Look what I left on the track today !

LeKiD

Established Member
9yraqeve.jpg

The second time i used the n2nb wot box . First time i left at 2500 and rhe engine fall on its face. The track was very sticky. So the second run I left at 4500 and BANG .

I was using drag radial because thats what i found for this week.

ctgreddy

Established Member
put a sra in it and use whatever tire you want with the 2step. ;)

LeKiD

Established Member
If i wanted a SRA i d buy a mach1 loll

I had no wheel hop , just a dead hook . I have the full tilt boogie kit and yesterday i inspect , check torque on all bolt .

ctgreddy

Established Member
well if you've broken it with no hop, then have fun throwing lots of money at your irs to get it to handle it.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
^ +1

I did the same thing early this summer. Got advice to try soft sidewall Hoosiers and now I'm seeing 1.5x, 60' times.

Call Tousley for that axle. I had one the next day for $350 or so...

LeKiD

Established Member
Put a proper tire on it or slip the clutch a bit more. Screw sra

I Race for the last 10 years with a Foxbody , lunch at 5000 on slick ... It s the first time with a cobra at the track and my mind CANNOT slip the clutch . It s like a on off switch when the light goes down . I had 15psi at 4500 on the WOT box ... If the lunch control is too hard for the car even with full slick I will shut it off .

^ +1

I did the same thing early this summer. Got advice to try soft sidewall Hoosiers and now I'm seeing 1.5x, 60' times.

Call Tousley for that axle. I had one the next day for $350 or so...

Tousley can be a good solution but Is it possible to change just the center axle and the boot , on front wheel drive we can buy the axel by parts.

I'm not fix between 3.73 and 26in or 4.10 w/28 . To be honnest I like the 3.55. I had the 4.10 on my fox and the 3.55 is more street friendly.

And last I think a new diff cover from FRPP can be a good upgrade too , I have always a small drip of oil .

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You can run a drag radial but it needs to be one with as much sidewall as you can get. The sidewall is what saves parts. I'd go with a 28" tall one too.

I like M&H's myself.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Might as well say you need a 28" tall slick. That is about the best you can do to save these things.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member

well if you've broken it with no hop, then have fun throwing lots of money at your irs to get it to handle it.

Every post you make about the IRS you trash it. Yet you never even gave yours a chance, instead you joined the band wagon and went solid, even before your car could put up a respectable number.
Its fine you have your opinion and..... your car your choice, but to constantly bad mouth and push your view is unacceptable. I myself, have done over 15- 6k rpm dumps on a et streets cutting 1.60 60s in a 3800lb car and havent broke a halfshaft yet! I now have 720rwhp and plan on pushing the IRS to its limits, my goal is 9s on a IRS, it has been done and will be done again.
Original poster, the IRS can be made to handle the two step, FTBR kit, subframe connectors, IRS brace, and qa1 adjustable shocks paired with MT ET STREETS or ET DRAGS. Bias plys will keep the IRS alive!:rolling:;-)

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Don't feel bad, I had the same issue. My problem was track wasn't hooking, went up to 5k and it hooked. Dead hook on DR and IRS is no good...

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think it can be hit or miss with the IRS which is why I went SRA. There are plenty of people who have made tons of launches on their IRS and have broken nothing. Then there are those who break it the first time out. I just couldnt justify spending thousands of dollars on half shafts when I could have a fully built SRA for less than that.

I loved how my IRS looked but I just didnt want to worry about snapping anythings. More power to those of you launching on IRS.

ctgreddy

Established Member
the reason i did sra is because of the exact reason tb said, it seems to be hit or miss. i had the full ftbr kit and braced and 28x10x16" bias plys and nobody could tell me if the irs would handle a 2step clutch dump. so i didn't feel like getting stranded at the track and went sra. I very rarely get to trailer my car to the track and that's the main reason, i dont want to get left there while all my gm buddies talk shit about my car breaking. If i was into handling at all i would have prolly kept it, but for me the positives of the sra outweighed the positives of the irs, and no point waiting to do the swap.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
A solid axle can leave you stranded just as easy as a irs. Coming from being a "gm" guy, I've broke my share of 10 and 12 bolts. Anything will break with the right conditions and abuse, that's the story of drag racing!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

SRA's are not unbreakable! :read:

Any time you're launching hard and do it enough, you will find the weakest link just as this SRA conversion found:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/887176-my-rear-end-build-pic-heavy.html

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Im gonna call bullshit on the whole bias ply/drag radial tire argument. 3 years on 315 35 17 Mt dr's and no problems. This year 2nd time out with my new 27x11.5 Hoosiers and my axle looked just like that. Product of excellent traction. Found the weak link at 5k.
It's all in how you slip the clutch

Users who are viewing this thread