mach 1 vs 03 04 cobra

radaman

Established Member
Mach1Marauder said:
Oahu......dey got da kin killer pakalolo!!! ................'cause he sure has been smoking something!:rolling:
If you mean me, oahu, but Im no smoker, just posting what I believe to be true. 03/04 cobra's are better built than mach's. Mach's may look better/physically to some, including me, but cobra's are better built IMHO. I think the original post asked "which is a better deal"... I know a full bolt on mach will never compete with a full bolt on cobra. There is no way in heck you can make 500rwhp on a stock mach block for an extended period of time, whereas you can have a 650-800rwhp cobra all day long. Like I said earlier, its how far you are willing to take either one that should help a person decide. Any car can be made fast, but stock vs stock, a cobra is built better and is faster...PERIOD. I can drop 25-30K on a well built cobra or mach for that matter.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
radaman said:
Oahu, I live on k-bay drive and go to KMCBH to work outat the satellite gym weekly. Ive passed a couple of 03-04 cobras on base as well and maybe Ill run into you one day.:beer:

My Bn CP is right across the street from that gym. There used to be a ton of Terminators on this base (I had the white vert) but I don't see hardly any these days.

And I agree with you 100% on the Cobra- just a better car all the way around.

Also if you or Mach1marauder are interested in joining a Mustang Club on Oahu let me know. Bunch of pretty cool guys (and a few girls too) plus on island hookups for parts and services:thumbsup:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
lol, M1M join a club, hahaha he is the GENERAL, lol, its funny to see everyone fight about what is better, all i can say is, if oyu find a cobra for sale, you can bet that the miles that have been put on it were HARD MILES> lol,
most of the mach1 guys try to save there cars cause someday, there going to be worth some serious money. so the better deal is a car that is going to last you. not saying there all beat to crap, just that is what people mostly do with them to live up the name of cobra.

"but to get to 500 RWHP it'll cost 5 times more (or higher) for the Mach."

who ever wrote that needs to get out more, or just go to the mach1 regristry.

sorry guys, but im with the mach1.

why not just get a lightning, then your going to have the power, and something to pull a boat, 4 wheeler, and still kick the a55 off of other trucks that cost up words of 50k. just my 2 cents.
oh and by the way, stock to stock, my mach is faster than my lighting if you wondering.

radaman

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
My Bn CP is right across the street from that gym. There used to be a ton of Terminators on this base (I had the white vert) but I don't see hardly any these days.

And I agree with you 100% on the Cobra- just a better car all the way around.

Also if you or Mach1marauder are interested in joining a Mustang Club on Oahu let me know. Bunch of pretty cool guys (and a few girls too) plus on island hookups for parts and services:thumbsup:
Well, if you ever see a white mach 1 parked there, Im working out in the gym...a big black guy, hahaha.

er22bball0302

Established Member
Neutrinodl18 said:
No disrespect but wtf with the solid rear being better than the irs???? If you wanted the solid rear its a 998 dollar mod. drive the irs and then you will never wanna go back. I have driven lots of solid rears and to say the solid is a plus is a little ridiculous. if you feel it is a drawback you can find cobras for sale with the solid rear already swapped. I love the looks of the mach and if I couldn't afford the cobra I would have gotten the mach no question.
+1 or trade your irs and get a solid + cash..

radaman

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Cool. I have seen you before. That's a sweet looking ride bro. Mine is 1 of 2 Red Mach's on base.

Here is the link- we're having a Stang party at the end of the month.

http://www.hawaiiperformancemustangs.com
Cool, I know a few guys on that site. I bought this car from "90spnotch"/john in dec 06', there are some cool guys there. He said his best times with this car was 13.3-13.4 at 108-109mph which is pretty good. I did throw on the DR's and a 3600 stall/stainless works LT's going in within a couple of weeks. Should be in the 12.3-12.5/110mph at that point.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
radaman said:
Cool, I know a few guys on that site. I bought this car from "90spnotch"/john in dec 06', there are some cool guys there. He said his best times with this car was 13.3-13.4 at 108-109mph which is pretty good. I did throw on the DR's and a 3600 stall/stainless works LT's going in within a couple of weeks. Should be in the 12.3-12.5/110mph at that point.

Damn....sounds like you got a pretty good runner on your hands. You got that thing dyno'd yet? We're doing another dyno day in Nov/Dec time frame. Probably 50 bucks for 2 pulls- which ain't bad for Oahu. Hopefully I'll see you around.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
2001SVTsnake said:
cobra ftmfw

500rwhp aint nuthin but some bolt on's

to get that in a mach you better have deep pockets

Aint' nothing but some bolt ons?...boy who are you kidding?..it takes smaller upper, ported blower, CAI, mid, catback, tune, and possibly lower pulley and/or LTs to get 500....that's Basically a FULL bolt on cobra with a stock blower....WhoTF are you kidding?

And AGAIN, this coming from someone that owned BOTH CARS.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Neutrinodl18 said:
No disrespect but wtf with the solid rear being better than the irs???? If you wanted the solid rear its a 998 dollar mod. drive the irs and then you will never wanna go back. I have driven lots of solid rears and to say the solid is a plus is a little ridiculous. if you feel it is a drawback you can find cobras for sale with the solid rear already swapped. I love the looks of the mach and if I couldn't afford the cobra I would have gotten the mach no question.

UM......like ANYTHING ELSE.....it depends on what the person wants. You aren't the only one that has owned IRS and Solid. Me?...I would rather take a lowered wide wheeled solid car (my mach) over my cobra. Why?...can it handle the corners as well?..of course not....but Good enough, AND it is better to launch with. My H and R springs with 285/35-18s on my mach handle almost as good as my cobra did (stock).

radaman

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Damn....sounds like you got a pretty good runner on your hands. You got that thing dyno'd yet? We're doing another dyno day in Nov/Dec time frame. Probably 50 bucks for 2 pulls- which ain't bad for Oahu. Hopefully I'll see you around.
Yeah, got it dyno tuned at "Naka's" when I bought it and it laid down 288rwhp/304 rwtq through the auto which is preety good per naka. Hoping the LTs and another tune will get me close to 300rwhp. Next year Im doing a FR500 head/cam/intake upgrade, then Im done...should be in the 11.5 or better range after Im done.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Aint' nothing but some bolt ons?...boy who are you kidding?..it takes smaller upper, ported blower, CAI, mid, catback, tune, and possibly lower pulley and/or LTs to get 500....that's Basically a FULL bolt on cobra with a stock blower....WhoTF are you kidding?

And AGAIN, this coming from someone that owned BOTH CARS.

+1, thats what i was wondering. hahaha oh well, some people just want to tell what they hear.

oh and i remember when i had my 04 tuned, it was to the sound of 460 hp, and that was 3k for p1sc, and 500.00 for an exhaust. so i would have to say that, to just HIT the 500 mark, you could do it no problem.

Last edited:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
and that is the differance in 6k?

you have to understand that the mach1 was ment to be all motor. the only reason the mach wasnt supercharged was because they would out sell the freaking cobra like a fire storm.

its funny how the cobra is all this, and all that. but did you know the GTO was a 400hp engine, NA. and with 600.00 its over 500 hp. wonder why you cobra guys dont just buy that if you want fast cars. all it would take is 125 shot. and a dyno to back it up. but thats besides the point.

i think that we just have cobra trolls hating on the mach1;s cause these cars are just as good.
if you want to compare cars, why not get a GT and go TT on it, and im usre you could do it cheaper than buying a new 03-04 cobra. so what now?

oh and i have never heard of " rebuilding a block" is that like melting it down and making another one but a little better? hahaha

i do have to say tho, the cobra bottom end is crazy, good. but remember , it came with a power adder, but take that power adder away and make it equl with the mach, and oh no, the mach will spank it just like the 01 cobras.
and if you dont think so, check out your local mustang mags. its all right in front of you cobra guys.

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
Its a pretty tough decision(atleast for me). Machs are getting into the high teens price wise, while Terminators are dipping into the low low 20's
Everyone keeps saying that but Im having a hard time finding a terminator for less then 25-26k w/ decent mileage and the mach's are usually 21-22 k.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
radaman said:
Yeah, got it dyno tuned at "Naka's" when I bought it and it laid down 288rwhp/304 rwtq through the auto which is preety good per naka. Hoping the LTs and another tune will get me close to 300rwhp. Next year Im doing a FR500 head/cam/intake upgrade, then Im done...should be in the 11.5 or better range after Im done.

Those mods will get you in the right direction but to get 11.5's you'll probably have to lose some weight too: K-member, rear-seat delete....but it'll definitely be stout. Damn they need to open a track soon. I don't want to have to take the ferry everytime I want to get some track time.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
StevesBuddyAntz said:
Everyone keeps saying that but Im having a hard time finding a terminator for less then 25-26k w/ decent mileage and the mach's are usually 21-22 k.

I've consistantly found Terminators in the high teens and low 20's on this board alone. Look around- they are out there.

Of course if you want to get the whippled, KB, TT or T Cobra with low miles you will pay big $. If you want the more rare ones ie: Comp Orange or Mystichrome you'll pay more.

LOOK
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401861
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402900

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
2001SVTsnake said:
my point was that you still need to buy the blower for the mach, then start goin full bolt on from there

lol
YOu do?....how's that? Maybe you are forgetting about the thing called COMPRESSION RATIO. Less boost on the mach with higher CR, = stock or lightly modded terminator.

Yes the internals won't last much past 450 RWHP (~510HP) we all know that. But we also know that once the modding starts it's all about the $$$$ out of pocket. Don't go ricer on us and use $$$ as a way out.

BTW - you can read my posts prior to see what I think of both cars.

Users who are viewing this thread