• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Mach 1 Vortech Belt Issue

Discussion in 'The Blower Bistro' started by JGDogg10, Nov 24, 2018.

1. JGDogg10

JGDogg10 New Member

Hey guys,
    I’ve looked everywhere and read pretty much all the posts with belt shredding issues, but the belt on my Mach 1 keeps shredding off the inner rib. I had two shops work on it and both said the pulleys were aligned correctly but it kept shredding it. I finally got a laser alignment tool and all of the pulleys are dead on. The car has a 15% crank, a 3.15 vortech pulley, a thump racing single bolt tensioner and has been converted over to an 8 rib system. One mechanic said the tensioner could be putting too much pressure on the belt and causing things to strain...I just don’t know where to start and wanted to see if anyone else had any issues with the thump tensioner or where I should even start to look for the next problem area. Will a stock single bolt tensioner work with the 8 rib belt?

Belt size is a 112.4” as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Brutal Metal

Brutal Metal Well-Known Member Established Member

Does the belt have any play at all when the car is off? Check to see that your idler pulley spins free with the belt off.

3. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

the pressure of the thump isnt the problem.

Hows the belt riding on the water pump pulley and what did you do with the water pump to accomodate the 8 rib?
    I tried using the spacer from the GI Joe kit and never could center the damned thing. I had the outer lip machined off the front of the water pump pulley (radiator side) and that lip cut a rib off my belt.

Also with the Thump Tensioner take it off and look very very closely at the pulley while spinning it - Ive seen several of them that wobble, maybe its walking the belt a little?

4. JGDogg10

JGDogg10 New Member

I just followed the instructions from the GI Joe kit for the water pump pulley. Seemed centered and runs straight. My belt is ripping the ribs closest to the block side and if anything it almost looks like the water pump pulley is spaced out further than needed. Did you guys have any play at all in the ribbed idler pulley on the passenger side? With bolt tightened it still has some movement to it. I can’t remember if that was a pulley specific to the 8 rib kit or what can I replace it with? I took pics but they are all too big so I’ll try to resize them and post them up

5. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I dont recall any play but not sure I really checked either. I don't think I can really judge it until I take the belt off the tensioner again. it should be an 8 rib specific to the kit. Maybe theres a spacer mix up not taking up all the space and allowing it to move? That movement could be walking the belt and eating the rib - I would investigate that further