Mach 1 vs the LS1

03ZincRcode

Established Member
just wondering how you other mach 1 owners out there fair against the "almighty ls1"? since joining all these car websites, all i hear is how fast the ls1 is, and this and that. since i purchased my 03 mach 1 june of last year (2004) i've only raced 3 or 4 f-bodys, 1 being an auto. the others m6. 2 had exhaust i know. the only mod on my car is o/r h pipe. have not lost yet. in fact only one was actually even worth while. most people say ( oh they must have been a terrible driver, or some kinda excuse) give me a break. so how do you all do against them????

MachOneThis

Established Member
Ive never been beat by a N/A Fbody that I can think of, Im sure they are some out there but none near here lol.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Well, my near stock Lightning gets slowly pulled on, by my girls WS.6 M6, and its only got a lid, K&N drop in, and catback if that helps.

machone

NA power
Established Member
I can pull a bit on my buddies 00 ss with lid and catback as long as we go from a stop or slow roll. Ive also takin a c5 from a dig up to about 70. After that tho i see tail lights.

Angus

Established Member
03ZincRcode said:
just wondering how you other mach 1 owners out there fair against the "almighty ls1"? since joining all these car websites, all i hear is how fast the ls1 is, and this and that. since i purchased my 03 mach 1 june of last year (2004) i've only raced 3 or 4 f-bodys, 1 being an auto. the others m6. 2 had exhaust i know. the only mod on my car is o/r h pipe. have not lost yet. in fact only one was actually even worth while. most people say ( oh they must have been a terrible driver, or some kinda excuse) give me a break. so how do you all do against them????

Stock-for-stock, it should be a driver's race.

When the modding starts, all bets are off though.
LS1's have some nice bolt-ons available to them - heads/cams/long-tube headers/higher stall converter - that can really make them fly.

Mach's are no slouches either though if they're modded with the right parts - there are loads of low 12-second Mach's & a growing number of (no-power-adder) 11-second Mach' s too.

I haven't lost against very many at the track, either when I was stock or modded...

MACHSELF

Established Member
Angus said:
Stock-for-stock, it should be a driver's race.

When the modding starts, all bets are off though.
LS1's have some nice bolt-ons available to them - heads/cams/long-tube headers/higher stall converter - that can really make them fly.

Mach's are no slouches either though if they're modded with the right parts - there are loads of low 12-second Mach's & a growing number of (no-power-adder) 11-second Mach' s too.

I haven't lost against very many at the track, either when I was stock or modded...
Mach's now have Heads and cam packages available. FR500 Cams and port the stock heads, or go to FR500 heads. I am going to do the FR500 cams and port the stock heads and I would never lose even at this point to an LS1. I tangled with an LS-2 Vette already and had 2 "stoplight to stoplight" wins to 110mph. He rolled down his window after the 2nd win and asked " What kind've blower do you have?" I laughed and said "No blower". We pulled over and I showed him. He was astonished....Of course he didn't see the longtubes! :smmon:

Last edited:

AkronCobra

Established Member
03ZincRcode said:
Go drive a couple. They run.

2001stripper

Established Member
Here we go again....just kiddin'. I made a similar post in the kill section and got flamed.
Stock vs. stock, IMO the 01-02 LS1's are faster, not out of the whole, but on the top end they will beat a Mach 1. 98-00 models are pretty even with a slight edge going to the Mach. 01-02 LS1's typically make 315-325 to the rear wheels which is more than the Mach makes to the engine. LS1's also make more torque. These are facts, not a bias opinion. Now when the modding begins, all bets are off.

Last edited:

Keith.red.mach1

Established Member
I have done quite well against LS1 cars.

I think even stripper will acknowledge that LS1 cars vary greatly on power.

Heads or cam and the LS1 will run really strong.

Long tubes on the Mach seems to really help where they don't do as much on the LS1 cars I have seen.

2001stripper

Established Member
Keith.red.mach1 said:
I have done quite well against LS1 cars.

I think even stripper will acknowledge that LS1 cars vary greatly on power.

Heads or cam and the LS1 will run really strong.

Long tubes on the Mach seems to really help where they don't do as much on the LS1 cars I have seen.

I will admit LS1's vary on power......most are already powerful from the factory and then there are the freaks like mine. :-D

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
fyi ls1's make around 290 or so wheel hp from the factory. 00-01 ss's are about 325 flywheel but 02's were 345 flywheel.. same with ws6's. 00-01's were about 325 flywheel hp and 02 firehawks were 345 flywheel. but ofcourse the bigger motor is gonna pull once you get to higher speeds. they are ls1's. thats what they do best.lol. but mustangs have always been " quicker cars" no nec faster, but quicker.

MACHSELF

Established Member
SONICSNAKE03 said:
fyi ls1's make around 290 or so wheel hp from the factory. 00-01 ss's are about 325 flywheel but 02's were 345 flywheel.. same with ws6's. 00-01's were about 325 flywheel hp and 02 firehawks were 345 flywheel. but ofcourse the bigger motor is gonna pull once you get to higher speeds. they are ls1's. thats what they do best.lol. but mustangs have always been " quicker cars" no nec faster, but quicker.

Exactly...290rwhp or so... 315rwhp(stock), my arse!!! :bs:

MACHSELF

Established Member
2001stripper said:
Here we go again....just kiddin'. I made a similar post in the kill section and got flamed.
Stock vs. stock, IMO the 01-02 LS1's are faster, not out of the whole, but on the top end they will beat a Mach 1. 98-00 models are pretty even with a slight edge going to the Mach. 01-02 LS1's typically make 315-325 to the rear wheels which is more than the Mach makes to the engine. LS1's also make more torque. These are facts, not a bias opinion. Now when the modding begins, all bets are off.

12.43? My MAch with the same mods as yours went [email protected] MPH with a 1.88 60ft. With my 6 disc cd changer, PW, PL etc....

Last edited:

Fosters

Established Member
you ALWAYS hear about these 13.0 bone stock LS1s, but you never see them at the track...

i've seen very few in the high 12s that were n/a. it seems everyone and their daddy straps a bottle to them.

as to the guy claiming there are heads and cams available to the machs... wake up dude. a 2500 dollar cam swap isn't what i'd call "available"... 1500 cams, 700 springs, and whatever else you want/need... i'm never gonna understand why 1 cam with 16 lobes for a pushrod costs 100 bucks while 4 cams with 8 lobes each cost 1500 bucks... damn highway robbery :cuss:

AkronCobra

Established Member
MACHSELF said:
Exactly...290rwhp or so... 315rwhp(stock), my arse!!! :bs:
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords dynoed a 2002 anniversary ss 6 speed. Results were 316.7 rwhp and 340.9 torque 100% stock. They pulled the air filter and gained another 11.2hp and 6.3 pounds of torque. The heavily optioned ss curb weight was only 3411 pounds. August 2002 issue page 51 and 52. Ok mach 1 heroes tell me how the mach 1 is quicker and faster. Read the test to see how it ran.

Last edited:

2001stripper

Established Member
Fosters said:
you ALWAYS hear about these 13.0 bone stock LS1s, but you never see them at the track...

i've seen very few in the high 12s that were n/a. it seems everyone and their daddy straps a bottle to them."

I always hear about 12-second Machs and I have never personally seen any of these either. Most of the Machs that I see run mid to high 13's. Oh yea, I did see one that was running 13.3 @ 105 and it was heavily modified--engine, suspension, slicks, etc. :lol1:

2001stripper

Established Member
AkronCobra said:
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords dynoed a 2002 anniversary ss 6 speed. Results were 316.7 rwhp and 340.9 torque 100% stock. They pulled the air filter and gained another 11.2hp and 6.3 pounds of torque. The heavily optioned ss curb weight was only 3411 pounds. August 2002 issue page 51 and 52. Ok mach 1 heroes tell me how the mach 1 is quicker and faster. Read the test to see how it ran.

For the Mach guys that said 290rwhp for the LS1's, where are you now????
Your own Ford mag dynoed an '02 LS1 @ 316.7 rwhp and 340.9 rwtq. It weighs 3411 lbs, which is about the same as the Mach. So just speaking from a scientific point of view, wouldn't Car A that makes ~35 more rwhp and a ton more torque be faster than Car B that weighs about the same but makes ~35 less rwhp and a lot less torque. Physics is such an exact science.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
I be kickin their asses all day longggg!!!!! Sure I have 2 Cobra's but,theirs nothing like Stomping the shit out of these Chevy guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread