Looking for Built Motor Opionions

trakit

Established Member
So I threw a rod and damaged the heads on my 14 5.0. I am in need of a long block. Do I buy one from Livernois? MMR? Buy an Aluminator? I am looking to make 800-900rwhp with a blower. Looking for suggestions, anything to stay away from? Who is the best deal?

Thanks for the info as always!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Livernois, you pay more but you get more, I've heard nothing but good things about them!

Last edited:

D98GT

Established Member
I run a setup from Blake and am very pleased. If you have any questions or need any pictures, just shoot me a PM.

trakit

Established Member
I run a setup from Blake and am very pleased. If you have any questions or need any pictures, just shoot me a PM.

What did you all have done and how much was it? What is the benefit of going that route over the Ford Racing Aluminator?

KPatrone

Established Member
My setup that Blake is building consists of the following:
11:1 new 4v coyote shortlblock
L.A. sleeves
Boss Crank
Eagle H Beam Rods
Diamond pistons with H-13 pins and total seal AP rings
All ARP bolts
Clevite H-Series main and rod bearings
TSS billet oil pump gears

PM if you want pricing. Blake also purchased my old block that will be coming out, also reducing the overall cost of the build. Very easy guy to talk to and has great prices as well.

ford20

Established Member
I would talk to Eric or Aaron over at JPC about building you a short block. When is the last time you ever heard anything bad about JPC? In all honesty I can't remember hearing anything bad about them, especially their motors. Not to mention you get the piece of mind in knowing that arguably one of the top 3 modular engine builders in the country will be building your engine. They have always been very helpful and patient with me since I barely know anything about building an engine and have explained the benefits of each part to me.

The setup I am having them build for me is:

11:1 compression ratio
Custom Diamond Pistons for N/A spec w/ piston skirt and top coating
Total Seal Rings with the advanced profile finish
Darton Sleeves increasing to ~326 CI
Manley Lightweight I beam rods
Offset ground Boss crankshaft
Coated King HP main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
ARP Hardware
TSS oil pump gears

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
MMR, JDM, SHM, ETC... Many good builders out there. Horror stories about just about any one of them and great stories about all of them also.

I would talk to Eric or Aaron over at JPC about building you a short block. When is the last time you ever heard anything bad about JPC? In all honesty I can't remember hearing anything bad about them, especially their motors. Not to mention you get the piece of mind in knowing that arguably one of the top 3 modular engine builders in the country will be building your engine. They have always been very helpful and patient with me since I barely know anything about building an engine and have explained the benefits of each part to me.

Clevite rod bearings
ARP Hardware
TSS oil pump gears

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
My setup that Blake is building consists of the following:
11:1 new 4v coyote shortlblock
L.A. sleeves
Boss Crank
Eagle H Beam Rods
Diamond pistons with H-13 pins and total seal AP rings
All ARP bolts
Clevite H-Series main and rod bearings
TSS billet oil pump gears

PM if you want pricing. Blake also purchased my old block that will be coming out, also reducing the overall cost of the build. Very easy guy to talk to and has great prices as well.

Clevite rod bearings
ARP Hardware
TSS oil pump gears

I'm also curious what each of these builds cost (ball park)

ford20

Established Member
MMR, JDM, SHM, ETC... Many good builders out there. Horror stories about just about any one of them and great stories about all of them also.

That's true, I can't argue with that. Horror stories from MMR? Oh yeah. Horror stories from JDM? Yeah from their past mostly though. Horror stories from SHM? Oh yeah and then some. Horror stories from Livernois? Yep. Horror stories from JPC? None that I can think of in the 6 years I have been active on the forum outside of not being able to get their cast manifold released.

I'm also curious what each of these builds cost (ball park)

For me it is $13,500. Take out the used block I am getting and Darton sleeves and coatings and you are looking at roughly $8,800 for a shortblock that could be the foundation of a car capable of making 550/430 N/A.

I'm not saying that these are the same components of this shortblock but this is their 318 CI motor that went 9s

http://youtu.be/X1dP4B7DVcQ

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That's true, I can't argue with that. Horror stories from MMR? Oh yeah. Horror stories from JDM? Yeah from their past mostly though. Horror stories from SHM? Oh yeah and then some. Horror stories from Livernois? Yep. Horror stories from JPC? None that I can think of in the 6 years I have been active on the forum outside of not being able to get their cast manifold released.

For me it is $13,500. Take out the used block I am getting and Darton sleeves and coatings and you are looking at roughly $8,800 for a shortblock that could be the foundation of a car capable of making 550/430 N/A.

I'm not saying that these are the same components of this shortblock but this is their 318 CI motor that went 9s

http://youtu.be/X1dP4B7DVcQ

Correct me If im wrong but it is not JPC's engine, its an RGR engine correct? Never heard anything negative about RGR before.

People do think these are some crazy mythical engines that only a couple engine builders can even put together, that is not the case at all. There are dozens of small engine builder shops that dont advertise or have big name shops promoting them. Just like I always say, find a different options for engine builders and talk over your goals with them and make a decision based on Reviews, Price, Records set and just the overall vibe you get.

My .02 cents.

ford20

Established Member
Correct me If im wrong but it is not JPC's engine, its an RGR engine correct? Never heard anything negative about RGR before.

People do think these are some crazy mythical engines that only a couple engine builders can even put together, that is not the case at all. There are dozens of small engine builder shops that dont advertise or have big name shops promoting them. Just like I always say, find a different options for engine builders and talk over your goals with them and make a decision based on Reviews, Price, Records set and just the overall vibe you get.

My .02 cents.

Very true! You don't really see a whole lot of advertising by shops like L&M and MPR and many others but there are tons of really good options out there as well.

I also normally just say JPC even though it is JPC/RGR as it just makes it a bit easier for me although I should probably say that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread