LPW differential cover. Did you have to grind?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I'm in the middle of the install and for some reason the LPW logo is hitting against my rear diff mount not allowing the back bolts to go in. Not a big deal normally, but when a part says it's designed for my car I expect it to fit. Am I out of line? Are there any tricks I'm just missing?

GTIZZL

Established Member
Yes you need to grind the lpw off. I had the same problem with mine and it was a b*tch to put the diff in with the lpw on then you get vibration noises also. I ended up grinding it off and then it installed perfectly.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Yes you need to grind the lpw off. I had the same problem with mine and it was a b*tch to put the diff in with the lpw on then you get vibration noises also. I ended up grinding it off and then it installed perfectly.

WOW! I should have got a job at LPW making diff covers! If all I had to do is come up with something that looks good, but doesn't fit, I would be set! Way to go LPW....I'm going to be more than happy to shave your name off my cover :bash:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Yea mine was really close, but I didn't have to grind anything. I could get about 5 pieces of paper in between the two.
SAM_1015.jpg

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
^^^^I am truly impressed! I screwed with the thing for a couple hours before saying "f**K it." Gonna drop the diff in the morning, get it shaved and see if I can't get most of it done before I go to work tomorrow. Sad to say, I won't have the car this weekend as it will be in need of an alignment. I'm ready to drive it! I wish I could.

GTIZZL

Established Member
Yeah mine did not fit anything like the pic above.. What rear diff bracket and bushing are those? Maybe thats why your fit better. Mine was with the oem rear diff bracket and bushing.

TRBO VNM

Hmm, I wonder if they changed the production or something. I have installed a few and never had a problem.

TRBO VNM

Yeah mine did not fit anything like the pic above.. What rear diff bracket and bushing are those? Maybe thats why your fit better. Mine was with the oem rear diff bracket and bushing.

That is a stock bracket and looks like either MM or FTBR bushing.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Tried with my life with the stubborn bushings, couldn't do it. I also had to grind logo

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I just received a return email from LPW....yes I wrote them. They said they've only heard of this happening 3 times. I know of three people personally once I asked around last night, and then on here. Seems hit and miss

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I'll be putting in the pro series cover with arp main cap studs, lube locker gasket and arp stainless diff cover bolts this weekend. I sure hope I dont have to grind the cover to make it fit!

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
I just received a return email from LPW....yes I wrote them. They said they've only heard of this happening 3 times. I know of three people personally once I asked around last night, and then on here. Seems hit and miss

Yep. I had to grind half of the L & P raised letters down to the boss for mine to fit and clear the back mount. I went with the Pro Series powdercoated cover and used a lubelocker gasket. The only other change was to the MM urethane bushing kit for the front mount and back mounts vs the stock rubber bushings. I personally called LPW to voice my concern but they only told me 1 or 2 other people called with the same problem. I suggested they just do away with the raised LPW logo! :bash: Other than that--great cover and zero leaks. :rockon:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I had the issue with mine, and had even wasted the time painting the the raised logo red. I say "wasted the time", because you can't see it at all anyway once it's installed, so grinding it off really doesn't matter if you need to. I was installing the FTBR bushings with their delrin rear mount. I ended up grinding a chamfer into the bushing after it was installed in the mount to clear the cover, and didn't have to grind the logo at all. It really is not a big deal either way, but LPW should be made aware that it IS a bigger problem than they they seem to think, because it was a poor choice to put their raised logo in that area, because it not only interferes with the stock mount, but once installed the logo is obscured anyway! They should have just put it at the bottom of the cover so that it could be seen if they were looking to "advertise", otherwise they should just delete it altogether.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I sent Doug another email with a link to this thread. He seem pretty cool, but this was his respond as to why it didn't fit

"After researching this, we found the problem is that Ford welds this mounting bracket together from many pieces and there is a variation in clearance from car to car. The reason the logo is up in the center area is to add thickness to the center rib over to the mounting boss."

Hopefully, this will lead to a different design that will fit properly on every car. I love the cover, but like I mentioned, it sucked to have to grind a good looking cover

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I am about to install my LPW cover. Their intructions say to just use silicone gasket sealer. I have a Fel-Pro gasket that I was planning to use.

Its got to go together tomorrow, so I don't have time to order the lube-locker gasket. :(

Anyone else use either a standard gasket or just silicone only?

Users who are viewing this thread