Looking for a 1911

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I believe they are also an 80 series and the triggers suck as a result.

This is an overly broad statement. One of the fastest match shooters I know personally (and who also possesses several Joe Bonar built 1911's) runs a tuned up Colt with a Series 80 firing system with all parts intact, present, and accounted for. If you spend anytime on the 1911 forums you will read of plenty of folks with hotrodded 1911's with both Series 70 and Series 80 firing systems who will tell you they can't detect the difference.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
This is an overly broad statement. One of the fastest match shooters I know personally (and who also possesses several Joe Bonar built 1911's) runs a tuned up Colt with a Series 80 firing system with all parts intact, present, and accounted for. If you spend anytime on the 1911 forums you will read of plenty of folks with hotrodded 1911's with both Series 70 and Series 80 firing systems who will tell you they can't detect the difference.

I think it is probably more of an old school vs new school thing but if I had to choose a gun that I was not going to touch I would run 70 series over 80 series all day long. I do not believe any of the custom makers run 80 series if that is any indication.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
The thread linked earlier in this thread was mine as I was seeking advice.

1911's are only as reliable as how you take care of them. My sig P938 is 1911 based and I would 100% trust it with my life. It is my carry weapon and out of the dozen times I've taken it the range and even when it was filthy after a couple hundred rounds through it, it still fired.

The ONLY issue I had was a mag issue from sig. I bought a new one, and no more feed/extraction issues.

That being said, after handling several 1911's during my time in Texas recently, I've eliminated Dan Wesson all together. Got some great feedback from a fellow that was a competitive shooter and also has over a $200,000+ gun collection. He let me play around with a Colt 1911-A1, Springfield Operator (slightly older model) and a few others.

The way I see it, buy a springfield or colt for <$700, then, send it out to Wilson Combat for another few hundred bucks and have the trigger improved and a few other things and it will make a phenomenal gun.

I think I'm leaning toward a Springfield loaded, Remington R1 Enchaned and a Colt. Don't really want a Sig for said reasons above, plus, all of their 1911's are $1,000+ unless you manage to find an amazing deal or buy used, which I prefer not to do.

Buying a super expensive gun is not going to make you shoot better. The only thing I can see it doing is somehow boosting your confidence/ego a bit, forcing you to get better. But, alas, that is in the hands of the user. Guns don't magically make people A-class competition shooters. Practice and time do.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Thanks, I am familiar with the differences. I think it is probably more of an old school vs new school thing but if I had to choose a gun that I was not going to touch I would run 70 series over 80 series all day long. I do not believe any of the custom makers run 80 series if that is any indication.
I don't disagree with this. When I have the firing pin out of a series 80 system 1911 I really dislike having to have three hands to hold in the plunger, the firing pin, and the firing pin stop on reassembly. It's a pain. I just don't think a gun with a Series 80 trigger should be categorically ruled out.

Sirraf

Established Member
Also looking at the smith and Wesson TA E series.
upload_2018-6-6_11-17-13.jpeg

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
1911's are only as reliable as how you take care of them. My sig P938 is 1911 based and I would 100% trust it with my life. It is my carry weapon and out of the dozen times I've taken it the range and even when it was filthy after a couple hundred rounds through it, it still fired.

I've got a Sig P938 SAS for my main carry piece, it's a great little gun and mine is also very reliable like yours. You'd think it would be tough on your hands shooting 9mm from such a small gun, but it's very comfortable even with the flush-fit 6 round mag. Great sights out of the box and very accurate.

M91196

Established Member
I don't disagree with this. When I have the firing pin out of a series 80 system 1911 I really dislike having to have three hands to hold in the plunger, the firing pin, and the firing pin stop on reassembly. It's a pain. I just don't think a gun with a Series 80 trigger should be categorically ruled out.

I find it much easier to get a nice trigger with out the extra parts and pieces in the series 80 triggers, and the maintenance is much easier, as you mentioned.

I’ll also restate my experiences from shooting thousands of round thru 2011/1911 platform guns in USPSA every year, quality magazine and their maintenance are a big part of reliability in my experience.

Also I carry a G19 and recommend them to anyone who asks.......

M91196

Established Member
Have you tried the CZ P10-C yet? It’s the G19 rival. Some feel it’s better.

No sir, my experience is with CZ shadows, they are popular in competition and excellent.

I make the Glock recommendation only because their low cost, reliability, availability of parts, magazines and the simplicity of takedown and maintenance for the average owner.

There are plenty others that fit the bill too, just that I am comfortable with the platform and have stopped collecting non collectible pistols and simplified things in my safe.

I love steel single action pistols, shoot thousands of trouble free competition rounds annually but for most people they aren’t the best option for a gun that you will carry day in and day out and needs to go bang every time.

Now I’ll stop derailing the thread.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I make the Glock recommendation only because their low cost, reliability, availability of parts, magazines and the simplicity of takedown and maintenance for the average owner.

I just gave my son a G19 for this very reason, to replace a less expensive Ruger Sr9 that shoots well, but the barrel hood and slide were getting peened.

Users who are viewing this thread