Looking for ideas for my car show

maple

Established Member
I put on a Toys for Tots benefit car show in December. I have a portable dyno there for those who are interested in seeing how much horsepower their cars made. That was a HUGE hit, so naturally it will be back again this year. I had 65 cars at the show last year. For a first year show, and to be held in a very tiny town, imo, was very good. I've had a lot more interested expressed already this year. I've also had some really big companies step-up and donate items. Walmart donated a flat panel television, Brooks Speed donated a remote tune, Best Buy donated gift certificates, etc.....

So, for those of you who participate in car shows, what types of things do you enjoy seeing? Thank you for the help!:beer:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I have had this idea for a long time now.

Basically, my idea was to "charge" admission to the show by having attendees donate a new, sealed toy item to Toys for Tots. Naturally, the entry fees for the show participants would hopefully cover the cost of the show, but I figured people wouldn't mind donating like that, even if most shows are free.

Call is "Kars for Kids"

maple

Established Member
I have had this idea for a long time now.

Basically, my idea was to "charge" admission to the show by having attendees donate a new, sealed toy item to Toys for Tots. Naturally, the entry fees for the show participants would hopefully cover the cost of the show, but I figured people wouldn't mind donating like that, even if most shows are free.

Call is "Kars for Kids"

Great idea! My event is the very close to your idea. No money, just one brand new toy for each car that is entered. I am operating merely off of money raised last year and donations as well as sponsors! From a person who was a recipient of a Christmas, PLEASE put your ideas into motion and take the steps to host an event. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have,.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Having the people who attend pick a "People's Choice" winner in one or more categories gets them more involved with the show. Maybe a few raffle prizes given out at different times during the show. Just a couple of thoughts.

maple

Established Member
Having the people who attend pick a "People's Choice" winner in one or more categories gets them more involved with the show. Maybe a few raffle prizes given out at different times during the show. Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks for the ideas Rob. I thought about having a "people's choice" award this year too. I think I may go ahead with the idea! As I stated, I have numerous raffle prizes as well as door prizes this year, GoPro HD2, Flat panel tv, tunes, window tints jobs, gift cards to CJ Pony Parts, LMR, Best Buy gift cards, etc....

maple

Established Member
Burnout competition. Love those.

This is in a high school parking lot. Great idea though. I'd love to see something like that. I wouldn't know what type of results I'd get from that though. They spend so much time detailing their cars, they may not want to put rubber down the side of it. lol

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Great idea! My event is the very close to your idea. No money, just one brand new toy for each car that is entered. I am operating merely off of money raised last year and donations as well as sponsors! From a person who was a recipient of a Christmas, PLEASE put your ideas into motion and take the steps to host an event. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have,.

So did you just accept donations from participants and attendees? I don't see any reason $5 can be charged for each entering vehicle. Or the option of $5 or a new toy. I think the public would be apt to bring a toy as well as long as they knew the cause it was going for.

snkchmr 1

Got a local Hooters ? if so try to get them to send some girls down to pick the awards.
Do a top 10 Hooters girl choice award. I did that at a Hooters one time & it went great.
They may pay for the awards if you put the logo on it & it makes them look great.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Maybe get a Santa for the kiddos? And some sexy Santa's helpers for the guys? And if you have a photographer friend that would like to volunteer some time to take some shots, and the participants could have a chance to purchase some prints? Or have calenders made after the fact and sell them for the upcoming year?

-Eric

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Maybe get a Santa for the kiddos? And some sexy Santa's helpers for the guys? And if you have a photographer friend that would like to volunteer some time to take some shots, and the participants could have a chance to purchase some prints? Or have calenders made after the fact and sell them for the upcoming year?

-Eric

I would combine those ideas. Trying to get a couple photographers to run around taking pics would be cool, but I think a little too much for them. Maybe just a few coverage shots.

But a "Picture With Santa" booth for the kids would be a great idea!

