Looking for input: 98 Cobra Procharger Owners

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Considering FI on my 98 Cobra Vert with 70K miles, stock except K&N filter, 3.73 gears, BBK catted X-pipe and Magnaflow cat back. Like what I've read on Procharger w/ air to air intercooler

Questions:

1. How difficult is the installation (w/intercooller)? Much in the way of having to move stuff?
2. What upgrades are needed? Fuel pump and Injectors?
3. Assume custom tune required?
4. Any other tips or feedback?

Thanks!

srtlat

Established Member
Getting ready to do the same thing over next winter
My list
Procharger-$5500
Accufab TB-$340
Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump-$115
60lb Injectors-$100
90mm MAF-$150
Snow meth kit-$400
Tune-$400

Prices are all for new parts.

Gonna try and find deals on everything but the fuel pump.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
You don't need the Accufab TB unless you're making serious power. Also the meth setup is not required as you're going to be running a intercooler, but it won't hurt. Just trying to save you money. Don't forget to add a tuning device, whether it be SCT device or Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. A dyno tune will be required.

Installation is not difficult at all, especially with the procharger setup as no oil drain needs to be tapped in the oil pan. If it's anything like a Vortech setup, the hardest thing to do is bending the AC lines and replacing the cross-over tube. The rest consists of removing bolts here and there, following directions. Take a look at the instruction manual for a scope of work and necessary tools prior to installation. It should cover all necessary steps and possible pitfalls of installation. Try to wrap your head around the steps needed prior to starting disassembly and installation.

If this car is your daily, then get in touch with a tuner and tell them your setup so they can send you a start-up tune after purchasing your parts. This way you can still drive the car until you get a dyno tune, but they should put a soft limiter on it to prevent you from revving the car past a certain point to protect the engine.

What are your plans for the car?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Getting ready to do the same thing over next winter
My list
Procharger-$5500 IF YOU'RE MECHANICALLY INCLINED, YOU CAN PIECE A VORTECH TOGETHER FOR HALF THAT
Accufab TB-$340 ABSOLUTE WASTE OF MONEY. O GAINS UNLESS YOU LIKE THINGS THAT ARE SHINEY
Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump-$115 WORKS WELL.
60lb Injectors-$100 GET SOME SD 80'S. YOU'LL NEVER NEED BIGGER AND THEY'RE BASICALLY THE SAME PRICE.. $350
90mm MAF-$150 75MM PMAS SLOT METER..
Snow meth kit-$400 YOU DON'T NEED METH. YOU HAVE AN AIR TO AIR
Tune-$400 PLUS TUNING DEVICE..

Prices are all for new parts.

Gonna try and find deals on everything but the fuel pump.

ALSO RECOMMEND WIDEBAND, FUEL PRESSURE, AND BOOST/VACUUM GAUGES.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
You don't need the Accufab TB unless you're making serious power. Also the meth setup is not required as you're going to be running a intercooler, but it won't hurt. Just trying to save you money. Don't forget to add a tuning device, whether it be SCT device or Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. A dyno tune will be required.

Installation is not difficult at all, especially with the procharger setup as no oil drain needs to be tapped in the oil pan. If it's anything like a Vortech setup, the hardest thing to do is bending the AC lines and replacing the cross-over tube. The rest consists of removing bolts here and there, following directions. Take a look at the instruction manual for a scope of work and necessary tools prior to installation. It should cover all necessary steps and possible pitfalls of installation. Try to wrap your head around the steps needed prior to starting disassembly and installation.

If this car is your daily, then get in touch with a tuner and tell them your setup so they can send you a start-up tune after purchasing your parts. This way you can still drive the car until you get a dyno tune, but they should put a soft limiter on it to prevent you from revving the car past a certain point to protect the engine.

What are your plans for the car?

Thanks for the input. For me, the car isn't a daily driver. I've changed the timing belt on a DOHC 89 Taurus SHO, so sounds like it won't be too difficult to install the Procharger. Worst case, I'll look to our local Mustang performance shop to do the install. For me, just want to get the added giddy up that the FI offers. Seems like the best way to get there quick.....rather then just a bunch of bolt ons.

I've had an oil analysis done on the car and all the wear metal levels look good, so believe the motor is solid.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I would agree with the slot style maf. I started with the 90mm lightning and it didn't work out for me. So you will have the fabrication of a pipe for that and changing out what the kit gives you. The pipes that I got with my used kit were not the best fitting and didn't go right together without some work so be prepared for that. A couple years later I ended up getting custom aluminum tubing welded up to get rid of the poor fitting procharger steel pipe.

Another thing I had to do was fabricate some extenders for the power steering cooler to be able to move it out in front of the intercooler.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
also I have the lethal 340 pump and 03 cobra 39lb injectors with the plug adapters and have made 450hp so these will be fine for you unless you plan to build the motor soon as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the blower kits typically arent difficult, it feels like trying to put 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag at first but once you start lining it all up it fits pretty well.

also you can save a lot of cash picking up a used procharger kit. You should be able to find a P1 kit under 3k, even if you send the blower off for a check up and service youd be money ahead in most cases

98 Blue

Established Member
the blower kits typically arent difficult, it feels like trying to put 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag at first but once you start lining it all up it fits pretty well.

also you can save a lot of cash picking up a used procharger kit. You should be able to find a P1 kit under 3k, even if you send the blower off for a check up and service youd be money ahead in most cases
What mods did you do for 450hp? That's about what I want to make with my 98.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What mods did you do for 450hp? That's about what I want to make with my 98.

I dont know how much different things are between my Mach and your Cobra. On my Mach I had a catted midpipe, catback and an intake spacer. I had a 4" pulley on my P1 spun to 7k, made 470ish. I did convert to a slot style maf sensor and I was running a stock terminator pump assembly with the check valve delete (i forget the proper name at the moment), power wire upgrade and 60lb injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread