Longtubes vs. California

glasslaws

Established Member
Anybody here run LT's in Cali? If so, what cats do you use? What do you do about smog? What did you do about the EGR stuff? I'm so in love with the sound, I'm willing to take them off once every two years, but looking for alternatives.
Thanks

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
Anybody here run LT's in Cali? If so, what cats do you use? What do you do about smog? What did you do about the EGR stuff? I'm so in love with the sound, I'm willing to take them off once every two years, but looking for alternatives.
Thanks

well I have LT but i dont have any cats... all the egr stuff worked on my SLP LT. havent had to smog it yet... had them on about three years now. I love the sound the give as well...

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
LTs will never pass smog in Cali. Moving, removing or replacing the cats with hiflow cats is illegal and won't pass the visual test.

Unless you know someone.;-)

svt4cobra6

I have an 03 cobra with an aftermarket catted h pipe and it passed the visual and sniffer in California. Since the car was originally an out of state car and the modification was not illegal in the other state, they said that it was ok. If it would have been sold originally in California I would have had to locate a stock h pipe and put it on the car. Not sure about longtube headers though.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I have an 03 cobra with an aftermarket catted h pipe and it passed the visual and sniffer in California. Since the car was originally an out of state car and the modification was not illegal in the other state, they said that it was ok. If it would have been sold originally in California I would have had to locate a stock h pipe and put it on the car. Not sure about longtube headers though.

LTs will not pass.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
LTs will never pass smog in Cali. Moving, removing or replacing the cats with hiflow cats is illegal and won't pass the visual test.

Unless you know someone.;-)

Not entirely true.

They won't pass visual. Yes.

As far as the sniffer, I've seen with my own eyes an 02 L pass the sniffer clean with LT's, no cats, and S2.5 cams, and an EGR delete. Ill ask permission and send you the guys number who owned the truck if you don't believe me. You can call him a liar and deal with that wrath on your own :D

Lets just say the smogging people didn't really look too closely, and he did a little tweaking to his tune to get it to pass :D They don't really romp on your car to do a smog check. They run it at like 15 and 25mph and your emissions have to follow a little line on the screen almost like playing that snake game, except a lot faster. If the guy smogging is good, itll pass, without having to 'know someone' or pay a retarded under the table fee.

My advice is try it, and find a smog shop that doesn't charge if the car doesn't pass. (do they all do that? I dunno, the one I go to does that).

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Not entirely true.

They won't pass visual. Yes.

As far as the sniffer, I've seen with my own eyes an 02 L pass the sniffer clean with LT's, no cats, and S2.5 cams, and an EGR delete. Ill ask permission and send you the guys number who owned the truck if you don't believe me. You can call him a liar and deal with that wrath on your own :D

Lets just say the smogging people didn't really look too closely, and he did a little tweaking to his tune to get it to pass :D They don't really romp on your car to do a smog check. They run it at like 15 and 25mph and your emissions have to follow a little line on the screen almost like playing that snake game, except a lot faster. If the guy smogging is good, itll pass, without having to 'know someone' or pay a retarded under the table fee.

My advice is try it, and find a smog shop that doesn't charge if the car doesn't pass. (do they all do that? I dunno, the one I go to does that).

Agreed. I should have said the Visual test.

Users who are viewing this thread