LPW 8.8 Aluminum IRS Rear End Differential Cover installed

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
I finally got my new LPW IRS diff cover installed yesterday at my local FORD dealership for and extremely low price of $96. This was due to to a miss quote that my service manager felt obligated to keep becuase they thought my Cobra for some reason had a live axle lol. The install went well and the cobra feels a little smoother now that there is Royal Purple threw out the enitre drivetrain (engine, trans and rear end) but now for some reason the infamous cobra clunk is now more louder?? I hear it a little when i shift into first at idle like i always did but more when I apply the throttle come off then apply again I hear the clunk. Yesterday driving home I went through gears 1 -4 and she flew with out hesitation but the rear end felt lose shifting forward and rear?? Today I pulled her out of the driveway and drove up and down my block just in 1st and 2nd gear and the clunk seems louder than before?? I called my service manager at ford and he said bring it back and a tech will ride with me to help analyze the problem. Is this normal after the whole IRS is unbolted and lowered or are my bushings just that shot?? I could kick myself :bash: for not having the funds to install the delin bushings throughout the IRS while is was lowered but my leaking diff was getting worse so extra parts and labor was not in my budget. Feel free to chime in fellas. Bruce I could really need your help if your reading this??

Last edited:

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
I don't really know anyone in the area and i also figured why not bring it to the manufacturer. The aftermarket cover ony differs from the stock cover in thickness not mounting ponits. The install should have been as simple as replacing the stock cover.

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
I agree about the bushings because I just came back from another ride in the cobra because if I gently engage the throttle after shifting the clunk isn't as loud but when I shift quickly the clunk is there plus I noticed the front subframe blunting point are just in front of the rear tires and I can hear some of the clunk from this region. I wonder if I work some OT maybe for now I'll order bruces (Full Tilt Boggie) sub frame and diff bushings I think it will run me about $225

Tractionless1

Established Member
I don't really know anyone in the area and i also figured why not bring it to the manufacturer. The aftermarket cover ony differs from the stock cover in thickness not mounting ponits. The install should have been as simple as replacing the stock cover.

Yes it should but you then brought it to the dealer which makes everything 10x harder. Do yourself a favor and search the forums for someone experienced, the "manufacturer" is a moron!!

Users who are viewing this thread