Lost some respect for the 5-0

smitty328

Established Member
No reason? Driving through a sketchy part of Philly at 4 am is a good reason to give a car a second look.

So, you were stopped for a few minutes at 4 am and werent written a ticket or anything else. Way to complain.

Now lets talk about crappy dentists and how they overcharge for stupid crap and try to sell people work they dont need.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Under #3 there are listed a bunch of indications including time of day, location, behavior, inappropriate dress for time and weather, etc. It is usually the totality of circumstances based on officer experience and knowledge of the area that leads to a Terry Stop.

In most circumstances those things would be probable cause that there is/was a crime being committed.

It is the totality of circumstances: out of place car for the area (too nice for the neighborhood, too crappy for the neighborhood), time of day (no cars out at that time of day), bad neighborhood people do not spend an extra second at stop signs and usually do a rolling stop, etc.

It is a judgment call based on the totality of circumstances and after a brief investigatory stop the officer's suspicions are either confirmed or relieved. In this case they were relieved and the person sent on his way after a brief encounter.

I'm not normally a bleeding heart for the rights of the accused- but it just doesn't seem right to me that a LEO should be able to pull you over for anything less than PC. I think I should be able to drive where I want, in whatever car I want, at any time of the day I want without being pulled over by a cop on a "fishing expedition"..... as long as I'm following traffic laws I should be good. Maybe I'm way off base here but it just doesn't seem right:shrug:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'm not normally a bleeding heart for the rights of the accused- but it just doesn't seem right to me that a LEO should be able to pull you over for anything less than PC. I think I should be able to drive where I want, in whatever car I want, at any time of the day I want without being pulled over by a cop on a "fishing expedition"..... as long as I'm following traffic laws I should be good. Maybe I'm way off base here but it just doesn't seem right:shrug:

This is where "reasonable suspicion" comes into play. Had the OP been leaving the shopping mall at 3:30 PM on a sunny day in a good neighborhood, then this may have been a different story. Really not a whole lot of "reasonable suspicion" to be had. But at 4AM, in a bad neighborhood, and a vehicle that makes a longer than normal stop at a stop sign when the PoPo are clearly visible and monitoring....that puts a little mor articulable(sp) suspicion into play. While the average person may be inconvenienced for a few moments and maybe, just maybe, not agree with it, but think of how many drug dealers, rapists, murderers, child molesters, gang bangers, drunks, etc...have been taken off the streets because of this technique. Please understand, that John Q. Badguy is going to try to obey all laws, and commonly over-exaggerates them when he/she knows that Johnny Law is clearly watching them. This is why we are allowed to conduct stops based upon reasonable suspicions.

black napkin

Established Member
Read the rules for this forum newbie. Bashing of L.E. and/or L.E.O.s is not permitted. You, like others, confuse my failure to indict an officer on hearsay and innuendo as defense.

The problem with idiots like you is you know nothing of Law Enforcement, Police Procedure, the Legal System, and the Law, but insist on posting your "facts" based in nothing but your uneducated opinion.

I will call out an officer on his wrong doing once it is shown to the be case, not just because you, or others that think like you, have determined it should be done.

Unlike you I have actual experience in this arena. Additionally, as a Fed LEO I investigated other LEOs and know the evil they can do, it is just that I rarely see such supported here by actual fact.

Now, it is your turn to read the rules of this forum and to follow them when posting.

im in my 7th year of law school. i know the law well. maybe we dont have all the facts, but i think the other guy was just saying that you stick up for cops a lot...... understandable ....... just lay low on the name calling and things and you wont come off as such a grumpy gills all the time. every post i read that you comment on, you slam the person. lay off. he cant get pulled over if he didn't do anything wrong. he needs a reason and pulling him over without a reason or an unlawful reason is not right. i have been studying law for 7 years now and i haven't once heard of a law saying that you cant drive in the hood early in the morning. don't be so harsh on people. you only live one time. no reason to slam them for anything.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
im in my 7th year of law school. i know the law well. maybe we dont have all the facts, but i think the other guy was just saying that you stick up for cops a lot...... understandable ....... just lay low on the name calling and things and you wont come off as such a grumpy gills all the time. every post i read that you comment on, you slam the person. lay off. he cant get pulled over if he didn't do anything wrong. he needs a reason and pulling him over without a reason or an unlawful reason is not right. i have been studying law for 7 years now and i haven't once heard of a law saying that you cant drive in the hood early in the morning. don't be so harsh on people. you only live one time. no reason to slam them for anything.

7th year of Law School? :dw:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

7 years? You haven't learned very much. Last time I checked you only had to break the law to be charged with something. Not just to be stopped. Stops are made all the time using reasonable suspicion. Take for example a stop I had recently...carload of what appearred to be kids under 18 in a car smoking Marlboros....I didnt have common knowledge that any were under or over 18. No PC to stop. BUT, under reasonable suspcicion, I stopped the car bc, again, they looked under 18 and were all smoking. Turns out 3 were 17 and 1 was 18 and he bought the smokes for the other youngsters. Care to guess how many charges I got based off of my reasonable suspicion?
Now, please stop postsing and go back to studying law.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

thank you for your invaluable input. 7th year of law school? Sorry to inform you, but you must complete law school within five years of your matriculation. Also, you are 19 and obviously not telling the truth.

It is quite obvious you only read the threads where there is drama. I call it as i see it and wont sugarcoat my replies because of yours or others delicate nature. If you were to actually have read this thread you would have viewed the Terry Stop document I posted from the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center that describes the OP's actions as a clear example of articulable facts in which to base such a stop.

lastly read the non drama threads where i give detailed answers that people would have to pay an attorney to find out.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
owned.:rockon:

thank you for your invaluable input. 7th year of law school? Sorry to inform you, but you must complete law school within five years of your matriculation. Also, you are 19 and obviously not telling the truth.

It is quite obvious you only read the threads where there is drama. I call it as i see it and wont sugarcoat my replies because of yours or others delicate nature. If you were to actually have read this thread you would have viewed the Terry Stop document I posted from the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center that describes the OP's actions as a clear example of articulable facts in which to base such a stop.

lastly read the non drama threads where i give detailed answers that people would have to pay an attorney to find out.

musclefan21

Established Member

He is legit. He started his law school when he sexually assaulted neighbor's dog (chiwawa) at the age of 12 and met the judicial system. After that, he continued his law education by trying to steal the gumball machine from the local 7even eleven, exposing himself to little boys, trying to rob a police station and last but not least prostitution at the age of 19. I predict he will have never graduate, continue his law education.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member

He's working on a degree in bird law. That takes 7 years.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Are your 7 other posts on SVTP as constructive as this one?

If you had bothered to read the entire thread you would have had your answer.

Let me guess, you are under 25 years old.

Guess you guys are going to have to put an age restriction on this Forum. :nonono:

00streetfighter

Established Member
I can't believe I read through the first 3 pages.. The crap people spew.

I agree with the "newbie" and "idiot" comments from page 2..

SparkSVT

Established Member
Wanted to share an experience I had lately... I was cruising around Philadelphia with a few friends at 4am (I know) trying to get some of those famous cheese steaks. Anyway, my gps suddenly turned off, causing us to get lost in a pretty sketchy part of town. As I roll up to a stop sign, I notice a patrol car sitting directly to my left, appearing to watch the intersection. I pointed this out to my friends, and came to a complete stop. I verbally counted out loud to my friends the amount of time that I was completely stopped. It had to be around 4-5 seconds, much longer than needed. As I continued on through the stop sign, I see the flashers come on and sure enough, I get pulled over. When to two cops come to my window, they tell me that they "got me rolling right through that stop sign." I was livid to say the least. I told them that I saw them well before approaching the intersection. They ignored me and tried accusing me of looking for drugs. I offered them to search my car or do whatever they felt necessary. After I showed them my dental school ID, I had them pretty confident that I wasn't a threat, and they let me go with a warning.

I'm still pretty ticked off about it, since there was absolutely no valid reason to pull me over.

Stay out of North Philly dude. Philadelphia is a warzone. Cops being shot and massive gun violence and drugs. A car load of white guys wheeling through the BadLands is usually guys cruising for dope. Sucks you were stopped, but once you explained yourself it sounds like it worked out.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Wow.... um- before you call someone out you may want to do your "homework." Though Adam and I haven't agreed on everything you will find he is one of the most educated, well read, fair minded people on this board. Did anyone mention to you yet that he's also a mod AND has a JD. (and MD as well if I'm not mistaken) you would do well to use Gods gifts as intended- he gave you 2 ears and ONE mouth for a reason. You should listen more than you speak!!

Ronin5.O

Established Member
you would do well to use Gods gifts as intended- he gave you 2 ears and ONE mouth for a reason. You should listen more than you speak!!

Actually, the reason to have two ears has to do with locating the origin of a sound relative to your position. This helps the brain determine an appropriate course of action to assess the possible threat and to determine a logical physical reaction. Simple biology and bilateral symmetry.

Hearing Direction and Distance with Sound - Succeed Through Using Your Senses: School for Champions

:beer:

It sucks for the OP, but given the location, time, and circumstances the LEO had reasonable suspicion. Not to say I wouldn't be slightly peeved at being stopped for seemingly doing no wrong. The LEO lying was unwarranted, not illegal, but none the less at least the rest of the interaction had with the LEO was morally just. :shrug:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Actually, the reason to have two ears has to do with locating the origin of a sound relative to your position. This helps the brain determine an appropriate course of action to assess the possible threat and to determine a logical physical reaction. Simple biology and bilateral symmetry.

Hearing Direction and Distance with Sound - Succeed Through Using Your Senses: School for Champions

:beer:

It sucks for the OP, but given the location, time, and circumstances the LEO had reasonable suspicion. Not to say I wouldn't be slightly peeved at being stopped for seemingly doing no wrong. The LEO lying was unwarranted, not illegal, but none the less at least the rest of the interaction had with the LEO was morally just. :shrug:

I keep forgetting that humor and sarcasm often don't translate on the internet. I wasn't being literal. I have Menieres Disease so I know all too well what the ears do for the body. But thanks I guess.:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread