Mac or Magnaflow Catback?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
IMO magnaflow will make better power and is definately better quality, but Mac sounds better.

I vote magnaflow.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I used Mac products on my GT (CAI, Exhaust, Short throw etc). I'd never use it on this car, never again for a matter of fact because their parts have no quality.....NONE of them! There are so much more "better" companies out there to choose from.

Nightmare

had magnaflows on my GT..sounded awesome but i havent heard it on a cobra. I havent heard many good things about the quality of MAC products.

KOOY

Established Member
Originally posted by I-CAN-STANG
it's widely known!

So, which CB has the same type of sound but a better quality? I personally don't like the bubble sound but don't want to mod the exhaust system except the Catback... Anyone with any suggestions?? :bowdown: :bowdown:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
all i can tell you about first hand is the magnaflows. i have a set on my cobra and on the wifes gt. they fit great, the quality of materials is excellent and i like the sound. loud at wot, mild at crusing, and no drone. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another set of them.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Magnaflow all the way. Excellent quality, everything aligned perfectly. :thumbsup: I did the install in my garage, took about 1 hour.

Black01Stang

Established Member
Looks like I'll be going with the Magnaflow setup then. I'll probobly order them during lunch today or something. Thanks for the replies everyone!

2003 Silver

Banned
Originally posted by RandyWick
The only problem I have with the Magnaflow are the tips look ridiculous. Are they changed easily or are they part of the pipes? They don't have enough slash to them in my opinion

I have Magnaflows on my '03 and replaced the tips with MRT 3.5 chrome rolled edge tips........they look great and are adjustable just like the stock ones.

Magnaflows produce more power than MAC...........

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by RandyWick
The only problem I have with the Magnaflow are the tips look ridiculous...They don't have enough slash to them...
I didn't like that about the Magnaflow tips, either. They don't have enough of an angle cut into them. Another board member said he corrected this by cutting the tips with a chop saw before he installed them. He said it turned out great. I wish I could remember the angle he said he had used. You can probably figure it out by looking at the stock tips.

You can always upgrade the tips, but then you'll be into some welding and potential additional expense.

-Greg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Why do people put 2.5" exhausts on 500+ HP potential cars? It doesn't make sense to me. That's a restriction if I ever heard of one if you plan to pulley it.

Buy a 3" or larger and be done with it. I went with a 3" Dynomax. Fit, quality, and sound are perfect.

2003 Silver

Banned
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
I didn't like that about the Magnaflow tips, either. They don't have enough of an angle cut into them. Another board member said he corrected this by cutting the tips with a chop saw before he installed them. He said it turned out great. I wish I could remember the angle he said he had used. You can probably figure it out by looking at the stock tips.

You can always upgrade the tips, but then you'll be into some welding and potential additional expense.

-Greg

The MRT tips have the same angle as the Cobra stock tips.....Magnaflows' angle on their tips doesn't look right. You don't need to weld the tips........they bolt on and you can adjust how far out you want the tips to extend. Really easy........

Fran

Established Member
I have narrowed my search down to the Magnaflows, but I do not know if I want the catted X or catted H. Does anyone know where a clip is with the H? I have heard the X from the SVTOA Atlanta folks in their killer videos and it sounds good but finding the H clip on a 4v S/C Cobra has been next to impossible.

Thanks

2003 Silver

Banned
Are you talking about an aftermarket catted h (four cats down to two)....if so, check with MRT as they make a catted h pipe. Otherwise, the Magnaflow website has soundclips..........

Fran

Established Member
The magnaflow page has the clip with the catted X which does sound good. As for the H I looked on MRT and could not find one. Most of the people here have the X or stock H but do not have any clips. I am considering going with the stock or 2 cat MRT if it sounds good.

Thanks

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I also purchased a pair of MRT ss chromed 3 1/2" tips, replacing the stock Magnaflows. They are expensive, but look the balls. :D

Users who are viewing this thread