looking to buy a GPS

mvr

Established Member
so im going to be buying a GPS for my car. im taking a rather long trip and dont want to rely on printed directions as they are distracting, i have a iphone but the gps in it just doesnt cut it for a long trip imo. so my price range is 2-300, and i know nothing about what the good ones are or what to look for. so if you guys could recommend some good ones, im going to try and find a good deal this friday on one. thanks

Common

Established Member
Garmin, I have the garmin nuvi250 and it's a great unit. In your price range too.....

mvr

Established Member
yeah i been looking at the garmins, ive found some good deals on them for friday and its what all my friends have been recommending.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Magellan 4000 is the one I bought my GF last year for Xmas, she loves it...

Simple to use, touch screen, talks to you, etc...

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I have a TomTom, my gf has a Garmin. Long story short I want to sell the TomTom and get a Garmin myself. I have yet to see a Garmin with the latest maps screw up locations while my TomTom does it all the time, both have a very nice and easy to use interface. All the others(Navigon, Magellan, Nokia) are just not as good.

BTW there is a sick deal going on if you want all the cool/nice features:bluetooth, fm transmitter, text-to-speech
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UX9YJ0/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Black Friday dude.

Best Buy has the Garmin Nuvi 205 for $120

Target has the Garmin Nuvi 200W for $120

Take your pic. I'd prefer the 200W for the bigger screen.

mvr

Established Member
yeah i just wish i was in vegas where im moving too so i can buy a tv while they are all on sale. cant fit a 42in tv and all my shit into the mustang :nonono:

2k3gt

Established Member
I've heard most of the big brands work fine (Garmin, Magellen, etc.), but personally I would go with a Pioneer. I have the AVIC-D3 and it works amazing...over 11 million points of interest too (the largest database of POIs, I believe). If you don't want to throw down for an in-dash, they put the same technology in their portable units (they have 1 or 2 of them). Plus, I think they look the coolest :coolman:

Juruense

Banned
Don't do it man, do not waste your money on a dedicated GPS device. Those are about as useful as tits on a board. Use Google maps for free or use a cell phone based service. You do not need another little expensive electronic box and you sure do not need another suction cupped to your windshield. I saw a vw dude driving with all this crap on his dash and windshield and I laughed so hard it was ridiculous.

If anything get a totally handheld one that you can hand carry into the woods so you can get more use out of it.

Last edited:

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
Don't do it man, do not waste your money on a dedicated GPS device. Those are about as useful as tits on a board. Use Google maps for free or use a cell phone based service. You do not need another little expensive electronic box and you sure do not need another suction cupped to your windshield. I saw a vw dude driving with all this crap on his dash and windshield and I laughed so hard it was ridiculous.

If anything get a totally handheld one that you can hand carry into the woods so you can get more use out of it.

The ones you see suction cupped to the dashboard are totally handheld, and can be carried into the woods.

Common

Established Member
I just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 250W on Amazon for $189. Can't go wrong with a Nuvi.

That one talks, and for some strange reason that makes a difference. It tell you the name of the street you should be turning onto versus just telling you left and right.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Go Garmin, I've have had a Garmin for about a year now and just bought one for the girlfriend this past week for her birthday. I bought her the Garmin Nuvi 255W (cost me $270) and it is amazing! I have talked with people about their other brand units and they all say if they could do it over again they would buy a Garmin because they are so much more user friendly and have a lot more features. I myself have a Nuvi 260W and I thought that was the greatest thing until I tried out the 255 (which is replacing the 260) and it is even better. It posts the speed limits of major highways when you are traveling on them and it has its own speedo that is exactly right. It also tells you the road names when you are traveling and has features that will tell you where the nearest restruant, gas station, bar, hospital, bank, whatever you need and you click go and it will take you there. It also has a picture viewer where you insert an SD card and you can look at all your pictures you took with your camera. It is also small enough to put in your pocket and use while you are walking around a city, as it has a 3 hour battery life when not plugged in. Well this post is getting long so just buy a Garmin, you wont regret it.

Last edited:

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I got a Magellan something, 4.3 widescreen. It works pretty good except sometimes it has me make U-turns for no reason, and I end up just going in circles when I follow it. Sometimes common sense can be a good thing...

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Oh yeah, and without consulting me my mother bought a Megallian GPS because it was on sale and it is by far inferior than the Garmin's, it is bulky, hard to position on your windshield and does not have half of the features of my Garmin. You can't take it with you in your pocket and the interface (screen) looks like an Atari (less pixels) compared to my Gamin which looks like a laptop screen, which I believe is and LCD display.

Users who are viewing this thread