cbj5259

Established Member
Edit...Wrong A8...nevermind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
love the 8 speed in my rs7 and charger hellcat. its basically the same trans but feels way different in each car. get the auto. I snagged a '16 with 3k miles on it last year for $55k.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I can't speak to the Hellcat M6 vs A8 But I can say I am looking at leasing one and want the M6. I bought a 2012 GT with an M6 and loved it. I talked myself into an A6 in my 2014 GT because the usual "It's faster", 90% of the time it is more convenient", etc. I hate it. I put a blower on it hoping it would make it more "fun", it didn't. It just made it more fast.

The only reason I'm contemplating getting rid of it is the automatic. I even looked for 2013-2014 M6 to transfer over everything but then there's that whole MT-82 @ my 6xx+ rwhp thing. I even looked at the GT350 but for the same money as the HC, IMO there is no comparison in looks or performance. I just want something fun to drive. The only automatic I ever drove that was semi fun was Porsche's PDK.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I can't speak to the Hellcat M6 vs A8 But I can say I am looking at leasing one and want the M6. I bought a 2012 GT with an M6 and loved it. I talked myself into an A6 in my 2014 GT because the usual "It's faster", 90% of the time it is more convenient", etc. I hate it. I put a blower on it hoping it would make it more "fun", it didn't. It just made it more fast.

The only reason I'm contemplating getting rid of it is the automatic. I even looked for 2013-2014 M6 to transfer over everything but then there's that whole MT-82 @ my 6xx+ rwhp thing. I even looked at the GT350 but for the same money as the HC, IMO there is no comparison in looks or performance. I just want something fun to drive. The only automatic I ever drove that was semi fun was Porsche's PDK.
Sounds like you need a GT500 or a Cobra lol

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Be very cautious. Most car companies have a 3rd party inspect the car prior to lease return. They are BRUTAL and usually cant over rule their determination.
YOU pay for any damage beyond the wear and tear agreement you choose.
Caveat Emptor.

I understand the damages part. My Ex leased a car and my father has leased several, however I've never heard of them whipping out a paint gauge to measure depth.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Find a used one in the low 40's and buy it.
At 42k and 72 months you'll own it outright

And what happens when that abused first year Hellcat becomes a total money pit as the blower, trans and engine all go out? I'm basically $35k into my Cobra that I'll be lucky to unload for $18k.

Any major issue on a used HC basically means you could have bought a brand new one and had Dodge fix it for free.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
It depends on you. If you are the type where you don't think an automatic will suite you then go manual.

I just couldn't do an automatic regardless how much faster it is, I rock a manual in my M3 & in my Viper.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Go for the A8. I have a 2015 Hellcat A8. The A8 is a blast to drive. I drove stick for 20 years i don't miss it at all.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
600 a month, plus insurance, plus fuel seems outrageous and doesnt make financial sense to me. Or perhaps i just dont make enough money to understand how this is a good thing for you.
Cobra = maintenance since acquisition is pushing over $10k in 2 years.
That seems high. But if you bought an old cobra, i could see that happening. I assume the cobra is paid off. If it is not and you are paying 5k a year to keep it going, that was a bad decision to start off with. But i am an outsider judging you which is not respectful on my part.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Your math is sound and i did the same thing when i leased my Charger R/T and Ford 150. I do regret leasing my truck because my intended use for the truck has changed..ie hauling and now i wish i could get out of my lease. One of the biggest problems with leasing is you are struck with the payments and in your case $600 worth. You are committed to $21,000 in payments. S*** happens employement, bills,angry wife wants a bigger house or kids....etc..

Cobra is a money sucking pit of despair.

36 months x $600 = $21,000

Cobra = maintenance since acquisition is pushing over $10k in 2 years.

You can't rent a pick-up to do pick-up stuff. Just say'n

At the end of the lease you walk away no shit given in regards to paint nicks, having been driving in snow and salt so forth. Full warranty.

Buy out is ~$42k - so really, what are you losing? The car is ~$70k, $70k-21k = $48k, seems like FCA is taking a $6k bath. 2015's are still in the $45-50k range, so $42k is a deal on a used Hellcat. Buying out the lease in 3 years would be no different then buying any 3 year old Hellcat, well except you know the history and condition and can buy an extended warranty.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
That seems high. But if you bought an old cobra, i could see that happening. I assume the cobra is paid off. If it is not and you are paying 5k a year to keep it going, that was a bad decision to start off with. But i am an outsider judging you which is not respectful on my part.

That is $10,000 in broken garbage. I'm basically coming to the conclusion there is now way to have a fun/performance car and not have it cost you $500 a month. Either in payment, parts, mods or repairs.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Your math is sound and i did the same thing when i leased my Charger R/T and Ford 150. I do regret leasing my truck because my intended use for the truck has changed..ie hauling and now i wish i could get out of my lease. One of the biggest problems with leasing is you are struck with the payments and in your case $600 worth. You are committed to $21,000 in payments. S*** happens employement, bills,angry wife wants a bigger house or kids....etc..

Oh yeah, I could never lease a truck, I'd destroy it as that is what they are met for.

But I also hear you on the lease issue. FCA doesn't let you sell your lease, so you are on the hook, where payment based you can always take a bath or something to get out of it.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I am buying a Hellcat with a manual because I find it more fun and engaging. I bought my 2015 GT with a stick because it would be more fun when I track it at the road course. I don't plan on drag racing the hellcat so the performance times delta doesn't really matter to me.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not when you have to give it back after lease term and you have nothing to show for after all those payments.

But, its OPs money and its his decision. Unless its like $99 bucks a month, Ill never lease another vehicle based on my experience.

Zemedici

Established Member
Not when you have to give it back after lease term and you have nothing to show for after all those payments.

But, its OPs money and its his decision. Unless its like $99 bucks a month, Ill never lease another vehicle based on my experience.

I view it as an extended rental. And you can always buy after lease term ends.

However, you still get to drive a $70,000 vehicle for 3 years, for $600 a month. Something you CANNOT do while buying.

I dont keep cars longer than 2-3 years anyway. And people mod leased vehicles all the time. :D

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I just got a lease quote $540/mo 36 months $5000 down 10k miles a year including taxes and tags for a $70k car. Very very tempted.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
That is $10,000 in broken garbage.
What went wrong? I blew my L motor in 14 months. That was a 12k bill.
Driving a $70,000+ vehicle for ~$600 a month doesn't financial make sense to you?
When you can get a civic for 20k nearly brand new, no! Again, my personal income may be the problem here. I see all too often someone driving a nice car or truck, pulling a nice new boat etc. The bank owns it all. I hate car notes. But i'm in the oil field and it isnt steady.

Users who are viewing this thread