Lowered with adjustable upper, now bump stops do not sit straight up

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I'm BMR upper mount, top hole with BMR upper arm. BMR lowers adjustables, BMR relo's (believe upper hole), BMR panhard, steeda "boss springs", and Strange single ways. I can grab one tomorrow, can't get the car in the garage at the moment, doing insulation.

Ok, cool, we are similar so settings should be similar. How far out from bottomed are you on the upper arm? Also, which side did you use to set up pinion angle, ds or ps?

01bluesnake

Established Member
So what's the standard for which side to use? Im really confused at the moment and I want to get this fixed. I don't want to tear anything up.

I use either side, the positive and negative's will swap. I know if i measure the DS at -3 and the diff is also -1, then the nose is up, same way reversed if both positves. If i measure the DS at -3 and diff is +1, then i know its down 1 degree. It would be nearly impossible to get a positive reading for the DS, since it would need to go basically into the tunnel floor, or trans very low vs diff height, it will always point down.

Last edited:

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I use either side, the positive and negative's will swap. I know if i measure the DS at -3 and the diff is also -1, then the nose is up, same way reversed if both positves. If i measure the DS at -3 and diff is +1, then i know its down 1 degree. It would be nearly impossible to get a positive reading for the DS, since it would need to go basically into the tunnel floor, or trans very low vs diff height, it will always point down.

How far in are you on the upper as far as threads left showing?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I believe i was around the middle to short of the arm when i got it in spec, but i also played with the lowers length which will affect this. If you read from looking at the driver side, it will look like the chart posted above. Sometimes its best to read measurements on the car the same way they are being shown when referencing pinion data pics so you don't get confused with how they swap positive/negative.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
One thing that I think will really help, do I subtract the driveshaft number from the diff number or the diff number from the driveshaft number?? I know im probably making this harder than it has to be but I am really trying to understand.

01bluesnake

Established Member
No problem, it can definitely be confusing. You want the nose to be down or as close as possible without going positive. If the DS reads a -2, then you will see a +1 for nose down, and a -1 for nose up. If the DS shows +2, then will see -1 for nose down, and +1 for nose up.

01bluesnake

Established Member
One thing that I think will really help, do I subtract the driveshaft number from the diff number or the diff number from the driveshaft number?? I know im probably making this harder than it has to be but I am really trying to understand.

I always thought you subtracted the positive from the negative, but you are actually just looking at the difference between the two. Kelly helped me understand this although i still get confused sometimes and have to recheck myself. If your number is -2 DS, and +1 pinion, your angle is 3 nose down.

I thought it was if the ds is -2 and pinion +1, then you had 1 nose down, although not the case.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I always thought you subtracted the positive from the negative, but you are actually just looking at the difference between the two. Kelly helped me understand this although i still get confused sometimes and have to recheck myself. If your number is -2 DS, and +1 pinion, your angle is 3 nose down.

I thought it was if the ds is -2 and pinion +1, then you had 1 nose down, although not the case.

Thanks, I understand a little bit clearer now. I will try again tomorrow.

BMR Tech

PinionAngle-1pcShaft-1.jpg

BMR Tech

Alright, I'm confused. You started with -.5 in the first post. Now you are at +.5 and the UCA is as short as it will go? To go from a negative to positive, it takes lengthening the UCA, not shortening.

Can you call me tomorrow?

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Alright, I'm confused. You started with -.5 in the first post. Now you are at +.5 and the UCA is as short as it will go? To go from a negative to positive, it takes lengthening the UCA, not shortening.

Can you call me tomorrow?

I will call you tomorrow. When measuring from the drivers side, the driveshaft angle is negative, leaning down towards the back of the car, the pinion flange is angled on the same slope as the ds, towards the back of the car. Shortening the arm, for me, made the diff rotate back forward so the pinion flange points slightly down towards the front of the car. Basically they were angled the same way versus angled opposing eachother. Im confused again!!

The angles are on the same slope like this: \ \ versus different slopes like this: \/ not to those degrees but you get the picture..

Last edited:

momstmg

Established Member
Measure angle at front of transmission, then measure pinion on diff. For example if the numbers on the trAnny was -1.5 then the number on pinion should be -3.5, take those numbers (-1.5 - -3.5= 2) and it would give u 2. Your pinion would be angled down compared to the flange on tranny.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I will call you tomorrow. When measuring from the drivers side, the driveshaft angle is negative, leaning down towards the back of the car, the pinion flange is angled on the same slope as the ds, towards the back of the car. Shortening the arm, for me, made the diff rotate back forward so the pinion flange points slightly down towards the front of the car. Basically they were angled the same way versus angled opposing eachother. Im confused again!!

The angles are on the same slope like this: \ \ versus different slopes like this: \/ not to those degrees but you get the picture..

Call me. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread