Looking for a pistol for CCL.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I have a Glock 27 and love it. I have been thinking of getting a HK USP 40 S&W, or a XD 40. Once I get back to the states I will head out to a range to find out which one I like best.

You should really go to a range and rent a few different handguns to figure out which is best for you.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I'm looking at the Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/stainless_pro_carry_II/

Don't think I can get a CWP in cali though, the politicians here reserved that right to themselves.

Kimber builds some of the highest quality pistols ot there, but you definitely pay for that quality (well worth it IMO). I have my heart set on a Ultra Carry II, but I am finding it hard to pay that much. I might just get it anyways, while I still can.

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
my first one. SIG-SAUER 239. great great gun. I've never had one issue with it. Fired a sheriff buddy of mine's while searching for my first. Went through Glocks, Springfield, H&K, Beretta, Taurus, S&W, but i loved how this gun shot. My only gripe is magazine capacity.

That's what I carry. No problems at all either,a great accurate gun. I know what you mean about capacity, 8 rds for 9mm, 7rds for .40/.357.

100_3240.jpg

100_3197.jpg

openaccount

Established Member
Ive been looking at a SIG for a while now. Any experience with a P250? Any recommendations on caliber for home defense use?

DO NOT buy a pistol for home defense. Worthless and a waste of money.

Buy a Nice Pump shotgun and use small game ammunition. Home is going to be close quarters and you CANNOT miss with a shotgun in home with a small game shot.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member

Buy a Nice Pump shotgun and use small game ammunition. Home is going to be close quarters and you CANNOT miss with a shotgun in home with a small game shot.

Or you learn to shoot the pistol and when the event comes, you don't miss.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I've carried a Colt Officers ACP in SS for years, it's a great combination of size and stopping power. I understand it's been replaced by the Defender, which is a bit smaller. It's chambered for .45 ACP and holds 6 in the clip (7 with some mag's)

Undoubtedly there are better carry weapons these days (why I'm in this thread) but this gun in a pancake rig is hard to see, and the gun will actually fit in to the front pocket of most jeans. Mine has grips, dovetailed front sight, a spring and bushing kit, and is very accurate.

pix1350568687.jpg
(stolen image, not mine, mine is satin finish)

Last edited:

openaccount

Established Member
Or you learn to shoot the pistol and when the event comes, you don't miss.

Thats a retarded statement. So your telling me your going to hit the intruder in the head/heart everytime? In the dark? Half asleep? The biggest difference is STOPPING power. Even with my Glock 30(.45 ACP) Its not enough. If I hit an arm I want it to blow off. If I hit a leg I want to make sure they aint limping away. If I hit the body, I dont want them to bable to even scream. Ask anyone who REALLY knows guns and ask them what you should buy.

For home defense its a shotgun. NOT A PISTOL.

Why would you pay more for a firearm that is less acurate and does FAR less damage? There is no advatange AT ALL for a pistol for home defense.

A pump shotty is best since its VERY reliable, and the sound when loading the chamber may save you from having to ever deal with the courts.

03DOHC

Established Member
Kimber builds some of the highest quality pistols ot there, but you definitely pay for that quality (well worth it IMO). I have my heart set on a Ultra Carry II, but I am finding it hard to pay that much. I might just get it anyways, while I still can.

thats what i have and i love it.

I just bought it today. :) Now I have to wait.

mcdover

Established Member
Thats a retarded statement. So your telling me your going to hit the intruder in the head/heart everytime? In the dark? Half asleep? The biggest difference is STOPPING power. Even with my Glock 30(.45 ACP) Its not enough. If I hit an arm I want it to blow off. If I hit a leg I want to make sure they aint limping away. If I hit the body, I dont want them to bable to even scream. Ask anyone who REALLY knows guns and ask them what you should buy.

Why would you pay more for a firearm that is less acurate and does FAR less damage? There is no advatange AT ALL for a pistol for home defense.

A pump shotty is best since its VERY reliable, and the sound when loading the chamber may save you from having to ever deal with the courts.

Best of both worlds:

4510TKR-3SSMAG_r1.jpg
[/IMG]
The "Taurus Judge® " is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection. Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances - where most altercations occur, or longer distances with the .45 Colt ammo. We have finely tuned the rifling to spread the shot pattern at close quarters or to guide the .45 cal. bullet to the target. Fully customized with fixed rear sights, fiber optic front sights and Taurus Ribber Grips®, the "Taurus Judge" is one decision-maker that lays down the law.

werstlna

Established Member

I'm not going to flame here, but the OP would be better served by a real gun forum like www.thehighroad.org.

A small game load in a shotgun sounds appealing because of the shot spread, and maybe even for the intimidation factor when it's pumped. Make no mistake, though, you can surely miss even with a shotgun. Penetration is also a major factor (perhaps THE major factor after shot placement) when considering the ability to stop an attack. Small game loads (#6 or #7 shot) simply do not penetrate 12+ inches that is recommended to more reliably stop an attacker. A great website that tests various loads/weapons is www.theboxotruth.com. They recommend #1 buck as a good shotgun load because it will reliably penetrate far enough. Larger loads of course will penetrate more, but then you may also be concerned about over-penetration and collateral damage.

I also consider the shotgun my primary home defense weapon, but that does not mean a handgun has no place in that role. A handgun is more maneuverable in tight quarters, can be concealed (eg when answering a door), allows the off hand to be free (eg open doors, carry child, use flashlight separate from weapon-mounted, use phone), and is more likely to be on your person if you are in the habit of carrying.

Everyone has their own situation and preferences. Education and training are the best way to figure out what is best for each individual. Blanket statements do not help when trying to determine what is "best" for this individual.

dooberGN

Established Member
I'll second. I have the Springfield XD in a .40. It's my new favorite. Good magazine capacity, good stopping power, reliable damned fine American engineeering.:beer:

whatever you decide on, practice, practice, practice. The biggest scariest gun in existance is a useless paperweight if you can't place acurate shots.:beer:

Speaking of placing accurate shots I took my CCw class a month ago and it was a room full of retards. One guy had a accidental discharge into the floor and a bunch of others didn't know how to load their guns. The guy next to me was fumbling with his magazine and the instructor came over asking what the problem was. He said the bullet won't fit into the magazine, turns out he was trying to put it in backwards.:nonono:

Somehow they let the guy who had the AD finish the class, I would have thought that would get you kicked out. Scary thought thinking that asshole is walking around with a gun in public.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
I'll second. I have the Springfield XD in a .40. It's my new favorite. Good magazine capacity, good stopping power, reliable damned fine American engineeering.:beer:

whatever you decide on, practice, practice, practice. The biggest scariest gun in existance is a useless paperweight if you can't place acurate shots.:beer:

My dad has the XD9 and the XD .40 . Wonderful guns that are easy to pick up and shoot accurately even if your knowledge over guns is very basic.

qachargh

Established Member
My personal carry favorites:
SIG 245- ultra compact .45
S&W 329 Nightguard- ultra short .44 mag

Home defense is another matter. A high capacity Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 with .00 shells and a tactical light on the foregrip can be had for fairly cheap with somewhat less danger of over-penetration. But it is still a very real danger that can really only be mitigated with careful planning and practice.

Users who are viewing this thread