins my 'worst drivers' vote.

We've had a few quarterly job sites in the Princeton area and every visit we'd witness at least one multi-car accident and 1-2 road rage incidents.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
There's good and bad about New Jersey. I've lived here for 30+ years

The landscape is incredibly diverse for a state its size and gives residents access to beaches, state forests, mountains, and small towns with little drive time.

We have 4 seasons of weather which I like. Plenty of shopping to be done. Atlantic City is fun if you enjoy gambling, dancing, receiving spa treatments, etc. Close to NYC. Lots of diners, most open round the clock. Most parts of the jersey shore are beautiful and the nightlife is exciting. The beaches (most of them, not all) are very clean. It would be nicer if the ocean water was cleaner and warmer but such as luck.

Excellent food. Access to any type of cuisine, from the more exotic such as Thai and Ethiopian, to some of the best Italian food in the nation. We have pork roll. Have you tried pork roll? It's heaven on a bun

Gas prices are about 30-40 cents cheaper than LI.

Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren, and Cape May are my favorite counties. Beyond those and a few towns scattered throughout the state like Edgewater and Princeton, the rest of the state is not all that desirable to live in or visit.

Now some of the bad..

The cost of living here is out of control. Last I checked we have the highest property taxes in the nation. Car insurance rates are nuts. Buying a nice home in northern or central jersey will cost you an arm and a leg.

We have laughable gun laws and bans on fireworks! :lol:

A nightmare of overpopulation, which leads to hours of congestion on the highways.

Corruption. Corruption everywhere. From politicians to police officers, it's bad. I've been a police officer here for 7 years and I see it daily.

I live in Bergen County and love it. I can be in Times Square in under 30 minutes.

As for LI vs. NJ, I'd say NJ. The L.I.E. SUCKS. It's expensive to live here but you simply cannot beat the diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread