Lowering TP/PP

Johnny GT500

Established Member
So I've been going thru a lot of the threads and still am unsure the best way to lower my car. Everyone seems to say the Ford racing springs are the way to go and I am leaning that way. However, do I need to install anything else i.e. panhard bar? I've seen ford racing offers a full set up for around $1700 for the TP/PP car that includes a lot of parts. Is all that necessary or am I okay with just the springs? I'm not going to track the car, but want to get the rake out. Btw, my buddy works at ford and told me the reason they rake the car is so you could put snow chains on the back! Guess you could use the front splitter as a snow plow too!

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
I have the same concerns about lowering and getting the desired results . I have heard the Eibach Sportlines will take out the rake and will drop at least an inch all-around on a TP/PP car (which, according to many here sit .5 lower than non-equipped models). As others have brought up, things change when lowered, like pinion angle, which can have adverse affect on already limited traction and cause vibration. I vacillate between the 4x4 stock look, and spending the cash on all necessary parts to lower it correctly.....

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

That's not why they take it, but there is a govt regulation that there has to be ample space for snow chains - this is from the factory, not aftermarket

Crazy that he would bring that up.

Seriously though, second thread on this tonight?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I have the same concerns about lowering and getting the desired results . I have heard the Eibach Sportlines will take out the rake and will drop at least an inch all-around on a TP/PP car (which, according to many here sit .5 lower than non-equipped models). As others have brought up, things change when lowered, like pinion angle, which can have adverse affect on already limited traction and cause vibration. I vacillate between the 4x4 stock look, and spending the cash on all necessary parts to lower it correctly.....

HATED the sportlines on my car.
I think Van's words were "take that garbage off" and hooked me up with a nice setup on my 08

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
There is an Eibach kit that lowers the car more than the FRPP springs do, and keep the rake.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Another option is to install the R. H/R Springs with an Adj. Panhard Bar . Levels out the look. Worked very well on my 09.

Silver_Bullet

Established Member
I recommend LCA relocation brackets if you lower the car. I lowered mine with the FRPP springs and love them. They leveled out the car and wont void the warranty on your shocks since Ford specifically says they are compatible with the SVTPP Bilsteins.

After lowering the car, I noticed it was easier to spin the tires than ever before. I then installed the BMR LCA relocation brackets and traction was much improved.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So I've been going thru a lot of the threads and still am unsure the best way to lower my car....I'm not going to track the car, but want to get the rake out.

Those with the greatest success are usually those with the clearest vision of where they want to be. You aren't going to track the car and want a lower, sleeker appearance. A well balanced look with a hint of nasty - but not over the top and as such not subject to the woes that sometimes show up when you take it too far.

Pick a spring that (along with the wheel/tire combination you'll be running) makes you happy. If you are keeping the stock dampers, a spring that nearly matches the engineered-in frequency rate will give you the most desirable results from a performance perspective as well great feel in your body and mind.

As suggested, add an adjustable panhard bar. A simple modification that allows you to re-center the axle at your new ride height. Pay attention to the type of bushings that are available and keep your long term vision in mind when making a choice.

Another highly recommended bolt on (as Silver_Bullet mentioned) is a set of relocation brackets. You have an advantage here as they have matured through years of use/rethinking and the units offered today by a number of manufacturers are far better than what was offered only a few years ago. I highly recommend this mod in concert with the rest of your efforts and if I were to point to a manufacturer of choice for this piece it would be BMR.

There you have it. Springs, panhard bar, LCA relocation brackets. You'll spend maybe a third of the Ford Racing number you quoted previously and have something much more to your liking. Beware - that's when the voices in your head will start chanting about control arms. It's a like huge snowball that'll gobble you up and it's all downhill from there.:-D So just stay focused and keep your original goals in mind.

We're talking '13/'14 models and with that in mind the amount of drop in the context of this discussion doesn't begin to scratch the surface when it comes to either vibration or pinion angle troubles. The CF shaft, with CV joints at each end takes care of the previous S197's two piece shaft issues. And with the OEM upper having been elongated/rebushed in later years (which includes the '13/'14 model) you'll no longer need to vacillate. That is not to say that an adjustable upper isn't a good idea - it is. But necessary for a car that may not ever be tracked? Far from it.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
bmr also?

Not sure why I can't put that in capital letters?? Tried 5-6 times now.

When you order the rear suspension kit from Revan Racing you get to select which springs you want. The Eibach option lowers the car more than the FRPP option.

Def don't want to keep the rake!

I wanted to keep the rake, and lost it with the FRPP springs, if that helps. :shrug:

TORQJNKY

Posted this in the other lowering thread as well. My car has the Track Pack and Performance Pack and had the stock Suspension in these pictures. No additional suspension mods were used when the Eibach Pro Kit springs were installed. Here's a picture of the car with the springs installed when I bought it. Not my license plate :D

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Notice the years '05-14' no GT500 til 2007 and Kelly the BMR ford guy on here has mentioned the GT500 specific fronts as not available yet or special order, I forget.
I will be running Vans dead hooker rears and would love a BMR front spring with more drag friendly rates, at this point I'll be running the FRPP L fronts which are same rate as the PP springs but .5" lower in the front.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You can run a GT front spring in a GT500 it just will lower it more and may not have enough rate as the SC 5.4/5.8 weighs a few pounds more than a coyote NA 5.0 :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread