mach 1 vs 03 04 cobra

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
svtcobrar2004 said:
sommeebooddyy is jeaaallouuusss

your kidding right? just look at his sig. he has three new cars, its very obvious that he could have purchased an 03 mustang svt at any time. he chose the better car for a reason, then threw a blower on it. and guess what, its faster than most of the svt mustangs on the road today!

Venomhiss

Established Member
Let me give it to you from yet another light......where i street race theres a white mach 1 thats prochargered and people think its pretty fast but its also on stock long block and no one really pays much attention to it....Ive been told to my face flat out that people hate my cobra, when i asked them why they said "because you make in 1000 dollars worth of mods what i might make with 3000 in mods....that, and when you see a cobra theres no ****ing around, you know you really might be ****ing with the wrong guy. No boost lag or any magic tricks to wait for power, you have it the second your foot goes down." That right there made me glad i didnt get a mach for a lil cheaper.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
I had a Mach and loved it... thought the power was great, launched awesome, wanted more after awhile and did the usual bolt ons, then wanted more power, planned and purchased all the parts to make an Eaton blown Mach. Before dumping the money into an install, I started wondering if the stock internals could handle future boost upgrades... answer: not with out a built block. So, I sold the Mach and all the parts. I bought the Terminator and didnt look back.
Yes the Terminator costs more in Insurance.

They are both great cars.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Venomhiss said:
Let me give it to you from yet another light......where i street race theres a white mach 1 thats prochargered and people think its pretty fast but its also on stock long block and no one really pays much attention to it....Ive been told to my face flat out that people hate my cobra, when i asked them why they said "because you make in 1000 dollars worth of mods what i might make with 3000 in mods....that, and when you see a cobra theres no ****ing around, you know you really might be ****ing with the wrong guy. No boost lag or any magic tricks to wait for power, you have it the second your foot goes down." That right there made me glad i didnt get a mach for a lil cheaper.

UM...less boost in Mach = same power in Cobra.....Under dog rated, sold rear, better tranny gears........what am I missing? If you think there is that much lag in a procharger or vortech..you are speaking with lack of experience. I know..cause I used to think the same thing. USED to think.

BTW - I have owned BOTH at the same time...I ahve first hand comparitive experience.....not street racing cred experience.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
UM...less boost in Mach = same power in Cobra.....Under dog rated, sold rear, better tranny gears........what am I missing? If you think there is that much lag in a procharger or vortech..you are speaking with lack of experience. I know..cause I used to think the same thing. USED to think.

BTW - I have owned BOTH at the same time...I ahve first hand comparitive experience.....not street racing cred experience.

I don't know man...I love my Mach but I've also owned both at the same time. The Mach is a great car but the Cobra is in a world of it's own. It's superior to the Mach in every way IMHO. Some say the IRS is the Cobra's drawback, I disagree- I think it is a strength. Both are mod friendly- but to get to 500 RWHP it'll cost 5 times more (or higher) for the Mach. Honestly my insurance for the Cobra was $2.37 more a month than the Mach so that was a non-issue for me. I can't wait to get another Cobra (03/04).

If you can only own one go with the Cobra- you won't be sorry.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
I don't know man...I love my Mach but I've also owned both at the same time. The Mach is a great car but the Cobra is in a world of it's own. It's superior to the Mach in every way IMHO. Some say the IRS is the Cobra's drawback, I disagree- I think it is a strength. Both are mod friendly- but to get to 500 RWHP it'll cost 5 times more (or higher) for the Mach. Honestly my insurance for the Cobra was $2.37 more a month than the Mach so that was a non-issue for me. I can't wait to get another Cobra (03/04).

If you can only own one go with the Cobra- you won't be sorry.

Don't misunderstand me. My point was not that the mach is better. As for which car is better.....it truly is a personal preference. IE: what the potential buyer is looking for the most. See my post #26 at top of page.

My post was in regards to the 'street namesake' that he posted. So people on the streets know what a cobra is...great...machs have higher CR so for the same boost they make more power. Lower boost, they make the same power. Does the cobra have a better platform for modding....(FI)...of course. But street cred for the cobra is not a justifiable reason for choosing it over the mach. And I gave my reasoning as to why it isn't.:beer:

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Don't misunderstand me. My point was not that the mach is better. As for which car is better.....it truly is a personal preference. IE: what the potential buyer is looking for the most. See my post #26 at top of page.

My post was in regards to the 'street namesake' that he posted. So people on the streets know what a cobra is...great...machs have higher CR so for the same boost they make more power. Lower boost, they make the same power. Does the cobra have a better platform for modding....(FI)...of course. But street cred for the cobra is not a justifiable reason for choosing it over the mach. And I gave my reasoning as to why it isn't.:beer:

The one thing I do like about the Mach is that a lot of people totally under estimate the car.....until afterwards and they're trying to figure out what happened.

