mach 1 vs 03 04 cobra

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm going to leave peak numbers and whittled down tenths off the 1/4 out of the equation, since anything can be made as fast as you want. What I enjoy about my Cobra is the big block torque feel at partial throttle/low rpms when just cruising around the streets. Maybe I have displacement envy with being stuck with these 4.6L motors we've had for so long, but I love the power without having to wind the motor up. I'm driving around with over 400lbs of tq at the wheels at 2000rpms, and that's the kind of fun I'm looking for.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Lethalchem said:
I'm going to leave peak numbers and whittled down tenths off the 1/4 out of the equation, since anything can be made as fast as you want. What I enjoy about my Cobra is the big block torque feel at partial throttle/low rpms when just cruising around the streets. Maybe I have displacement envy with being stuck with these 4.6L motors we've had for so long, but I love the power without having to wind the motor up. I'm driving around with over 400lbs of tq at the wheels at 2000rpms, and that's the kind of fun I'm looking for.
400+lbs is not stock though. :lol: - sorry, I just had too. Seriously though, the mach has nice low end TQ, paired with the solid rear and 3.36 1st gear in the 3650...that makes for a very nice around the town feel. I see what you mean, but the mach has that grunt too.

radaman

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Those mods will get you in the right direction but to get 11.5's you'll probably have to lose some weight too: K-member, rear-seat delete....but it'll definitely be stout. Damn they need to open a track soon. I don't want to have to take the ferry everytime I want to get some track time.
Definitely gotta trim down a bit...k-member, drag tires/rims, RSD and all the other little tricks. I plan on having a race weight of 3100-3200lbs when Im done. Also,I wouldnt mind going to the other islands to race. Would be nice to get a few mustang guys together and go...just a thought.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
radaman said:
Definitely gotta trim down a bit...k-member, drag tires/rims, RSD and all the other little tricks. I plan on having a race weight of 3100-3200lbs when Im done. Also,I wouldnt mind going to the other islands to race. Would be nice to get a few mustang guys together and go...just a thought.

We've been talking about a weekend club cruise when the Ferry comes online.

724COBRA

Established Member
i can't believe people like the looks of the Mach better than the Cobra. I think the Mach looks good, but i think the Cobra (along with the T/A) is one of the meanest looking cars on the road. Just my opinion

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
je99gt said:
i can't believe people like the looks of the Mach better than the Cobra. I think the Mach looks good, but i think the Cobra (along with the T/A) is one of the meanest looking cars on the road. Just my opinion

To me the Mach looks like a GT with a different hood.....IMHO the 03-04 Cobra looks 100X's better

radaman

Established Member
je99gt said:
As far as looks go, its a toss up with me. The cobra's look mean and is very clean, whereas the mach looks like a gt on steroids. Id be happy with either exterior pkg. IMHO.

swervo

Established Member
I took the best of both worlds for my mach. Got the clean lines with 03 cobra side skirts, spoiler and an 01 cobra bumper.

kbm450

Established Member
If you decide you want the Mach 1 I have one for sale! haha

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't buy the mach.... They don't hold value and both (cobra's-Mach1's) have the old body style....

I really thing the 6.0 GTO is better bang for the buck.. However value isn't very good with those either.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
kbm450 said:
If you decide you want the Mach 1 I have one for sale! haha

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't buy the mach.... They don't hold value and both (cobra's-Mach1's) have the old body style....

I really thing the 6.0 GTO is better bang for the buck.. However value isn't very good with those either.
Machs dont' hold value?...are you kidding me?....maybe in your neck of the woods...they are still going for $20+ around here. Cobras are only a few thousand more....and originally cost alot more than machs.

Locale matters though.

On the flip side.....here.....Goats are dirt cheap...new and used.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Aint' nothing but some bolt ons?...boy who are you kidding?..it takes smaller upper, ported blower, CAI, mid, catback, tune, and possibly lower pulley and/or LTs to get 500....that's Basically a FULL bolt on cobra with a stock blower....WhoTF are you kidding?

And AGAIN, this coming from someone that owned BOTH CARS.

Made 474 rwhp with a 2.76 upper, mac h, flowmaster cb, JLT cai, no name ported eaton(could be hurting?), and tune. With a Steig port, 6lb lower, and LT's I think I should be 520ish and those are bolt-ons. So WhoTF are you kidding on what a Cobra can do? Maybe you shouldn't have sold yours before doing some mods.

BTW I keep hearing how "rare" the mach is. From Mach 1 registry:

'03 Machs - 9652
'03 Cobra coupes 6600
'03 Cobra verts 4110

'04 Machs 5557
'04 Cobra coupes 3768
'04 Cobra verts?

Looks like there are far fewer 03/04 Cobra coupes rolling around than mach 1's. But let's not let HARD numbers confuse the point.

And BTW got them both, Cobra hands down is the superior car. The Cobra looks like a Cobra, the Mach like a GT with a fancy hood. Although I do like the shaker, the rest of the car screams Mustang GT including the cheap rear bumper cover. Funny how I see/hear alot of mach owners swapping to the cobra sides, front and rear bumper covers, but never hear the opposite? For those that bitch about the IRS, learn how to drive it. If you dump at high rpms you can break a halfshaft, but also break one of those hefty 28spline axles in the rear of a Mach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread