Looking at buying a 2003-04 Cobra

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Hey! I am looking to buy a 2003-2004 Cobra convertible. I have found a couple nice ones. Especially a red 03 10th anniversary one. However, it has 85k miles and is topped with a whipple and a bunch of other mods. They're talking 600+ hp to tires. How do these motors handle 19lbs of boost with that many miles? I really like the car, but am concerned about longevity with that much boost. AFAIK, the car has been run like that for approx 25k miles. ALSO, I am sure the value will plummet once the car cracks 90-100k miles.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
These motors were built great from the factory. As long as it has all the correct fuel mods, good tune etc. Get a compression test done. If the results are good make an offer good luck.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
19lbs on 93oct is pushing the limits of what should be done with 93oct, but if done right, the risk is pretty low, but you should accept that it's pushing way past factory boost levels and things do happen. Honestly you sound like someone that would probably be happier with a bolt on\pullied car making high 400's to the wheels and something with less miles. Not sure what your budget is, but there are a few AMAZING condition TR Verts on the market right now for high 20's, but are under 10k miles and well worth the money being asked.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Thanks for the replies so far, especially CobraBob! That is great info!

19lbs on 93oct is pushing the limits of what should be done with 93oct, but if done right, the risk is pretty low, but you should accept that it's pushing way past factory boost levels and things do happen. Honestly you sound like someone that would probably be happier with a bolt on\pullied car making high 400's to the wheels and something with less miles. Not sure what your budget is, but there are a few AMAZING condition TR Verts on the market right now for high 20's, but are under 10k miles and well worth the money being asked.

Actually, I am really looking for a Mystichrome, black, orange or maybe DSG. But, if interesting enough (like the one I mentioned in post #1), I would consider it as well because it is a 20th anniversary model. As far as mods go, you are pretty much spot on--500 +/- would be great. 600rwhp was/is more than I might bargain for since I am trying to go with a more potentially reliable setup. I don't want to always having to fuss with stuff to keep it running right (or upgrading stuff) & 19psi kinda scares me on a 85k mile motor.

Last edited:

joey_tha_kidd

Hey man, just keep looking everywhere and all the time.
I just found a white 03' with 20k miles on it and I got em' to come down to 19.9k.
Good luck man !!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Just remember..a car with that power ..unless your racing you never even use it..

This car in stock form is a beast

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
After driving a 2014 GT500, I got hooked on the whine of the Eaton. So, part of the driving excitement is got to be hearing the scream of the blower~!

MG0h3

Established Member
19psi does seem awfully high on pump. sure it isn't on E85?

FWIW, my car came with the mods in sig minus the FTBR kit. 15 psi on 91. Ive actually never even ridden in a Eaton car (I know), but I definitely wouldn't be happy with much less power. I use all the power it has every time I drive it. My car has been completely reliable and has never had any issues. Ive definitely seen posts on here where guys said the car was the best with the eaton, but I think some of that comes from guys that went too far too fast and cant enjoy the car. There are many people on here that have been @600rwhp on similar and higher mileage for years and are still running strong. At least one guy has been over 700 for like 25k and hes at @115k miles now.

Maybe test drive an Eaton car and the one you listed above and see which you like better. If it was done right and you plan to mod in the future, you are WAY better off letting someone else pay the majority of that cost.

Users who are viewing this thread