Looking for a 1911

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Case support on delta elite sucks which means you cannot run hot ammo. Underwood comes with a sticker that it is not to be used in delta elite.
Also, what is so important about running hot ammo? You aren't getting drastic benefits from it in self-defense scenarios. Are you speaking on simply sporting terms?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Also, what is so important about running hot ammo? You aren't getting drastic benefits from it in self-defense scenarios. Are you speaking on simply sporting terms?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The whole point of the 10mm is to run hot ammo. The garbage that you buy off the shelf is basically expensive 40 cal. If you want a 40 cal buy a 40 cal.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
There isnt a $1200 1911 id trust my life with. But to target shoot, sure.

Off topic, we have some very accurate shooters here. I havent met a person yet that can out shoot the pistol's capability. The "my pistol is accurate comments" are entertaining.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
There isnt a $1200 1911 id trust my life with. But to target shoot, sure.

Off topic, we have some very accurate shooters here. I havent met a person yet that can out shoot the pistol's capability. The "my pistol is accurate comments" are entertaining.

How much are you comfortable spending on a 1911 before you trust it?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
There isnt a $1200 1911 id trust my life with.
But LEOs, and military all carry $500 handguns.
I've seen plenty of failures of all varieties shooting timed matches with 30-110 shooters every Saturday for several years. Sometimes the ammo, sometimes the gun, sometimes the mags, sometimes the shooter. No high-end 1911 will ever be immune to all that.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The whole point of the 10mm is to run hot ammo. The garbage that you buy off the shelf is basically expensive 40 cal. If you want a 40 cal buy a 40 cal.

I don't have a 10mm of my own but have shot plenty of them. What you are saying makes no sense to me as every single one I shot, including the Delta Elite ran perfectly fine and was perfectly accurate with the regular ammo we were using. I'm just not seeing the importance of what you are saying in regards to the gun itself.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have a 10mm of my own but have shot plenty of them. What you are saying makes no sense to me as every single one I shot, including the Delta Elite ran perfectly fine and was perfectly accurate with the regular ammo we were using. I'm just not seeing the importance of what you are saying in regards to the gun itself.

The 10mm was created to get 357 mag performance out of an auto. Because most cannot handle this, ammo manufacturers cut back performance. So off the shelf ammo is watered down garbage with performance roughly equivalent to a 40 cal. If you want performance in line with what was intended of the cartridge, you will need to buy Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc. Here are specs that put a finer point on this:

Underwood 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps
Muzzle Energy: 694 ft lbs

Federal 180 10mm Hyrda-Shok
Muzzle velocity: 1030 fps
Muzzle energy: 424 ft/lbs

Federal 180 .40 Hydra-Shok
Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 400 ft/lbs

The delta elite does not have a supported barrel, which means you cannot run hot ammo without blowing your gun up. So, with a delta elite, you have a 10mm that can only shoot ammo in line with a 40 cal. If you want a 40 cal buy a 40 cal.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
But LEOs, and military all carry $500 handguns.
I've seen plenty of failures of all varieties shooting timed matches with 30-110 shooters every Saturday for several years. Sometimes the ammo, sometimes the gun, sometimes the mags, sometimes the shooter. No high-end 1911 will ever be immune to all that.
What someone else carries doesnt matter to me. I understand and accept how and why failures happen.
How much are you comfortable spending on a 1911 before you trust it?
Due to the grip safety and thumb safety, I cant trust myself. If i could ignore that, id have to research to see. Then put a couple thousand through it first on one specific type of ammo. Then maybe 1-2k more.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
What someone else carries doesnt matter to me. I understand and accept how and why failures happen.
Statistically speaking, and I was trying to choose my words gently, you are misguided if you somehow think that 1911's over $1200 are going to somehow better insure your safety of life and limb, when the lion's share of the failures won't have anything to do with the gun itself.

Edit: Unless what you are saying is you wouldn't trust your life to a 1911 at any price, due to the controls, as I noticed you mentioned up thread. That point I won't argue with.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The 10mm was created to get 357 mag performance out of an auto. Because most cannot handle this, ammo manufacturers cut back performance. So off the shelf ammo is watered down garbage with performance roughly equivalent to a 40 cal. If you want performance in line with what was intended of the cartridge, you will need to buy Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc. Here are specs that put a finer point on this:

Underwood 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps
Muzzle Energy: 694 ft lbs

Federal 180 10mm Hyrda-Shok
Muzzle velocity: 1030 fps
Muzzle energy: 424 ft/lbs

Federal 180 .40 Hydra-Shok
Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 400 ft/lbs

The delta elite does not have a supported barrel, which means you cannot run hot ammo without blowing your gun up. So, with a delta elite, you have a 10mm that can only shoot ammo in line with a 40 cal. If you want a 40 cal buy a 40 cal.

Okay, makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
You are misguided if you somehow think that 1911's over $1200 are going to somehow better insure your safety of life and limb, when the lion's share of the failures won't have anything to do with the gun itself
$1200 is not some magical threshold that assures me 100% reliability. It's more the platform and my personal beliefs in extra safeties.

Does it help get your point across when you tell someone how they are? You said im misguided and i have a magical $1200 threshold. That's not how you discuss things, at least with me.

Furthermore, you will not change my mind. It's best you accept that. I do not trust the 1911 platform in my hands. Period.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
$1200 is not some magical threshold that assures me 100% reliability. It's more the platform and my personal beliefs in extra safeties.

Does it help get your point across when you tell someone how they are? You said im misguided and i have a magical $1200 threshold. That's not how you discuss things, at least with me.

Furthermore, you will not change my mind. It's best you accept that. I do not trust the 1911 platform in my hands. Period.
Read my edit to my post above from yesterday. If you had said, “I simply dont trust myself with the 1911 platform with my life” I wouldnt have commented. I get it. I don't carry one either, even though I shoot them every weekend in matches. I think I totally misunderstood you to say you didnt trust 1911’s under $1200. Like it was a disdain for midrange to lower range 1911's. My bad. Let's put this one behind us.

Last edited:

Sirraf

Established Member
Ok. So I’ve been doing research and I do like some Dan Wesson 1911’s, but aesthetics play a big part for me. I’m not crazy about Dan Wesson personally. I know it is a super high quality pistol.

Why do some of you have concerns about Sig 1911’s? Are there quality issue with them?

ZEN357

Established Member
$1200 will get you a nice Kimber or Colt.

Attachments

• Kimbers_02.jpg
    Kimbers_02.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 251

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Why do some of you have concerns about Sig 1911’s? Are there quality issue with them?
Sig is being run by a guy who I believe oversaw the deterioration of quality at Kimber, and is doing likewise at Sig now. Beyond that, the Sig 1911's are proprietary in that "standard" 1911 aftermarket parts won't necessarily all fit them, including holsters I believe.

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok. So I’ve been doing research and I do like some Dan Wesson 1911’s, but aesthetics play a big part for me. I’m not crazy about Dan Wesson personally. I know it is a super high quality pistol.

Purists would say the Sig is not really a 1911 since it has an external extractor and a proprietary slide. I believe they are also an 80 series and the triggers suck as a result. Double check me on this though, I am not 100% positive that it is 80s. I bought a nightmare on a lark and found it to be a POS and not worth the 1100 I paid for it.

If you can stretch it, 1911 Heaven is blowing out their guncrafter inventory and is selling no names for 2400. As nice as Dan Wessons are I find CHI worth the difference. Just one guys opinion though.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Ok. So I’ve been doing research and I do like some Dan Wesson 1911’s, but aesthetics play a big part for me.
What will this pistol be used for? Conceal carry, truck console gun, target shooting or?

The reason i ask is, i personally would not be concerned with how it looks. My pistol(which will not be named here) which has lives its life a holster looks worn and old but has hardly any rounds through it. It's there to stop a threat, not be pretty. However, if it looking good will make you practice and/or carry more, im all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread