loud ping noise when taking off

2000 gt

Established Member
so latly as im driving the cobra im getting a very loud ping noise from under the car everytime i leave a light or stop as i begin to roll i get a loud ping or sort of bang. car has a sra and aluminum driveshaft. t56 6 speed itll also do it if im cruisen along barely on the throttle and i suddenly hit it and sort of jerk the car ill hear that ping anybody have any idea what this could be :??::shrug::read:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Video of said noise would make guesstimating whats wrong with it much easier. When you say pinging on acceleration most are automaticly going to think its a engine ping.

2000 gt

Established Member
ok ill try and get a sound clip up but its the drive shaft or rear end area not the engine like you may think its one solid ping noise from under the car and more so behind the driver seat i can tell nothing motor wise and i dont even think its the trany a friend said since i have an aluminum drive shaft it could be cracked or possibly the u joint itself

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It does it even with the clutch pedal out and clutch fully engaged? Mine makes a ping noise of I lazily let the clutch out leaving a light, I think mine is maybe TOB starting to go. More of a ping than a clunk? I assume you know about the "cobra clunk". You could try going to an open space and doing some medium speed sweeping turns to check for noise\popping. That will let you know the half-shafts and rear diff are at least OK.

2000 gt

Established Member
I checked out my exhaust. That's is definetly not the issue. And I have a solid rear so I don't think that cobra clunk your speaking of. As for my clutch engagement it happens right as I'm fully engaged so pedal just got up. Than ping. Or if I'm In first gear in a parking lot. And let off the gas on a higher rpm (3000) or so and if I suddenly push the clutch pedal down fast. Than bang. It makes the noise

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yes a ujoint can make that noise..

Being yours was touched..

Lack of grease..bad install ..frozen ujoint..

Premature wear from driveline angle or rearend movement ..

Hard driving

A frozen ujoint is found by feel..shaft must be pulled..

2000 gt

Established Member
Yes a ujoint can make that noise..

Being yours was touched..

Lack of grease..bad install ..frozen ujoint..

Premature wear from driveline angle or rearend movement ..

Hard driving

A frozen ujoint is found by feel..shaft must be pulled..

i was kinda leaning that way just never heard that kinda noise before ill take the shaft out tonight and see where im at thanks everyone for the tips ill update if a u joint fixes it

hotcobra03

Established Member
i was kinda leaning that way just never heard that kinda noise before ill take the shaft out tonight and see where im at thanks everyone for the tips ill update if a u joint fixes it

feel for frozen is 1 thing...play in ujoint when you twist yoke to yoke..best if shaft is held in vise and a very large pair of channel locks is used to twist vs hand..

transmission yoke can also make that noise...

2000 gt

Established Member
Discovered the driveshaft bolts were coming loose. And the noise was the drive shaft shifting positions Problem solved with some lock tight

Users who are viewing this thread