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
You said its at a local high school. Maybe try to get a dunk tank, and talk the principle into being the guy to get in the dunk tank. See if the school would spread the word. Im sure you could get lots of kids, and faculty to come and check it out.

maple

Established Member
So did you just accept donations from participants and attendees? I don't see any reason $5 can be charged for each entering vehicle. Or the option of $5 or a new toy. I think the public would be apt to bring a toy as well as long as they knew the cause it was going for.
I did the no monetary fee to make people more interested in the event. I felt if they were to give a toy directly, they would not have to be worried if the money did, in fact be used for the purchase of more toys. Donations were accepted and greatly appreciated. One gentleman donated a $100 bill.

Got a local Hooters ? if so try to get them to send some girls down to pick the awards.
Do a top 10 Hooters girl choice award. I did that at a Hooters one time & it went great.
They may pay for the awards if you put the logo on it & it makes them look great.
Unfortunately, the closest Hooters is 45 minutes away from where the show will be held. Great idea though. Hooters did donate a gift certificate for wings though.:rockon:

-Eric
Eric, I actually plan on having Santa walking around this year for the children!:-D I had my girlfriend taking pictures last year, but they are by no means professional. I am wondering if it'll be worthwhile to give it an attempt. I'll look into it.

People love food and drinks !! Try and get some vendors
I've had food vendors approach me, but by having local grocery stores donate hamburgers/hotdogs/buns/condiments/etc... I was able to keep the money inside the event.
I would combine those ideas. Trying to get a couple photographers to run around taking pics would be cool, but I think a little too much for them. Maybe just a few coverage shots.

Picture with Santa is a good idea.
You said its at a local high school. Maybe try to get a dunk tank, and talk the principle into being the guy to get in the dunk tank. See if the school would spread the word. Im sure you could get lots of kids, and faculty to come and check it out.
Being the show is held in December, the weather may not be ideal for a dunking booth. The school had no part in the show minus them allowing us to use their parking lot/bathrooms.

Great ideas/input thus far. Keep them coming please.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
a Dj is always good you need some background music going.

I've personally run several GTG's with over 500 cars on a given night with another organization and I will tell you from experience DJ's are always a bad idea.

1) It's really, really loud. This can be an issue for several reasons.
- It attracts a very young element to the event which don't know how to behave properly (ricer magnet!)
- The older group really hates the loud music. It's hard to have a conversation with people when you have some huge speakers blaring music.
- If there is any type of residential area around it will cause noise complaints which will bring law enforcement to your event getting it shutdown

2) Someone will always complain about whatever type of music you choose.
3) It costs the host more money than it's worth.

Burnout competition. Love those.

Expect insurance liabilty issues with this. Also, most places don't like their parking lot all torn up looking afterwards. The bigger our events got, the harder it was to secure a location and ended up having to get our own liabilty insurance which was really expensive.

Hooters is a great company to work with for car shows. The only problem I found with them is a lot of their locations have small or busy parking lots making a lot of car show owners nervous about their cars getting damages. But the girls working there are usually very cool about taking pics with cars!

Santa is always a great idea as are pictures of owners cars. Everyone loves to show off their rides. :)

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Also, contact local bounce house rental places in your area and offer them to come out and set up a booth and a couple of bounce houses for kids to play in. They get the free advertisement to parents and your event gets free bounce to keep the kids and parents happy.

mjc1055

Established Member
Set up a couple of decently sized TVs, a pair of steering wheels and let people play Forza against each other. Maybe make a tournament out of it with a prize.

This would never work, but I always thought it'd be interesting if you had to play with whatever car you brought to the event...hopefully nobody shows up with a Ferrari

maple

Established Member
Also, contact local bounce house rental places in your area and offer them to come out and set up a booth and a couple of bounce houses for kids to play in. They get the free advertisement to parents and your event gets free bounce to keep the kids and parents happy.

I haven't thought about doing anything like that. Great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread