LPW differential cover. Did you have to grind?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
The Ford racing diff cover would have fit mine without grinding, but i have MM diff bushings and brace on mine........had to grind the hell out of that.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yup FTBR Bushings and I am not sure if the powdercoat shifted anything. Like I said, I can only get about 5-6 sheets of paper between the letters and the bracket but so far I don't have any weird noises.

4-5 sheets of paper is not a lot of clearance. You're talking about .005" for a sheet of paper so you have .020" - .025" of clearance. But if the car is put together and you don't have any noise then it surely doesn't need to come back apart, that's for sure! :-D

Just for future reference for others with the LPW cover, this seems to be a hit and miss issue. I think it's manufacturing tolerances of the Ford bracket and the cover that makes it hit or miss.

If the LPW letters make contact with the rear support bracket, that will transfer NVH from the gearcase to the support bracket. This will in turn transfer NVH to the subframe making additional unnecessary and unwanted NVH. So watch for that if you're using an LPW cover.

Personally I would like to see a minimum of 1/16" (.062") of clearance. Preferably like .090" - .125". (1/8")

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
thought I ground my cover plenty but it is still contacting the top welding slag of the bracket. LPW fails on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread