LT Header Install

13GreenGT

Established Member
Just ordered 1-3/4" Kooks longtubes w/ the catted x pipe recently :). I'm researching what it is going to take for the install on these.
I have been reading that people are noticing play in the steering wheel after unbolting and re-bolting the steering shaft? What is causing this and how can I avoid this? I have been referencing this video also for a "how to" on the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGHKcDh3rfc

Thanks,

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Should not be any play in the steering after installing them. If that happens you did something wrong. Very simple install, drop kmember and replaced headers.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yea good luck taking double the time doing that, dropping the kmember and doing it takes 3 hours from start to finish.

Nuar

Established Member
I did the install myself. I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ to have a shop install them.
That video helped A LOT.
now... a few tips...
a SMALL ratchet, a few extensions and a deep socket will help with the starter bolts.
re use the stock studs and nuts, but some will have to be removed to put the aftermarket header on and then replaced.... ratchetting wrenches help quite a bit.... use OEM FORD header gaskets if you want to have a leak free exhaust in the long run.
dropping the k member will cut the install time in HALF at least... you don't need to completely remove the kmember. just unbolt it from the body and let it hang on the front suspension components. that will give you plenty of room for the installation.

The biggest tip I can give you is this link: ( thanks to Blazer707 we have a fix for this manufacturer defect/oversight
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...x-With-PICTURES!-No-More-bad-02-s!&highlight=

Do not hesitate and do it BEFORE you isntall the long tubes, otherwise you will be replacing a lot of 02 sensors. it really sucks the life out of enjoying the car when it constantly acts up and throws check engine lights... speaking from experience here. Believe me, just do this simple mod before the headers make it onto the car.

oh ... and the ground strap on that passenger side motor mount stud... F*CK was that a pain in the ass! I hope yours goes smoother... i fought that thing for a good 2 hours and that is what ultimately made me drop the damn kmember... which I should have done from the start....
Its really not a big deal.
Trace the kmember with a sharpie on the body of the car, that will help you get it very close to the original position, then get an allignment after the job is done and all will be juuuuust peachy :p

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Yea good luck taking double the time doing that, dropping the kmember and doing it takes 3 hours from start to finish.

yeah that.

It is faster and you don't have to take the k-member all the way off. We have left the tie rods connected and it just swings down. Use a marker and trace around the k-member so you can get it back in the same place

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Just ordered 1-3/4" Kooks longtubes w/ the catted x pipe recently :). I'm researching what it is going to take for the install on these.
I have been reading that people are noticing play in the steering wheel after unbolting and re-bolting the steering shaft? What is causing this and how can I avoid this? I have been referencing this video also for a "how to" on the install.

Thanks,

People have play in the steering wheel because they reinstall the bolts on the shaft the wrong way. The 2 bolts are supposed to go opposite of each other...ask me how I know lol

+1 with the K member...again...ask me how I know lol. I've done a few installs and have done it both ways. You don't have to DROP the k-member though. Just unbolt the 8 (I think) bolts and let it hang off the suspension.

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I didn't take my K-Member off and the install went well.(not saying I wouldn't drop the K-member, but jus giving a different experience) The ONLY delay was like Nuar said, the ground strap............OH..........MY..........GOD.:mj::mj: be prepared to replace the onion skin thin retainer when it cracks. LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread