Looking for a 1911

Sirraf

Established Member
So I am in the market for a 1911. I have never owned a 1911 before. I am not looking for anything custom, and my budget is max $1200. The one I am favoring the most right now is the Sig Emperor Scorpion. I guess my list of must haves are:

5'' barrel
.45 ACP
Night Sights
No guide rod
Good Quality

To you 1911 owners out there, what other recommendations do you have?

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Dan Wesson. Take a look at GunBrokers or other online webpages that have budding platforms. Also, you might be able to find a clean pre-owned piece.

Slinging Led, EDC, Tight Lines, Razor Sharp Knives and Conceal Carrying!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Should be able to find a used one for $400-500. A Thompson shud run u $500 or so a Kimber gonna run about $900-1200 unless its really customized. Agreed Gunbroker.com

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Had my scorpion for 5 years now, not a single issue. Accurate as hell, often used as my carry too. Have not had to do a single thing to it and it eats any ammo. Love the night sights that came on it.

M91196

Established Member
Competition shooter with lots of 1911 and 2011 platform guns in hand.

The vast majority of issues experienced with any of these name brand quality guns is solved with high quality magazines.

So don’t cheap out there.

CV355

_
Established Member
Dan Wesson.

This. For the price, you can't beat one. You're in the $2k-$4k range with other brands to get the same level of quality.

Another good one to look into would be a Colt Gold Cup Match/Trophy. Kimber is good, but I believe they're a little overpriced. Ruger makes a decent SR1911 too.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Kimber TLEii RL or Kimber Warrior.
76fdeecf2e0702eff219e113d2fb4baa.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Competition shooter with lots of 1911 and 2011 platform guns in hand.

The vast majority of issues experienced with any of these name brand quality guns is solved with high quality magazines. So don’t cheap out there.
Spot on correct there. My primary pistol is my HK VP9SK 9mm. The magazines from the manufacturer aren't cheap, but for me there is no other option. I wanted the best/original HK magazines (made in Germany). Bought 5 @ $36.06 each.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
So I am in the market for a 1911. I have never owned a 1911 before. I am not looking for anything custom, and my budget is max $1200. The one I am favoring the most right now is the Sig Emperor Scorpion. I guess my list of must haves are:

5'' barrel
.45 ACP
Night Sights
No guide rod
Good Quality

To you 1911 owners out there, what other recommendations do you have?
Sig's 1911 is proprietary if I recall correctly, and if you decide to change anything on the gun, other 1911 parts from places like Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Baer, et all, may not fit it. 1911s are hot rods, people change stuff on them.

I was told recently by one of the most knowledgeable folks I know on 1911's that Sig is now being run by the same guy who screwed up Kimber. There are some nice Kimbers still out there, and some nice Sigs, but current production may or may not be up to speed with both company's past reputation.

You can get a Dan Wesson for that money you mentioned if you look.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
You wouldn't regret buying a Sig! They make a great 1911. They come with a great finish and fitment. They don't rattle when you shake them......like a Colt does. Kimber in the last couple of years has went down in quality in my opinion.

I love my Sig Sauer 1911. The slide is like butter, no sharp edges that need to be dehorned and they just work. The stock trigger feels good for a mass produced pistol.

I also like some of the Springfield 1911's in your price range. May check them out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I heard Kimber had some recent quality issues. Something about using MIM parts in places they should have been?

First 1911 I shot was a Kimber, and it was a nice pistol. But if you have the money, you cant beat a Dan Wesson for the 1911 platform.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I heard Kimber had some recent quality issues. Something about using MIM parts in places they should have been?

First 1911 I shot was a Kimber, and it was a nice pistol. But if you have the money, you cant beat a Dan Wesson for the 1911 platform.
If you have the money, Colt all the way, and upgrade with Wilson as needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread