Long tube header question

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Having stainless works 1 7/8 headers and off road H pipe done on my 09 gt500 soon. Should I use the gaskets that come with it or get Ford OEMs? Also should I use the 02 extenders that come with it as I heard that the factory ones will reach and are better. Thanks everyone.. Hoping for 30 or 40 rwhp. I make 690 now.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jenkins_1120

Established Member
you wont need to use the extenders. just some rerouting of the harness and it will work fine. I used to gasket maker that came with SW headers and haven't had an issue. If im ever unfortunate enough to have to remove those headers ill use a gasket

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
From what i have been seeing there getting new OEM gaskets. They seal the best from what i have heard.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Oem gaskets or if your on a budget the cometic ones that mmr sells are very good as well. I would not use bolts, studs and nuts. The oem studs and nuts are a little pricey but if you buy the ford v10 stud and nut kit its actually cheaper and you get spares....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
While there's a good chance reusing the gaskets will work. I have used new gaskets for install as well for a removal for some upgrades, because if you did have to replace it, it's such a PITA that you'd wish you had. I hear Cometic makes a good gasket that's probably cheaper than OEM. If you do reuse the OEM gaskets, using a bit of high temp exhaust sealant is probably a good idea.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For those of you who have performed your own header swap, did you guys reuse the factory studs and nuts or did you use the bolts that usually come with the headers?

Last edited:

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
I used as many factory studs as I could and then stage 8 on the rest, no issues. Did the same with my 04 a couple of years back and haven’t had any issues.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I used as many factory studs as I could and then stage 8 on the rest, no issues. Did the same with my 04 a couple of years back and haven’t had any issues.

This is what i did too. I’ve seen where some cut the top off of the rear driver side stud for a little more clearance to get the nut on otherwise you have to start the nut and slide the header on at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobH

Established Member
What header size performs better with the oem blower. 1 7/8. Or 1 3/4

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Id go 1 7/8". 1 3/4" is a little small, but if the car will only ever run the stock blower with stock upper pulley it could work.

1 7/8" is the safe bet

Users who are viewing this thread