The Cobra- I think a lot of people tried me simply because they wanted to see it fly, not because they actually thought they would win.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
i have an 04 cobra and an 04 mach. im definitely more satisfied with my mach. i have had alot of what people say "normal problems" with my cobra such as: leaking rear end, squeaky breaks, wheel hop, etc. maybe i jus have a lemon but i was certainly not happy with the purchase. i paid 31,500 + taxes and fees for an 04 with 12K miles. i love my mach and its a more solid car id buy the mach over the cobra if i did it again.

radaman

Established Member
blackice said:
iam going to buy one whicj is the alll around better deal
I would buy the cobra PERIOD. Its a better built car and you can pick up a modded one for 25-30K and thats with an upgraded blower/turbo. Honestly, pick up a cobra and take it to a reputable shop and have it checked out (suspension and mechanical) before buying it. Mach's are a great car and with 3K in bolt on's (gears, full exhaust, suspension tweaks, induction tweaks)can run 12.0's or high 11's, just be careful when boosting them since their internals are weaker. Its all in how far u plan on going.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Machs are fun, Cobras are fast.

I have owned both cars, and speaking from a moderately modded point of view... as I didn't keep either stock long enough to tell you;

The Mach's strongest point is the first 1/8 mile. The Mach is light in the front end due to its aluminum block and heads, a suspension that was perfect for launching and a steeper 1st and 2nd gear. On drag radials it was the easier of the two to launch without a doubt, it would squat down, nose up and just leap forward. For as much power as it had, 1st and 2nd gear were full quick and it would tear into 3rd before it started to die down and show its lower power numbers relative to the Cobra.
The Cobra on the flip side can be a handful, it does infact feel a little heavier, but seems well balanced in spite. As a strong point, it has alot of torque from its roots style blower (400ft lbs at 2500rpms) that seems to nose it up almost as well as the Mach, and squat the rear end. The IRS can be a pain here where it likes to hop, but in the event you actually learn to hook it up correctly... which takes more finesse than the Mach, you will cut off the line respectably. In the event that you start to hop, the launch is pretty much botched as it will keep hopping the more power you throw at it, so you have to back off to regain control. The few times I hopped in the Mach I was able to drive it off in a split second, not the case with the Cobra.
Through 1st, the Cobra is a handful, far more than the Mach. The Mach will stay pretty stable WOT, the Cobra will blister the tires and possibly start to hop, so WOT is not possible. Under partial it comes off smooth and full of power, putting a suprising amount of power down with without all the extra slip a side effect of the independant rear suspension. Into second the Mach is again stable, will stay relatively straight and continues to run hard, where as the Cobra can be very wild on a power shift and even dangerous. Again, the Cobra requires partial throttle, it will start to spin through second at full throttle, but rarely hops, you can drive through the spin hear but your better off to just stay a hair off the throttle. The Cobra's gonna show the Mach its power here as it starts to put down its power and will edge the Mach out and retake and fractions it lost in 1st.
Third gear will mark the end for the Mach as the Cobra puts the pedal down and give the Mach an earfull of blower whine. The Mach is a strong launching car with a good powerband, but there is no way a moderately modded Mach will run with the Cobra here. Gearing, weight, launch... its lost every advantage and is going to get eaten up. The Cobra solidly outperforms here s its IRS will reliably put power down better and lots more of it, try about 220rwhp more. The Cobra is going to run away, and there is no arguing it. I can tell you 3rd scared and suprised me when I went from the Mach to the Cobra. Its a world of difference.
The Cobra digs almost as well as the Mach, but handles the road better after the dig. It outpowers the Mach easily mod for mod, and laughs in the face of a few extra pounds as it makes a broad power and torque band from its forced fed motor.

As far as handling, the Mach doesn't have a leg to stand on. I've driven both on the same roads to and from work daily, and I can tell you the Cobra handles every corner, ramp and bump better than the Mach. It could do it faster, more stable and more comfortable. The Mach would break a sweat as it shuddered around a particular ramp at 50, while the Cobra will swing through that same ramp at 60 like Tarzan on a vine. The IRS may be a hinderance from a dig, but it pays for itself in the corners, I don't care how many nay-sayers say otherwise, I have felt the difference. I have a solid swap on hand... I refuse to use it.
Quality on the Cobra is somewhat improved, if you care about real leather over pleather... thats about it. Better shifts boots and steering wheel.
Oh... and a hand built engine if anyone cares...

As far as working components though, for obvious reasons the Cobra received more; Stronger clutch, tranny, axles, forged bottom end, aluminum driveshaft, hardened yokes, stronger suspension components... theres more Same brakes though!
And last but not least, for Coletti's baby; A built short block!
This is the biggest selling point of the Cobra, the thing can handle some power. When the Mach is hitting 450-500rwhp and starting to worry about holding together, the Cobra will be doing the same at 650-700, conservatively. There are 800+ RWHP stock long blocks out there.

