Lunar Guages or Ultra Lite? Which looks better to the stock guages?

Which guages look better?

• Lunar

Votes: 304 71.4%
  • Ultra Lite

Votes: 70 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maoun

Established Member
IETZR1S is the one who installed mine...

mine's also hooked with the stock dimmer, all of mine are, but it's still nowhere near as nice as lunar

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
Originally posted by Sluggy Snake
Snkbyte,

Any pics at night? Are you using the bulb covers included?

94SVT,
Any directions on how to do this or what kinda rheostat you used?
So using that with the dimmer up all the way burns them out or dimming them too low? :shrug:

Nope sorry no pics at night, but you can barely tell the differnce between stock. And during the day the match perfect.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

The stock wiring is like 20 guage (or worse). I would suggest running them off of seperate circuits if running more than 2 guages. I have 6 Lunars, and I'm running them off of 2 seperate circuits, each using 10 guage wire. I was that concerned about the fire hazard. The downside is that you cannot control the lighting with the dimmer using a seperate circuit.

Just a FYI.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How do you wire in a seperate dimmer to bring the level of the Lunars lower than the stockers?

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Go for the Lunar. Want things to look right for you 34t dollar car. Go for the best. :D BUt would like to see both set ups though. Never heard of Ultra Lite.

Sluggy Snake

Established Member
Networking Guru, any pics or more detail on your setup?

How can you dim Lunar guages seperately?

BBriBro

Established Member
I really like my ultra-lites, Unfortunately the Lunars aren't available in as many styles as the others, so I really had no choice for what I wanted, CLICK HERE for plenty of pics.

EDIT: CLICK HERE for info on the LED bulbs, rather than standard green incandescent bulbs.

Last edited:

Sluggy Snake

Established Member
BBriBro,

You said in your thread that the 4LED bulbs did not match the stock cluster because they were to green?

Have you found any better solutions since then?

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Sluggy Snake
BBriBro,

You said in your thread that the 4LED bulbs did not match the stock cluster because they were to green?

Have you found any better solutions since then?
I just re-read my posts, and I'm not sure what your referring to. The 4 and 6 LED clusters are the same color, the 6 is just slightly brighter, those are the ones I chose. The single was just too dim, as well as the green bulbs from autozone, and the green covers from autometer are not even green, (when compared to the LEDs) I simply ordered "green" LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com I didn't get too anal with the actual "color tempurature" of the light, (wavelength) or whatver they call it. I'm sure there are some out there, that are more blue green, and would look just like the Lunars and match even closer, but I am pretty happy with these, and they weren't very expensive. Some other places to try, for those that wan't to continue my experimenting are LEDTRONICS and AUTOLUMINATION

I really would like some LED taillights, but not sure which to get, I'm afraid the directional nature of LEDs might make them actually seem dimmer, since the light wouldn't be directed towards the reflectors in the taillight housing.

Sluggy Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
I just re-read my posts, and I'm not sure what your referring to. The 4 and 6 LED clusters are the same color, the 6 is just slightly brighter, those are the ones I chose.....snip

It was mention in one of the replies on your "LED guage lights" thread:

Originally posted by BBriBro
Well I've been hesitant to post this night shot for two reasons; 1st of all, I can't really get a great shot, my camera just really sucks in low light, even on a tripod, and 2nd, the LEDs just don't match the stock lighting, they are too green. The gauges look awesome during the day, (ultra lites) but at night, even with the correct color, the side lit style just leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they were back lit, or they made the Lunars in more types of gauges. The LEDs I bought are 521.8 nm, I wonder what "color" I would need to get more blueish, and maybe match the stock cluster better, the LUNARs seem actually too blue, and mine are too green.

Just trying to get everything straight so I can get my guages up and runnin :D

BBriBro

Established Member
Ahh yes, can't argue with that quote !! I haven't done anymore research, I am happy with mine. The color is not exact, but it's close, the LEDs in the gauges are actually a very nice bright green, just the color you think of when someone says "green", the factory cluster is a little more bluish, more like indiglo watches, than a typical green. Just to clarify though, all the LEDs I tried, were the same "color" or wavelength I guess is what they call it, the only differences were they number of LEDs and their light output, I couldn't find any different shades of green, I know they exist, Some brands of LEDs might be more greenish, some more bluish, even though they are all called "green" But since I don't know the specs on the factory lighting, I don't know which way to go if I were to try a different "color" But to be honest, the color is close enough, the only "issue" I have is that the side lit gauges just don't project much light at the center of the face, That was a problem even with the factory autometer bulbs, it's just not as good as backlit gauges, which are much more evenly lit. With the ultra lites, you get a bright "ring" of light around the edge, but the center is kinda dark, But they still look good though :)

venomus 03

Established Member
I have ultra lites and they look awsome. At night and during the day. I did not like the red lettering on the lunars.

jeffsvt

Established Member
Here is a picture of my Lunar gauges if it helps you any .

gauges.jpg

florida03

Banned
Thats my set up. I was given a choice of the Ultras
and Lunars. I feel I made the right choice, and they look
great at night.

wculver

600hp is not enough!
Established Member
With the Terminator, go with the Lunar. The green compliments the factory guages. The Ultra light blue color is cool but it contrasts too much for my tastes. Unless you have a Sonic Blue color (especially in a convertible) is the only exception I would consider. Of course for 05, there wil be an option to change the color of the gauges! Won't that be cool.

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
Ultra Lite here...outside matches top of the shifter..actually guage matches the guages...and is the same brightness as the stock guages...and lighter and less prone to break

WDW MKR

Established Member
Not sure why most pay more attention to the color of the lights than the color of the actual guage. The silver Ultra-Lites match the factory gauges, perfectly! The green backlighting is just a matter of changing the bulb.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I went with silver faced custom gauges from Speedhut.com. They have two color option, blue or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread