Long tubes and emissions

N20JUNKY

Established Member
As some of you know I had been battling with my car and going through emissions for the past few months, I got so fed up with my car I was going to pull the long tubes off and go back to a stock manifold and o/r h-pipe. I and others with long tubes have been having trouble with our cars not setting the drive cycle for emissions testing, some readiness monitors would complete while others (o2 monitors, o2 heater monitors) would not and would cause the car's drive cycle to read incomplete. Some cars get away with messing with a few perimeters in the tune and they go complete, not all cars do as in my case. In my state (NC) along with most others only allow one readiness test to read incomplete. I am tuned by Rick at amazon tuning solutions and he has worked with me along this whole time going back and forth trying this and trying that, well I am happy to say that he has figured it out. For all those who have been looking for an answer to this here you go. :beer:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Is this a tune that's safe enough to run with the right tweeks to pass before switching back?

Nuar

Established Member
That is AWESOME!
I have been told by a very reputable tuner that these cars simply will not pass emissions with long tubes... that was after I put mine on lol.
I'm very glad to hear that there is a way to make them pass.
Which LTs do you have on your car?

Shaun@AED

He's setting the monitors to 'not applicable'. Lots of tuners do it.
It will NOT work on all states. NY and CA are 2 of them.

N20JUNKY

Established Member
Is this a tune that's safe enough to run with the right tweeks to pass before switching back?

Yes it is

That is AWESOME!
I have been told by a very reputable tuner that these cars simply will not pass emissions with long tubes... that was after I put mine on lol.
I'm very glad to hear that there is a way to make them pass.
Which LTs do you have on your car?

I have stainless works 1 7/8th with a cattless mid pipe

Dave5.0

Established Member
I'm gonna have long tubes and no cats soon. How am I going to pass NYS? I have a friend who will pass visual no problem.

Nuar

Established Member
Ok, so from what I understand... The cars cant pass emissions because the rear o2's have to be shut off, which triggers a not ready condition on the sensors during the test... What if, the tune left them on, and we used the o2 extender bungs to push the o2 sensors higher up and out of the dirrect path of the exhaust, then have the tune adjust the a/f ratio to a level that would let the car pass... would that work??

jojobee

Established Member
I might have an opportunity to remove my LT and am seriously looking at the Kooks super street to be done with these damn emissions issues.
I'll use a catless midpipe and switch back to my oem midpipe for inspection. For a few hp i dont feel its worth it anymore.

NickSezz

Established Member
The Kooks Green cat systems along with the O2 extenders will pass in NY/NJ with stock emissions settings.

We had a Vortech car that made over 600hp to the wheels pass emissions with Kooks LTHs w/green catted x pipe on a safe tune that can be run on a daily basis.

Shaun@AED

There are other ways.

Cats absorb oxygen and the ECU is monitoring the rear O2's to look for less oxygen than the fronts. This ratio of front to rear will tell the ECU how good the cats are fucntioning. This is the value to change. been doing it for years on the older cars but is not available in most stratigies for the new Fords via SCT.

Last edited:

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
I live in Pennsylvania and my county has adapted California emissions which i believe are the hardest emissions to pass and my car passes without cats and a lund "emission tune". I simply use the tuner and upload the emission tune and then after i pass i reload the 600rwhp race tune. Whoever says these cars won't pass emissions when headers are installed obviously has bad tuners. Granted i won't pass a visual inspection since the lack of cats but thats where that extra $20 comes in handy :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread