LPW differential cover. Did you have to grind?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I test fit the rear mounting bracket yesteday. I had to grind off most of the 'LP' to keep it from touching the bracket. FWIW.

It is deffinately annoying to have to take the die grinder to a nice pretty $220 part like that.

I also replaced the rock vent with a 1.4" hose barb and about 10" of fuel tubing. I am putting a female-hose barb of the other end of the tubing to allow the rock vent to attach at the other end of the tube. Probably over-kill, but we get a ton of rain in central FL.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Mine is giong back in today. I keep hoping I dont have to pull it back out to grind the lettering but might just go ahead and grind it off to save myself the time and frustration just in case.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
had to grind my pro series cover

38acb693.jpg

dirty view from underneath showing the minimal clearance from griding the logo completely off
0babd78e.jpg

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I would drop it. You simply won't have enough room to get to the upper bolts. That and sealing it might be a trick.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
yeah this is some BS..i didnt have any trouble getting the diff back in but my cover is hitting the rear mount and is transferring a ton of noise..very aggravating noise while driving..sounds like gear noise transferring throughout the rear of the car..i didnt know what to do about it, but it seems like everyone is shaving down the LPW, sure as hell not dropping diff to do it thought

forcefedcobra

Established Member
yeah this is some BS..i didnt have any trouble getting the diff back in but my cover is hitting the rear mount and is transferring a ton of noise..very aggravating noise while driving..sounds like gear noise transferring throughout the rear of the car..i didnt know what to do about it, but it seems like everyone is shaving down the LPW, sure as hell not dropping diff to do it thought

You might be able to get away with just removing the diff mount or dropping the rear down just enough to file on it or get an angle grinder in there.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I went to go put on a tube so that the breather hole doesn't spit out fluid.....well, the lovely gentlemen at LPW crossthreaded the freaking breather bolt!! Anyone else have this happen?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I went to go put on a tube so that the breather hole doesn't spit out fluid.....well, the lovely gentlemen at LPW crossthreaded the freaking breather bolt!! Anyone else have this happen?

That stinks!! I just installed my LPW cover last weekend. I replaced the LPW vent with a barb fitting an a piece of hose zip-tied to the upper sub frame. I also put a female barb fitting on the other end of the hose to reuse the LPW vent/filter. We have a ton of mud-wasps here that love to nest in any orafice.

You should be able to drop the rear mount and grind down the 'LPW' without removing the whole differential.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
That stinks!! I just installed my LPW cover last weekend. I replaced the LPW vent with a barb fitting an a piece of hose zip-tied to the upper sub frame. I also put a female barb fitting on the other end of the hose to reuse the LPW vent/filter. We have a ton of mud-wasps here that love to nest in any orafice.

You should be able to drop the rear mount and grind down the 'LPW' without removing the whole differential.

exactly what I was doing! I knew it was a little hard to get off, but when I actually got it off and saw the the threads were all plugged with aluminum, I was pretty heated. I bought a tap (only one place in san diego carried a 1/8" NPT tap), so I'll get the threads cleaned up tomorrow.

If anyone else runs into this in the future, shoot me a PM, pay for shipping and I'll send you the tap. Hopefully this will help someone else out.

forcefedcobra

Established Member

Mine was the same. I figured I would gain some added security having the vent tube on and it came right out easily but was all jacked up. Got it back in but used a little epoxy just to make sure it doesnt fall out later.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Mine was the same. I figured I would gain some added security having the vent tube on and it came right out easily but was all jacked up. Got it back in but used a little epoxy just to make sure it doesnt fall out later.

I couldn't get mine back in :/. Going to tap it tomorrow and put the barb and tube in

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
That sucks, I never had any issues with mine except they didn't send me the breather barb and had to call and get one...

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
That is a stock bracket and looks like either MM or FTBR bushing.

Yup FTBR Bushings and I am not sure if the powdercoat shifted anything. Like I said, I can only get about 5-6 sheets of paper between the letters and the bracket but so far I don't have any weird noises.

Users who are viewing this thread