With all that said, the Cobra truely is more car, by deffinition. It has more money put into it, its built stronger and slightly better, handles better and is more stable. It outperforms the Mach in all categories save a questionable and mild at best defeat at the 60ft mark.

As a matter of preference, it depends on what your looking for;

For the street, the Mach is a blast to drive and looks cool. The shaker is entrancing and the whole car is just an attention whore.
It will tear up a street light, and makes enough power for the street without a doubt.
I always envied the Cobra's power numbers, but now having one I realize that for street use, the Mach had all it needed.
Your not going to win a pissing contest with most sports cars when it comes to numbers, but you may just kick them in the nuts when it comes to actual performance. If there is such a thing as safely breaking traffic laws, the Mach falls just within those boundaries. It has enough to give you all the fun you could want while still keeping things reasonable. Where it starts to lose steam is just fine... you shouldn't be doing 100+ on a public street anyway, not that I have done that and more, but I recognize the idiocy.
The Mach is the fun and cool car, its a toy for big boys.

The Cobra is a little extra, and alot more lethal. As much fun as I had cutting lights in the Mach, I now have running WOT on the highway or cutting through a corner. It has a sporty feel and loves to be opened up. The sound of the supercharger is as additive as the shaker on the Mach... but can get you in alot more trouble as you actually have to open it up to enjoy it.
The Cobra actually brings me more attention than the Mach... but its also a brighter color and people mostly seem to like that its a "Cobra".
As I said with the Mach, there is a safe and sane level of power for street use. The Cobra exceeds it.
I can't open up 1st or 2nd for fear of that little chance it will break all the way loose, and if you do open it up beyond 2nd gear triple digits are on you before you even have a chance to check your speedometer.
This might sound like fun, and it is... but there are downsides.
I've learned there is such thing as common sense, and as much fun as this is, it doesn't fare well with self preservation or the law. This road can end badly in more than one or two ways. Rip a light, you might get in trouble and a ticket, rip down the highway blowing off a Vette at 140mph, you might end up sitting on the bench waiting for the bus, or laying on a slab in a morgue... or bent over grabbing the toilet while Bubba rapes you.

Track use is a different animal. I'm not gonna touch it here.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
radaman said:
I would buy the cobra PERIOD. Its a better built car and you can pick up a modded one for 25-30K and thats with an upgraded blower/turbo. Honestly, pick up a cobra and take it to a reputable shop and have it checked out (suspension and mechanical) before buying it. Mach's are a great car and with 3K in bolt on's (gears, full exhaust, suspension tweaks, induction tweaks)can run 12.0's or high 11's, just be careful when boosting them since their internals are weaker. Its all in how far u plan on going.

HOw can you say which is better, when you haven't owned a cobra? Dont' mean to sound like a jerk, but there are THREE people in here that have owned both cars....at the same time.

AS I SAID.....it comes down to the individual's desires of/for the car.

radaman

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
HOw can you say which is better, when you haven't owned a cobra? Dont' mean to sound like a jerk, but there are THREE people in here that have owned both cars....at the same time.

AS I SAID.....it comes down to the individual's desires of/for the car.
Though I havent owned a 03-04 cobra, I know enuf about them both to post that comment. I have over 30 friends that have cobras, machs, regular gts and so forth and not one mach owner didnt wish he had a cobra. They all realize that the mach is a well built and reasonably fast car, but its not a cobra. Ive driven them all and between a mach/cobra, the cobra feels much better and is faster stock...Swapping blowers on the cobra will be cheaper than a built small block/blower combo in a mach anyday as well. I dont think you sound like a jerk either, you are just posting what you know and have read. Take care.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
radaman said:
Though I havent owned a 03-04 cobra, I know enuf about them both to post that comment. I have over 30 friends that have cobras, machs, regular gts and so forth and not one mach owner didnt wish he had a cobra. They all realize that the mach is a well built and reasonably fast car, but its not a cobra. Ive driven them all and between a mach/cobra, the cobra feels much better and is faster stock...Swapping blowers on the cobra will be cheaper than a built small block/blower combo in a mach anyday as well. I dont think you sound like a jerk either, you are just posting what you know and have read. Take care.

What island are you on?

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
i own both and if you wanna get quick cheap hp a cobra is the way to go but imo the mach is a better car.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
i own both and if you wanna get quick cheap hp a cobra is the way to go but imo the mach is a better car.

radaman

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
What island are you on?
Oahu, I live on k-bay drive and go to KMCBH to work outat the satellite gym weekly. Ive passed a couple of 03-04 cobras on base as well and maybe Ill run into you one day.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread